How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

9 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nah....they feel enraged because money really can't buy happiness so they put down anyone who spends less than them....which includes the prostitutes apparently.

With 4K THB a month you have not much to enjoy in live. Prostitutes have nothing to do with it. Why would you want to survive (drinking tap water and buying old discounted food) if you can have the good life too.  It aren't only old guys who think they are losers, young people with a proper job, think the same.

Edited by FritsSikkink

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't see anyone enraged, and I have no idea how old they are either. Perhaps you are just suffering from gerontophobia.

some people here definitely have a negative attitude towards people who dont spend much money, just do a search on 'cheap charlie'. maybe they feel bad because they are forking out fortunes just to keep a girl on their arm or maybe they feel superior because they have more money, anyway the point is valid.

also, 'old' does not necessarily refer to their age but to the fact they crop up again and again and have done for quite a while.

live and let live.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Personally, I have no problem with the OP's lifestyle...

But it seems he left off a few real expenses, like:

--visa/extension costs

--health insurance and/or medical expenses

--dental care/teeth cleaning

--trips back to the home country at some point/points

--a GF or wife or just one night fling sometimes

--mobile phone and/or home internet services

..and the list goes on and on...

I guess what I should have said more clearly is, I'm not one to judge the OP for the lifestyle choices he makes for himself...

But speaking personally, I don't think living like that would be very healthy or enjoyable. Definitely not for me...

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 hours ago, giddyup said:
Perhaps it's because those who live on very little, even if they can afford a more extravagant lifestyle, see it as a badge of honour, when there's really nothing noble about it. I lived a pretty frugal lifestyle when I was 19 and hitching around Europe and the US, but that was out of necessity.

If those guys want or have to live like that then fine, same with guys throwing money about, but the looking down on the former is just unnecessary

Agree with that, but for me this is just "existing", not living............

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

More like 4000 baht a day in our house :saai:

4,000 Baht = one week electricity.

tried hard not to comment but my dogs barked "coward! go and piss on the anthill!"

rabugento1.gif

Edited by Naam

I think if you want to live the frugal lifestyle and be happy with it you need to do the Kings "porpieng" thing. 1 rai of land . Fish pond in one corner, thai veg growing in another quarter, mango/fruit trees in another, simple bungalow house, teak trees around the edge for shade and timber. Cash expenses will be minimal when its established. You may end up giving food away or swapping it for sone cocunuts with a neighbour? You dont need to own the land. Go to to any rural area and rent a patch off a local. It might cost 4000 baht a year? 

Has anyone done this? 

14 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

It's loathing because you western pathetic bums slumming it in a devolping country make us normal people look bad as well

Go home before your 2 year overstay kicks in.

we all know it's going to happen

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Look bad?? To whom? Western pensioners?

Who gives a shit what they think? I certainly don't

To the locals?? I doubt it

What really makes us look bad to them is when they see farangs - young or old - dragging a bar girl in hotpants, platform shoes and last night's warpaint around a shopping mall.

Personally, I couldn't live ultra-frugally because I need my creature comforts (living space, boys' toys, Western diet etc) but I won't ridicule someone who chooses to pare spending to the minimum.

I find it hilarious when people who are mostly here to get more mileage out of their income than they could at home go around telling those who watch their spending that they're living too cheaply.

The poor make the worst snobs

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps it's because those who live on very little, even if they can afford a more extravagant lifestyle, see it as a badge of honour, when there's really nothing noble about it. I lived a pretty frugal lifestyle when I was 19 and hitching around Europe and the US, but that was out of necessity.

I'm still banging away like I was 19 ..... only with greater success.

I prefer  the meals I cook for 15-25bht to anything I can buy. You probably would too, I'm a great cook!

I have a choice of bicycles and lycra outfits, the weather is great (mostly), what more could I want? 

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I find it hilarious when people who are mostly here to get more mileage out of their income than they could at home go around telling those who watch their spending that they're living too cheaply.

The poor make the worst snobs

I live to hike and cycle, doesn't matter what money you have, it just ain't possible to live that lifestyle in the UK.

16 hours ago, Kadilo said:

If he's only washing his clothes 3 times a month I guessing he don't use much soap or shampoo. 

Wear your clothes in the shower, no need for extra soap, and the clothes dry overnight ready for the next day.

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Wear your clothes in the shower, no need for extra soap, and the clothes dry overnight ready for the next day.

A pack of laundry soap is 45 B for 450ml , I do months with that. This is Thailand , I'm naked most of the time , no need for clothes.

Ordinary soap is better than shampoo to shave.

3 minutes ago, shanesox said:

Who says it’s “old” folk being frugal? A lot of under 30 losers in Thailand living on a few thousand baht a month because they don’t want to work hard in their own country

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They don't want to part of the system , paying HIGH taxes for old people that have pensions that are way too high .

2 minutes ago, shanesox said:

Who says it’s “old” folk being frugal? A lot of under 30 losers in Thailand living on a few thousand baht a month because they don’t want to work hard in their own country

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Who are the biggest losers?

Younger people who live frugally in Thailand at 20-30 or old people who live frugally in Thailand after an entire lifetime of work?