Best wood fired Napoli style pizza in town

torrzent

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are looking for a crispy bottom try Bella Italia on 2nd Rd, near the sauna opposite Soi 6, or their smaller outlet; Little Bella Italia; on Soi 31 off Naklua Rd. Prices from around 200 Baht with a wide choice of toppings.

Edited by champers

3 hours ago, champers said:

If you are looking for a crispy bottom try Bella Italia on 2nd Rd, near the sauna opposite Soi 6, or their smaller outlet; Little Bella Italia; on Soi 31 off Naklua Rd. Prices from around 200 Baht with a wide choice of toppings.

Napoli style does not have a crispy bottom. In fact, true Napoli style crust will BEND when you pick it up. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza

When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He specifically asked for NAPOLI style. Does Grottino do NAPOLI style?
That is a very specific thing. A subset of Italian style pizza.

Sorry, I was not aware of the differences....

Can you explain briefly what the differences are ?

Thanks....

Peppina's in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Soi 33) is pretty decent; they claim to adhere to guidelines set by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (not sure if they fly in the required variety of tomato on a daily basis). But you have to travel to Bangkok. Don't know of any places in Pattaya that do this ...

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Drifters in NaJomiten.  Great pizza, craft beer, and right on the water.  Perfect for watching the sun set.

Totally agree. Pity the rest of the menu is crap, unless you are Australian.

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

Peppina's in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Soi 33) is pretty decent; they claim to adhere to guidelines set by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (not sure if they fly in the required variety of tomato on a daily basis). But you have to travel to Bangkok. Don't know of any places in Pattaya that do this ...

yeah including Italy prices. it does taste good but the crust border on top is so wide it cuts the topping area greatly. bella napoli in bangkok is a better value. good taste and more for the money.

Edited by atyclb

18 minutes ago, atyclb said:

yeah including Italy prices. it does taste good but the crust border on top is so wide it cuts the topping area greatly. bella napoli in bangkok is a better value. good taste and more for the money.

We went to Napels / Pompeii last year.

First thing we noticed were huge pizzas with XXL crust borders and very little topping.

8 euro if I remember well.

I would say that the Margherita in Pizza Pizza at the Avenue qualifies as Napolitan style, though in Thailand I would never bet money on where the individual ingredients really come from, no matter the price or the outlet.

Just 80B at the moment. Thailand's pizza bargain of the year and it's a mystery to me why anyone would go elsewhere and pay a lot more when that is available.

24 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I would say that the Margherita in Pizza Pizza at the Avenue qualifies as Napolitan style, though in Thailand I would never bet money on where the individual ingredients really come from, no matter the price or the outlet.

Just 80B at the moment. Thailand's pizza bargain of the year and it's a mystery to me why anyone would go elsewhere and pay a lot more when that is available.

I agree it's a great bargain but I still go elsewhere because there are no toppings and I like other places better. Cheapness isn't everything unless you're very broke. 

Not knocking it. Have been twice already for the deal. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I agree it's a great bargain but I still go elsewhere because there are no toppings and I like other places better.

Well, to be fair if it had toppings it wouldn't be a Margherita. Toppings are available there, but not at that low price.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Well, to be fair if it had toppings it wouldn't be a Margherita. Toppings are available there, but not at that low price.

They are and I wouldn't pay their price for pizza with toppings because there are better places. 

13 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Who would have thunk..... A pizza snob thread. 

LOL....having a preference for a certain type of food is hardly snobbery, but maybe you are a bread and butter or cup noodles kind of person.  Even then, there are many types/brands.

Thanks to others for the many interesting responses, never realized there was even an official certification!

Edited by torrzent

There are actually 7 styles of pizza that are native meals in Italy. 

Pizza Napoletana- hard  crust and from the city of Naples.

Pizza al Taglio- hard thin crust cut into strips and cooked in an electric oven. popular in Rome

Pizza Sciciliana- hard crust, square popular in Sicily

Pizza Romano Tonda- thin hard crust, hard enough there is no sag popular in Rome

Pizza Fritta - a pizza folded in half and deep fried - it will give you a heart attack  popular in Naples

Pizza Alla Pala- oblong shaped and up to a meter long, thick crusted - a group meal

Calzone- smallish pizza folded in half and baked -  originally from Naples

I quite like Bella Italia located on 2nd road  at the end of soi 6  reasonably priced and very good food

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I agree it's a great bargain but I still go elsewhere because there are no toppings and I like other places better. Cheapness isn't everything unless you're very broke. 

Not knocking it. Have been twice already for the deal. 

What about buying this bargain as a take-away, bringing it home and adding some ingredients?  Maybe a budget way to get the job done?

7 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

There are actually 7 styles of pizza that are native meals in Italy. 

Pizza Napoletana- hard  crust and from the city of Naples.

Pizza al Taglio- hard thin crust cut into strips and cooked in an electric oven. popular in Rome

Pizza Sciciliana- hard crust, square popular in Sicily

Pizza Romano Tonda- thin hard crust, hard enough there is no sag popular in Rome

Pizza Fritta - a pizza folded in half and deep fried - it will give you a heart attack  popular in Naples

Pizza Alla Pala- oblong shaped and up to a meter long, thick crusted - a group meal

Calzone- smallish pizza folded in half and baked -  originally from Naples

I quite like Bella Italia located on 2nd road  at the end of soi 6  reasonably priced and very good food

Which is it, because others have specifically said that it shouldn't be crispy?

7 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Which is it, because others have specifically said that it shouldn't be crispy?

The softness of the  Neapolitan pizza crust partly comes from its being cooked in a 900℉ wood-fired oven.

The air bubbles in the dough are pushed outward  to form the cornicione  or rim of the pizza base. The rim will swell, char and blister before the interior dough has dried out and hardened. But the dough itself is made to be elastic, able to cradle the tomatoes and mozzarella and toppings in a  fold. 

14 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

The softness of the  Neapolitan pizza crust partly comes from its being cooked in a 900℉ wood-fired oven.

The air bubbles in the dough are pushed outward  to form the cornicione  or rim of the pizza base. The rim will swell, char and blister before the interior dough has dried out and hardened. But the dough itself is made to be elastic, able to cradle the tomatoes and mozzarella and toppings in a  fold. 

Nominating this for the most intelligent post of the year.....did you know that, or did you look it up?