arguing over satangs

digbeth

2 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I know, I'm in the UK, I was talking about here..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well' sounds like you live in a nice area mate if getting stabbed to death is the norm. I live in different countries and don't have that problem although in Scotland where I'm from originally its part n' parcel  of the Ned culture.......:post-4641-1156694572:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Re-read my statement mate. I referred to the UK not Thailand given that I know their mentality and cowardice on a 1 - 2 - 1 basis that is non existent.

Why do people talk about Thailand street mentality as though it's unique? This is ridiculous. Where do people on the street have referees to ensure fair fighting? There's only one place to have a fair fight - in a refereed competition fight with competitors of like size, weight and skills. On the street, it's anything goes - anywhere in the world. Unless the Thai guy is highly trained, why would you expect 1 on 1? On the street, the primary objective is to win, as easily as possible without being injured.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Why do people talk about Thailand street mentality as though it's unique? This is ridiculous. Where do people on the street have referees to ensure fair fighting? There's only one place to have a fair fight - in a refereed competition fight with competitors of like size, weight and skills. On the street, it's anything goes - anywhere in the world. Unless the Thai guy is highly trained, why would you expect 1 on 1? On the street, the primary objective is to win, as easily as possible without being injured.

Agree with most of what you say except about the winning part....objective is to get away without injury.  What is the point of a "victory" if you are left with a broken arm or leg, or permanent scarring, loss of teeth etc.  There are no split decisions on the streets and no judges to declare a "victory".

15 hours ago, tropo said:

Pray tell me where I insinuated that its unique in Thailand to get accosted? Let’s call a spade a spade my friend. Farangs for instance have been confronted in heavy numbers for many years not being able to defend one's self. So please don't rabbit on as if it doesn't happen mate. The ideology is that we're much bigger so they attack like a pack of hyenas bludgeoning one to near death having no thought for their victim. Now your gonna mention gangs around the world. Let’s keep it here since we’re describing Thai mentality in this instance.

I’ve lived in Thailand 12 years now preferring Europe which to me feels safer depending where you are graphically of course. I love Thailand as many others do although knowing one must be careful not to make annoy a Thai, what he considers’ loss of face’ or you will lose your face once his backup patrol gets ready to perform. I do appreciate your view of course but having been beaten up myself by a baying mob for refusing to pay an extortionate Tuk Tuk fare it left a bad taste in my mouth – probably the blood lol.

Anyway, thanks for your response keep happy………..

7 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Pray tell me where I insinuated that its unique in Thailand to get accosted? Let’s call a spade a spade my friend. Farangs for instance have been confronted in heavy numbers for many years not being able to defend one's self. So please don't rabbit on as if it doesn't happen mate. The ideology is that we're much bigger so they attack like a pack of hyenas bludgeoning one to near death having no thought for their victim. Now your gonna mention gangs around the world. Let’s keep it here since we’re describing Thai mentality in this instance.

I’ve lived in Thailand 12 years now preferring Europe which to me feels safer depending where you are graphically of course. I love Thailand as many others do although knowing one must be careful not to make annoy a Thai, what he considers’ loss of face’ or you will lose your face once his backup patrol gets ready to perform. I do appreciate your view of course but having been beaten up myself by a baying mob for refusing to pay an extortionate Tuk Tuk fare it left a bad taste in my mouth – probably the blood lol.

Well I think that is your mistake right there....it is always better to pay up and get away, than to argue on principle and take a hiding!

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

Well I think that is your mistake right there....it is always better to pay up and get away, than to argue on principle and take a hiding!

I agree
However, being Scottish we're proud people to and cannot change our cultural indifference becoming subservient at others threats or whims. Hospital food through the drip comes in different flavours these days. Certainly, a joy not to be missed ............ :passifier:

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

In your original dissertation, you talked about "cowardice". We all know what you're talking about and it's often mentioned on this forum with reference to how Thai people fight in packs. I wasn't singling out your reply and I apologize if it came across that way.

I've also been here 12 years and know full well to keep my mouth buttoned shut when I feel wronged by Thai people.

Personally i hate all change.

I find a stack of taped 1 baht coins in lieu of a 10 baht coin irritating. I would question it, with a really? But let it go.

An handful of satang instead of a 1 baht coin would drive me to distraction.

However i would just leave the unwanted change on the counter and not think about it again.

41 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Personally i hate all change.

I find a stack of taped 1 baht coins in lieu of a 10 baht coin irritating. I would question it, with a really? But let it go.

An handful of satang instead of a 1 baht coin would drive me to distraction.

However i would just leave the unwanted change on the counter and not think about it again.

I always wai when I receive a stack of 1 baht coins taped together as I consider it one of the highlights of my various trips to Thailand. I also must add that I have never ever received a taped 10 baht stack, only a 5 baht stack. Maybe it is a special cultural feature of Nakhon Nowhere to do the 10 baht stack thing.

12 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I always wai when I receive a stack of 1 baht coins taped together as I consider it one of the highlights of my various trips to Thailand. I also must add that I have never ever received a taped 10 baht stack, only a 5 baht stack. Maybe it is a special cultural feature of Nakhon Nowhere to do the 10 baht stack thing.

I just keep them tapped and spend it next time around. I can't remember ever receiving a roll of coins at a 7Eleven. They always give me the least possible coin change for the amount due. They are also kind enough to ask for a baht or two if the amount is just over the nearest 100 baht. They must have trained them because I find their handling of change exceptional. When some places give me a handful of 1 baht coins for amounts of 10 baht and up, that's annoying.

16 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

I agree
However, being Scottish we're proud people to and cannot change our cultural indifference becoming subservient at others threats or whims. Hospital food through the drip comes in different flavours these days. Certainly, a joy not to be missed ............ :passifier:

Ok maybe a haggis flavored drip could be possible, but how are the deep fried Mars bars not gonna clog up the IV tubing?:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, SheungWan said:

Happens quite often in Pattaya. When I get a ten baht stack it's usually gone very fast on the next baht bus. 

On 10/30/2017 at 9:58 AM, Golden Triangle said:

Never had a problem in our house, we have (I'll start at the bottom) a small Porcelain container where my Mrs deposits all Satangs, so when we go shopping she takes 75 Satang to cover all eventualities, we have another container where all the one & two Baht coins go and finally we have a rather large money box, made of wood, which we have been filling since December 15th last year with all our 5 & 10 Baht coins, due to be counted on 15th December this year, last time I weighed it it was over 7.5 Kilos, any guesses as to how much ?

I guess, it will be nicked on the 14 Dec.....thanks for the info mate.