Canada – Income Letter: Source of Income?

I will be doing my 1st annual extension of stay (retirement visa extension) soon and would like to go the ‘income route’ rather than the ‘800k in bank for 3 months’ route.  However I am only 50 and thus do not have any pension income.

Question:  Does anyone have experience obtaining the income letter from the Canadian embassy in Bangkok based on employment income from Canada (T4 or Income Tax Statement) or investment income from Canada (dividends/interest)?  Thanks. John

P.S.  I have e-mailed the embassy.  They replied very quickly saying to bring my income tax statement but did not specifically address the source of income.

Thanks UbonJoe and Goethe.

Goethe:  Do you mean that they want to see documentary proof that it came from Canada or that they want to see documentary proof that it is pension income (vs employment or investment income)?  I can easily prove that the money came from Canada with my Tax slips (T4), Income tax statement and wire transfers from Canada to my bank account in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Goethe said:

When I asked them why, they said: "In case we are questioned by Thai Immigration."

their response is curious; as a USA citizen , our consulate/embassies here do Not require actual proof/support, they just rubber stamp a notarized form (altho i suspect they Will So require such proof in the future) of self-declared income ;so....why would the thais treat canada any differently than the Usa ?

24 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

their response is curious; as a USA citizen , our consulate/embassies here do Not require actual proof/support, they just rubber stamp a notarized form (altho i suspect they Will So require such proof in the future) of self-declared income ;so....why would the thais treat canada any differently than the Usa ?

It's the Canadian treating Canadians!

I agree - there are far too many Americans with a casual relationship with the truth re. Affidavits resulting eventually with proof required at the Thai Immi office.

Edited by Evilbaz

For each of my three Non-O renewals the Cdn Embassy had me swear an oath to a statement that my income was $x,xxx per month. With that Statutory Declaration they provided me a letter of income for Thai Immigration. On each occasion I provided my income tax statements, which they referenced in the first and third letters but not the second. I've not been asked by the Embassy for income documentation, and couldn't find an indication on their website of supporting docs required for a letter of income. An email or call to them should clarify requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Make sure you book your appointment online... started this new process around 2 years ago.

I showed income tax papers and then you swear an affidavit... and then you cough up 50 bucks.

Seeing the exchange rate, if you have 50 Canadian dollars better use that... you will lose out on the exchange.

Viva el Trou d'eau!!! Hola

Edited by LazySlipper
grammar