Ferrocene in Thai fuel?

kaorop

Wondering if anyone has info on if ferrocene is allowed in the fuel here? Wouldnt suprise me 1 bit if they do..And doubt the refineries would be forthcoming. I finally got to run some decent fuel in my bike and it ran much better. So Ive been doing some research and came across this nasty tidbit. Ferrocene causes a substantial increase in engine wear. Odd story how i got the good fuel too.    "Ferrocene

Ferrocene is an iron compound that is a cheaper alternative to MMT and is also used as an alternative to TEL by fuel refineries, predominantly those in 3rd world countries. Legislation in most 1st world countries (including South Africa) prohibits the use of ferrocene by fuel refineries. This is due to the Iron Oxide which is formed during combustion being highly abrasive resulting in massive increases in engine wear thereby significantly shortening engine life and its propensity for quickly building up on spark plugs causing a short circuit which results in a misfire."

Edited by kaorop

I know Thailand has some low quality petrol , and very low quality diesel. Palm oil is added to diesel fuel , in varying percentages , depending on its surplus production figures. Ethanol in petrol causes no end of problems. Untill the diesel fuel situation is fully sorted , Thailand cant cleanly run "Euro 6 " diesel vehicles.

There is a laboratory in Maptaput that will test fuel and give you the numbers if anyone wishes to pay and give them a sample.

I went to a Shell station in Sabah one time with my petrol Suzuki and "the gang" was dipping a bucket on a string into the kerosene (cooking fuel) tank and dumping the buckets into the adjacent diesel tank, in broad daylight.

Edited by VocalNeal

When I worked in Iraq a few years back, the local truck drivers when filling up their 'rigs'  (A term I use very loosely as they were more like chunks of rusted steel held together with welding slag) would put in 4 litres of engine oil into the fuel tank.

When I asked one of my local employees why they did that he said that the fuel burns too hot and makes the engine dry.  <deleted>???  Fuel at the time was very cheap in Iraq although it was cheaper before the USA invasions.

Things one sees huh?

Actually Kaorop,

I would think that if this product was being added in any great amount or was the 'normal' procedure by fuel retailers let alone manufacturers, one would see/hear of a lot more vehicles 'dying' as a result.

In the 5 years Ive been here I havent seen or heard of that occurring. And quite frankly at the moment I aint going to lose any sleep over it.  If sudenly one of my vehicles was to develop some kind of cancer after a few tanks of some miracle fuel then YES I would be somewhat pissed off and demand answers.

At the moment Im more thinking along the lines of 'Storm in a teacup"

OP complained about 

On 10/30/2017 at 11:04 PM, kaorop said:

its propensity for quickly building up on spark plugs causing a short circuit which results in a misfire."

So change the plug(s) more often, if overly concerned.

No one has said that Ferrocene was "a dangerous fuel additive". Which I seriously doubt is used here otherwise the huge Thai auto industry would complain as they would see an increase in warranty claims. 

It is at best fake news. At worst a tinfoil hat theory.

Edited by VocalNeal

On Wed Nov 01 2017 at 7:58 PM, CMKiwi said:

Actually Kaorop,

I would think that if this product was being added in any great amount or was the 'normal' procedure by fuel retailers let alone manufacturers, one would see/hear of a lot more vehicles 'dying' as a result.

In the 5 years Ive been here I havent seen or heard of that occurring. And quite frankly at the moment I aint going to lose any sleep over it.  If sudenly one of my vehicles was to develop some kind of cancer after a few tanks of some miracle fuel then YES I would be somewhat pissed off and demand answers.

At the moment Im more thinking along the lines of 'Storm in a teacup"

So you know nothing but are still claim the current slogan of the year...ive raised a legitimate concern and others have bought some info. You've got nothing to add. The doors just below, please exit out the backway.

8 hours ago, kaorop said:

ive raised a legitimate concern

No you haven't. This is a What if Superman had worked for the Germans, thread. You have simply spread your uncertainty or ignorance.

Wondering if anyone has info

As I said if you wish to know for sure there is a lab in Maptaphut. Take/send a sample to them, instead of living in doubt. 

Next you will start a thread about what oil is best for bikes or which is the best anti-freeze. Hey how about "Did the Russians really help Trump? Or "Did the Cubans really use a sonic weapon.

Next will be ? Wondering if anyone has info on pentacarbonyl iron.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 2.11.2017 at 7:39 AM, c18gmr said:

Well I know that PTT doesn’t as there fuel is tested via ASTM standards. 

No idea about these additives.

Driving Mazda 2 on PTT E20 (20% ethanol) since 6 years without the slightest problem (85000 km).

Wife's scooter running on no name 91 (E10). Runs and runs since 6 years.

13 year old Toyota VIOS running on benzene 95 (no ethanol).

So I will hardly worry about fuel.

(even with avoiding ethanol on the old Toyota I seem to be alone)

Ethanol: if the vehicle is specified for it, it will be NO problem.

An ineradicable story.

Palm oil with diesel: it's no secret and millions of pickups (too many) seem to run decades on it.

For the diesel limousine owners there is some "premium diesel" (rarely seen). I doubt that the diesel owners can refrain to that.