Sending prescription medicines to Thailand from UK

Pesky

I hope someone can advise me - thanks in advance.

Following a heart attack 7 years ago, my UK doctor prescribes me various medicines, which I know are available over the counter here as I have previously easily bought them in various Chiang Mai pharmacies. On a recent trip back to the UK my doctor prescribed me a couple of months supply. However, I forgot to bring the medicines with me when I returned to Thailand

My question is whether or not there would be a problem with Thai Customs &/or Duty Payable if my son mailed the stuff to me? Also, any advice as to how the medicines should be described/valued on the mailing documentation?

Once again, thanks again for any help with this.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

It is illegal to import medicines without a licence.

You'll probably get away with it if the medicines are sent by regular mail, but it remains illegal.

It might also be illegal or at least prohibited for someone to post prescription medicine internationally from the UK.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/international-what-can-i-send

http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloader/listCustomsProhibitedArticlesEn.pdf

I've been having meds sent from the UK about 4 times per year for the past 5 years. Always sent registered post and no problems  encountered. They usually take about  10 days to arrive.

Wish I had a Baht for everything I've had sent me that shouldn't have been due to being illegal or duty payable on the item but have got through.  Avoid having the item sent by courier IE TNT or DHL.  Do as 'jbt' above says.

And write 'gift, no value' on the 'customs declaration slip'.

Edited by sinbin

It is technically illegal  to import medications unless you have an FDA import license (which you cannot get). In practice, though, customs usually lets small quantities sent by regular post through.  The key is small amount at a time and by regular post, never courier.

Not so sure it would be wise to put "gift, no value" though...should they open it (which they might) and find pharmaceuticals might be a red flag.  Suggest "medication for personal use, no commercial value" or something like that. Perhaps jtb could advise what he has written on the customs declaration.

Not really worth your while to send via postal services.

The customs folk in BKK go into meltdown, when a package comes in and does not conform to the standards set in the tarriff or restricted items or medications, imports book.

Try buying Beyer Glucose Monitor test strips in Thailand or bringing them in via normal post? Courier is a big no no.

My recent example, I wanted a new stethoscope, not your average mickey mouse one, but a very good model and make.

Long story - short version, it got held up in customs in BKK.

Resons:- Can't import, you not a doctor, can't import, no FDA permit, you cannot practice to be doctor here, etc etc.

This went on for a week. I told them to return the item to the sender. They did.

The stethascope company had a rep coming to Thailand within that week. She flew in with it and brought it to me personally, no tax ever paid for it. The scope was still in the Return to Sender box, marked openned by Thai Customs.

If they could just think outside the fish tank and charge me a propper import tax rate, they could have made some money, but nooo, they had to get all iffy about it. They lost.

Just go to a doctor and or hospital and get a propper Thai script and buy the stuff here.

Then next time you go home, you can buy your extra meds in the UK.

Edited by Inepto Cracy

2 hours ago, jtb said:

I've been having meds sent from the UK about 4 times per year for the past 5 years. Always sent registered post and no problems  encountered. They usually take about  10 days to arrive.

Good information::
Strange how people just love telling others about it being illegal and all that crap. Bet Nobody has ever been sent to prison or banished from Thailand for this mere misdemeanor but scathing remarks are expected from the inept cretinous Victor Meldrew types.

Victor.jpg

Edited by ScotBkk

A few points...

1.  Do NOT send by Courier

2.  Regular track-able post

3.  Write 'food supplements', 'no commercial value', do not write 'Gift"

4.  Only small parcels, enough for 1 month supply, NOT more

5.  Total Value MAX US$ 50-60.-, including shipping, per parcel

During my 30+ years in TH, I have done every mistake possible... 

Since, about 10 years, the above points have worked EVERY time...

Cheers.

5 hours ago, laochef said:

A few points...

1.  Do NOT send by Courier

2.  Regular track-able post

3.  Write 'food supplements', 'no commercial value', do not write 'Gift"

4.  Only small parcels, enough for 1 month supply, NOT more

5.  Total Value MAX US$ 50-60.-, including shipping, per parcel

During my 30+ years in TH, I have done every mistake possible... 

Since, about 10 years, the above points have worked EVERY time...

Cheers.

It took you 20 years to get it right? There pretty straightforward steps, who would write gift on a parcel lolol!!! 

That’s the first parcel I’d steal if I was the postman.

just imagine you were sending something ordinary you couldn’t give a crap about, it will arrive. Put it in the postbox first though.

33 minutes ago, Seanbhoy said:

I send a bit of stuff from Ebay to Europe, just put the address

In Thailand it's not compulsory to fill out a customs declaration form when sending items abroad. But in most other countries it is. 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:18 PM, Sheryl said:

It is technically illegal  to import medications unless you have an FDA import license (which you cannot get). In practice, though, customs usually lets small quantities sent by regular post through.  The key is small amount at a time and by regular post, never courier.

Not so sure it would be wise to put "gift, no value" though...should they open it (which they might) and find pharmaceuticals might be a red flag.  Suggest "medication for personal use, no commercial value" or something like that. Perhaps jtb could advise what he has written on the customs declaration.

'Prescription medication - no commercial value' is what I have written on the declaration.