Lottery tickets - price increase?

ThaiBob

I buy lottery tickets regularly from the ladies in front of the entrance to Foodland on Pattaya Klang. A few weeks ago the price went from the regulated 80baht to 100 baht per ticket. Additionally they were grouping tickets, 2,5,10, no single tickets. Is there a change in policy?.... I thought the government tightened up on price gouging. Should this be reported? 1337? Several months ago I do know the government changed the price from two tickets for 80 baht to one ticket.

6 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I thought the government tightened up on price gouging.

The only thing permanent about this government is their presence at the through, which has been secured for the coming decades.

All other policies only last for as long as the media is willing to report on them.

I wanted to buy 2 recently in bkk but she said its only possible to buy 5 at once.. when I tried to show her the 2 that I want she didn't want to sell them to me.. and she even seemed to be sorry about it. moved on and bought my 2 from somewhere else... but some time ago I also had someone tell me they could only be bought in 5 packs.. so maybe there are really special 5 packs ? Price was same I think.

Edited by Austrian26

33 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The price is printed on the ticket.

Mrs C reckons they charge extra for "lucky" numbers. :smile:

Yes, I see price is on the ticket, ALL tickets were 100 baht and grouped in multiples, no single tickets. This vendor has a lot of tickets for sale. 

46 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

I wanted to buy 2 recently in bkk but she said its only possible to buy 5 at once.. when I tried to show her the 2 that I want she didn't want to sell them to me.. and she even seemed to be sorry about it. moved on and bought my 2 from somewhere else... but some time ago I also had someone tell me they could only be bought in 5 packs.. so maybe there are really special 5 packs ? Price was same I think.

They charge anywhere from 100 to150 baht for grouped tickets  here was a stack of 20, she wanted 3000 baht and didn't even blink an eye, I laughed and walked away.  Pattaya Thai has a vendor that has easily 5000 tickets, you can buy singles, doubles up to 30 tickets with the same number, you can also order numbers from him - he knows where they all are...........might take a few days.  3 months ago he had the numbers I wanted, and I won 100K............I'm a loyal customer :smile::smile:

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

They charge anywhere from 100 to150 baht for grouped tickets  here was a stack of 20, she wanted 3000 baht and didn't even blink an eye, I laughed and walked away.  Pattaya Thai has a vendor that has easily 5000 tickets, you can buy singles, doubles up to 30 tickets with the same number, you can also order numbers from him - he knows where they all are...........might take a few days.  3 months ago he had the numbers I wanted, and I won 100K............I'm a loyal customer :smile::smile:

As usual you mention nothing of  the times you lost. The Thai lottery is really a huge scam. 80 baht and you win all numbers and the jackpot is nothing campared to any other countries lottery of millions and millions of pounds/$$ etc. 

if you play more than one or two you are doomed to loose. The odds are pathetic. Go to Myanmar At Mae Sot border and play HI Lo

It's the same all over Thailand. Buy single tickets, it'll cost you 80 baht each. Buy pack tickets, they're 100 baht each up to the eight pack which costs 900 baht all up. I told them nicely to piss off. I don't want to know how much they charge for a pack of 20. So I just buy 1 six pack for 600 baht every lottery, same last three numbers every time.

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes they tightened up, then it went floppy again!

Nothing new!

Don't buy them, waste of money anyhow.  They aggravate me by pestering me to buy tickets in restaurants when I am eating out....

"Yes they tightened up, then it went floppy again!

Nothing new!"

Standard practice by Government, always much talk but little action :post-4641-1156693976:

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

As usual you mention nothing of  the times you lost. The Thai lottery is really a huge scam. 80 baht and you win all numbers and the jackpot is nothing campared to any other countries lottery of millions and millions of pounds/$$ etc. 

if you play more than one or two you are doomed to loose. The odds are pathetic. Go to Myanmar At Mae Sot border and play HI Lo

Since you mentioned it, I think I am playing with their money now, have won well over 700,000 baht in past 10 years or so -   Tks for the tip on the Hi Lo - haven't been that way yet, maybe next Visa run.  I have a dozen numbers each in Powerball and Mega Millions playing  twice a week in the USA .............. so far have only won small prizes, but Hey, everyone needs a hobby, beats sitting on a bar stool all day.

6 hours ago, Jimeo47 said:

So I just buy 1 six pack for 600 baht every lottery

Why dont you just buy single tickets instead? Pick 6 different tickets and save 120 baht. 

Edited by balo

by law the vendors are not supposed to sell the tickets for more than 80 baht.  If caught overcharging they face one month in jail or a ฿10,000 fine.

Each vendor is given 500 tickets per draw to sell.  They make ฿9.60 off of each ticket, if sold at ฿80.  So if they sell all their tickets in a month they get ฿9,600.  So it's no wonder they want to make more money.  If they sold them all at ฿100 it would come out to ฿29,600 a month. 

So even if they did happen to get fined they would still come out ahead for that month compared to selling them at the ฿80 price.

As a side note only 60% of the money is paid back in prizes which is really low compared to other lotteries.