Apple Ipod

kkengvibul

hi there!

My aunt just brought her 40gb Apple ipod back to Thailand from the States to get it fixed. The problem i have right now is I dont know which generation it is. ( I believe it is 1st generation)

This ipod has the play, menu and all those function buttons on top of the wheel (and the screen is smaller than the newest ipod video). I would like to know whether it is a first generation ipod and how much would it approximately cost if it were new (or used)?

kkengvibul

ps. i just want to know how much she should spend to fix it...(so that its still worth the money).......

if its too expensive then i can tell her to buy a new one

hi there!

My aunt just brought her 40gb Apple ipod back to Thailand from the States to get it fixed. The problem i have right now is I dont know which generation it is. ( I believe it is 1st generation)

This ipod has the play, menu and all those function buttons on top of the wheel (and the screen is smaller than the newest ipod video). I would like to know whether it is a first generation ipod and how much would it approximately cost if it were new (or used)?

kkengvibul

ps. i just want to know how much she should spend to fix it...(so that its still worth the money).......

if its too expensive then i can tell her to buy a new one

this document will help you figure out which model

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688

It sounds like a generation 3 model.

It depends on what is wrong with it. if it just needs a battery then only about $20. If its more serious then probably not worth the trouble when you can buy a new one for not too much.

thanks cobra...!

the battery is just one of the problems.....

when i connect it to the computer and try to browse it in 'my computer' it just hangs.....

a battery alone can cause that problem. I had to reinstall my software after replacing the battery because it was corrupted. My gen 3 is still going strong after the new battery. Look for aftermarket batteries because they have around 30% more run time and cheaper than stock Apple replacement batteries.

just goggle "Ipod replacement bettery" and lots of places sell them online and will mail it to you.

i tried it earlier today....when i turn the ipod on.....the battery was almost full but then a few mins later its almost gone.

I probably wont go through the hassle of looking/ordering a replacement battery online, but thanks anyways! I appreciate your help.

I'll go to the apple center at siam paragon or siam discovery tomorrow to ask them about the problems. Plus if its too much trouble, i think my aunt will just throw it away or smth (not literally).

thanks again

kkengvibul

i tried it earlier today....when i turn the ipod on.....the battery was almost full but then a few mins later its almost gone.

I probably wont go through the hassle of looking/ordering a replacement battery online, but thanks anyways! I appreciate your help.

I'll go to the apple center at siam paragon or siam discovery tomorrow to ask them about the problems. Plus if its too much trouble, i think my aunt will just throw it away or smth (not literally).

thanks again

kkengvibul

oh okay I just reread your post. Well not a great idea to bring an Apple product to Thailand to get it fixed. Anything serious and they just send it to a Singapore service center and they in turn will often return it to the states.

You can get the batteries in Thailand at various shops. Yes good idea to get someone to troubleshoot it. Could be anything.