Moblie phones on planes.

jak2002003

Last few flights I have been on I have seen many people using their mobile phones to play on Facebook, texting or using other social media when the plane is taking off, landing, when we are told to turn off all electrical appliances, laptops, phones etc.  As the stewardesses walk past to do safety check these people just hide their phones till they pass by.

Apart from the pathetic addiction some people seem to have at looking at these social media things every second of the day , I was wondering if it was actually unsafe to use the phones at these times? Or, is that just a myth?  

This never, ever has been demonstrated conclusively. Mobile phones have way too low transmitting power to actually interfere with the plane's avionics.

Ask any knowledgeable person and you'll be told that's not the real reason why people aren't supposed to use their mobile phones during take-off and landing phases. That's because they want people to be attentive and able to listen to the security announcements, be they routine or needed because of some incident.

Anyway, that's the rule, whatever the actual reason behind this is. It must be observed and I feel better when I see cabin crew carefully enforcing this and asking people to put down their phones. Not all of them do, unfortunately.

i dont have a smart phone, never have, i have an old 900 baht nokia that works just fine for me, a pc and tablet at home.

i read books and enjoy looking around me and taking in the wonderful world in which we live as i go about my day.

am i missing out on anything?

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

i dont have a smart phone, never have, i have an old 900 baht nokia that works just fine for me, a pc and tablet at home.

i read books and enjoy looking around me and taking in the wonderful world in which we live as i go about my day.

am i missing out on anything?

a few months ago i agreed with you and used to buy SIMs whenever i travelled abroad. a hassle which is not necessary anymore with an international VOIP (voice over internet protocol) provider charging a fraction for international calls. but i miss my 15 year old Motorola!

Archived