Stupid rule... need a Work permit to get the blue book on the car

ghworker2010

TIAT  This is amazing thailand. If one financed the purchase of a car in Thailand years ago and showing the WP when applying.... Pay the monthly payments on time and  then a few yrs later not working anymore and pay out the loan. They will not issue the blue book without a WP. <deleted> is all I can say. What a stupid rule. 

Do you agree?

It is not necessary to have a work permit to get a car blue book.

Plenty of retirees and others not working own cars here, myself included.

Who is saying you need a WP? And how is it that you have had this car for years without a blue book for it?

When financed, the bank holds the blue book. It is my understanding the bank is shown as the owner.  After the loan is paid off, they request the documents necessary to have the the Land Transport Office change the owners name from the bank to the purchaser's name.

In my case, the loans have been in my Thai partner's name and upon loan payoff (3 vehicles over the past 14 years - same bank for each), they sent the paperwork to be completed, sent back, payment of fees needed for the transfer.  Shortly thereafter, we received the blue book in Partner's name.

It is also my understanding that the Land Transport Office will accept, if blue book is to be in a foreigner's name,  a Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration (or their Embassy) OR a Work Permit.

Have you asked the lending bank about providing the Certificate of Residence in lieu of the Work Permit?

banks in thailand are zombies when it comes to required documents. they only know the WP and passport. i had encountered this a few months ago. based on my previous non-f visa (under section 15 or something), i didn't need a work permit. while that visa was headache-free as far as dealings with the bureau of immigration (90-day reporting was not needed, visa was free, etc) were concerned, banks and other government agencies didn't understand it.

the bank that financed my loan also looked for a wp, but a letter from my employer did the trick. what i understood about the whole thing was that the department of land transport (DLT) only needed a document that shows my name AND a local address (similar situation when  i renewed my driver's license) to allow the ownership transfer. it may be best to consult your local DLT office as to what they really need. it may just be the bank giving you a hard time.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Who is saying you need a WP? And how is it that you have had this car for years without a blue book for it?

While I'm sure you're correct, I've had several irritating issues with the bank after my WP expired, including not being able to wire funds overseas to pay some bills.  Mine's actually not a WP issue.  It's a residence issue.  I'll be able to start wiring funds again when (if?) I get on a retirement visa, but not on a tourist visa or visa exempt.  (That info coming from the Kasikorn Bank manager)  I suspect those on 12 month extensions based on marriage or other factors are okay, as well.  God only knows about ED visas...

That's why I asked if it was the bank, the DLT or who the OP has the issues with.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I suggest you read the OP's post again...it answers all your questions?

This sounds like an arbitrary rule applied by the finance company / bank.

As others have said, all that's required is a certificate of residence, you need to point this out to them and convince them to do it this way.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I suggest you read the OP's post again...it answers all your questions?

How  so? The  WP  is  not   the  main  factor afaik. A  Certificate  of Residence obtained   under  various    justifible   need should  be  sufficient.  Perhaps  the  op   used  the   WP   which has  expired   and  the  pedants  at   the Bank   cannot  see a way  to accept   another   validification?