Beware alcohol checkpoints at Loy Krathong celebrations Friday

webfact

Beware alcohol checkpoints at Loy Krathong celebrations Friday

6pm.jpg

Picture: INN News

Police in Bangkok are preparing to keep a close eye on celebrations marking the annual Loy Krathong festival, reported INN News.

Deputy national police chief Chalermkiat Sriworakhan joined with acting commissioner Chanthep Sisawech in announcing measures to ensure the festival passes off smoothly.

Chalermkiat said that checkpoints looking for motorists on the roads with alcohol in their systems would be set up throughout the capital.

He said that the Loy Krathong festival was an important cultural occasion and happy time when Thais and tourists would enjoy the occasion. But he cautioned that the festival could also mean crime.

He said that fire crackers and fireworks were banned and warned entertainment establishments not to let in underage drinkers.

He asked the public to celebrate appropriately and float their boats according to the regulations without annoying others.

Chanthep added that lanterns must not be set off into the Bangkok skies and anyone who did so would be immediately arrested.

There are only two provinces where this is allowed - Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai - and even then permission to do so must be sought first.

Loy Krathong involves floating a floral boat for good luck. The festival was first celebrated in its modern form during the reign of Rama V but the tradition's roots date back further to the Kingdom of Sukhothai in the 13th century.

This year's celebration is marked on the day of the full moon this Friday November 3rd. 

Source: INN News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-01

22 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

Are you saying half of the Thai men should not drive.

If you can give me facts on that every second Thai man is drunk while driving. Then the answer is yes.
I do think that you will find it very hard to prove and that you only took a sarcastic number out of your dreams, though. :smile:

You are also only talking about Thai men. What about Thai women, partying tourists and all the foreigners living in the country?

Edited by Get Real

"Chalermkiat said that checkpoints looking for motorists on the roads with alcohol in their systems would be set up throughout the capital."

I think the BiB will have a very lucrative checkpoint.  However the number of offenders won't increase just because it's Loy Krathong.

Party collection box getting low, is it!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This year's celebration is marked on the day of the full moon this Friday November 3rd. 

Full moon is on Saturday November 4th at 05:23 UTC !!! 
05:23 UTC that is 12:23 Bangkok time !!! (Bangkok= UTC + 7)
Planet Thailand, the center of the universe !!!

Edited by PAIBKK

39 minutes ago, mrfill said:

No need to 'beware' of alcohol checkpoints if you simply DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. It's not difficult.

I must admit it is a strange headline. Almost as if there is a danger from the checkpoints.

My neighbors are drunk everynight, if they don't get drunk some night it means that they are really out of money. This is beyond alcoholism. If you don't see any bottle in their hands it means that they ar on alcohole I.V. ??

Edited by Foozool