"We gave them lovely umbrellas - they can charge what they like!", official tells Pattaya beach vendors

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, selavy59 said:

It's called the marketplace. If people are willing to pay 100 baht then that is what vendors will charge. If they don't get enough customers then they will drop prices.

Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat was quite in saying that the market will decide.

Some people don't get the difference between being happy about how much they pay for something vs how much they are "willing to pay"

IF a customer is unhappy about having to pay an extra 20 baht they always have the option to walk away... but my bet is 90% of people will suck it up and just cough up the extra 20 baht.

The real question is if that customer will go back again and spend more money.

Honestly if you cannot afford between 60 and 100 Baht to sit on a chair on the beach for as long as you want then stay home or sit on the sand.

It's the equivalent of 2-3 Euro/$ or 2£.

If it's going to ruin your holiday, then their is lots of threads doing the rounds at the moment about how to live on 4000 Baht a month which will probably give alternatives to sitting on a beach chair,e.g sitting on a hard rock. 

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I see customers on the pic above,

and I saw many customers when walking along the beach yesterday afternoon.

Why asking for 40 baht when many tourists are ready to pay 100 ?

Tourists were already charged more by some vendors when they still had the old setup, old chairs etc....

But 100 baht on your own isn't so much, and again we start with the double pricing standards.  Will Thai visitors be charged 100 Baht when they come with their families? Why not just charge 500 baht to the foreign tourists, if they are ready to pay 100, they are ready to pay 500 baht per seat.  Or take the middle road and charge the falang 300 Baht. 

The umbrellas are sponsored, as they were before. nothing new here. But why change the chairs, I don't see a reason why that was necessary as the previous ones were sturdy chairs that were stable to sit in, unlike these new ones that really aren't made for these beaches. 

Politicians shouldn't be meddling with business at all. But I am pretty sure someone got some serious kick backs from this.

5 minutes ago, irishken said:

Honestly if you cannot afford between 60 and 100 Baht to sit on a chair on the beach for as long as you want then stay home or sit on the sand.

It's the equivalent of 2-3 Euro/$ or 2£.

If it's going to ruin your holiday, then their is lots of threads doing the rounds at the moment about how to live on 4000 Baht a month which will probably give alternatives to sitting on a beach chair,e.g sitting on a hard rock. 

I usually go with thai friends and family which means I am spending for like 6 to 10 people.  A day out on the beach already means I am spending about 2000-3000 baht on that beach, I think that is more then enough since 75% goes to the beach chair operators. 

But again, some people have absolutely not the slighest clue about economics, these people need to get their chairs filled so they can sell their other services as well (drinks, icecream, food etc....).  In another post I said for all I care, they can charge 300 - 500 bath per beach chair to falangs. Why charge more for Thai families? Chair too expensive, they go sit on a mat on the beach in the sun/shade of tree and buy their wares in 7/11 or the walk-in beach vendors. 

The vendors have less space to setup their business but there is more beach available for everybody to bring their own gear. Again, operators are losing out.

And you start about what is affordable? Maybe start thinking what is fair pricing. 

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Asking "how much?" will generally result in them knowing how much.

He is right, it should be clearly advertised how much the rent for a chair and umbrella is.

Asking how much result in getting scammed.

Edited by Bastos60

11 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

Tourists were already charged more by some vendors when they still had the old setup, old chairs etc....

But 100 baht on your own isn't so much, and again we start with the double pricing standards.  Will Thai visitors be charged 100 Baht when they come with their families? Why not just charge 500 baht to the foreign tourists, if they are ready to pay 100, they are ready to pay 500 baht per seat.  Or take the middle road and charge the falang 300 Baht. 

The umbrellas are sponsored, as they were before. nothing new here. But why change the chairs, I don't see a reason why that was necessary as the previous ones were sturdy chairs that were stable to sit in, unlike these new ones that really aren't made for these beaches. 

Politicians shouldn't be meddling with business at all. But I am pretty sure someone got some serious kick backs from this.

ever tried sunbathing in a deck chair ?

2 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

He is right, it should be clearly advertised how much the rent for a chair and umbrella is.

Asking how much result in getting scammed.

I am right also.   There are no fixed prices so there cannot be a scam, it's up to the customer to accept the price or rent from another vendor, .

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Asking "how much?" will generally result in them knowing how much.

you shouldn't have to ask, same walking into a bar you have never been in, their prices should be clearly displayed

If these people are prepared to set a price then they should be prepared to display it, the only reason they will not display prices is because they want to hide the price, and 100baht is too much for a lounger in Thailand a 3rd world country

People come on here and compare prices with their western countries .................... you are not in your western country

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

No idea what you are talking about! There has never been a fixed rate for chairs on Pattaya beach. From what I know price was varying from 40 to 80, or maybe even 100 baht already. Why would that cause a problem from now?

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!!!! Take a hard look around pattaya and thailand it is now like a ghost town compaired to 5 years ago. Reason!!! Us farangs are sick of thai scams and cons in 5 years time you will be back farming rice. You  have killed your tourist industry. 

Edited by Redvic
Mistake

He's absolutely right. Price is a matter for supply and demand. It's not the government's business to set prices.

Am I right in saying the equipment was provided free of charge by the authority?
In which case I'd have thought the authority has a definite right, in fact a duty, to have an input into prices.
Otherwise there would be an opening for . . . corruption!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Since most hotels - even cheap ones - have pools, why bother to pay to sit on a refuse littered beach and watch the turds float by ? Better - and cheaper - to stay by the pool. remember that 100 baht a day would be better spent on a decent gog-go girl at the end of the holiday !

You must be cheap - or think this is the '70's -  if you think 100 baht a day is going to get you anything from a go-go girl, let alone a decent one.  It would be amusing to see you try though.

The vendors have no overheads, since the equipment and territory have been provided by the State.  The work requires no skill and is hardly arduous.  Not worth more than minimum wage.  So, if they make more than 300 baht a day, they're exploiting tourists.

Edited by Oxx

The change at Pattaya Beach is ridiculous ad it's not the price. The chairs are made of plastic and will not hold a Wester person's body weight without falling over. They are cheap.  The old canvas chairs were made out of wood with heavy canvas and could easily support any person's body weight.

In addition, the new plastic chairs cannot fit comfortably around a table and take up too much space- this eliminates a group of 5-6 people from sitting around a table and enjoying food.

In addition- they took away the beer and alcohol which most foreigners on holiday and most Thais from Bangkok consumed with their food.

I, for one, will not be sitting in a beach chair at Pattaya which is considerably unfit for the beach and order food which I cannot enjoy with my large family and not even enjoy a nice cold beer during my beach outing. The powers that be can do what they want and so can I- by going to another beach in another province.  Really too bad- they are making attempted enjoyment a drudgery. 

They are all charging 100 Baht......even my regular concession lady was 100 baht and no way on earth would she gouge me. I walked from Soi 2 back down to close to TQ1 and asked 4 other concessions casually how much for the new sunbeds and all were 100 baht no exceptions. As I was already well brown no way did some think i was just off the plane.

I agree if numbers are well down that use them prices might reduce but only might

3 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe up to them to set the price but it should be clearly displayed so that visitors know exactly how much they are going to be charged

I agree that it would be great if Thais clearly displayed prices especially in some shops and markets but as we all know that would restrict them scamming everyone.

29 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

I usually go with thai friends and family which means I am spending for like 6 to 10 people.  A day out on the beach already means I am spending about 2000-3000 baht on that beach, I think that is more then enough since 75% goes to the beach chair operators. 

But again, some people have absolutely not the slighest clue about economics, these people need to get their chairs filled so they can sell their other services as well (drinks, icecream, food etc....).  In another post I said for all I care, they can charge 300 - 500 bath per beach chair to falangs. Why charge more for Thai families? Chair too expensive, they go sit on a mat on the beach in the sun/shade of tree and buy their wares in 7/11 or the walk-in beach vendors. 

The vendors have less space to setup their business but there is more beach available for everybody to bring their own gear. Again, operators are losing out.

And you start about what is affordable? Maybe start thinking what is fair pricing. 

Ok so if you are going with Thai friends then i know you are not paying full price as i let my Wife look after the bill when leaving, and i know she doesn't pay full price for the 4 of us.(2 kids)

I know double pricing is not fair but it is what it is. I do think up to 60 -100 baht is a fair price considering they have to set them up each morning and then take them put them away in the evening. Yes they have to fill the seats to make money from the other services but have they not stopped the vendors from selling alcohol on the beaches?. So that is one source of money been taking away from them. 

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

If these people are prepared to set a price then they should be prepared to display it, the only reason they will not display prices is because they want to hide the price, and 100baht is too much for a lounger in Thailand a 3rd world country

You're partly correct, display the price or tell someone the price, there isn't any difference.  B100 probably is too much for a 3rd world country but Thailand is being discussed here and Thailand isn't 3rd world.

It's called the marketplace. If people are willing to pay 100 baht then that is what vendors will charge. If they don't get enough customers then they will drop prices.
Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat was quite in saying that the market will decide.
Not in Thailand they will increase it to get more money out of the customers they already have.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

The operators must increase the price, if no, how they could pay the "rent" .

Why must they increase the price when according to Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat :-  "the operators had got the stuff for free."

Obviously increasing the price for renting out new equipment that they got for nothing is justified by saying that "they have to pay the rent"! 

Edited by sambum