Thai Gold: Good To Wear Or Too Soft?

gppower

A piece of advice from you thai gold owners. I am thinking about buying a thai gold necklace or a bracelet. I wonder, though, whether the 23K jewelry can be worn everyday as we do with the 18K western gold. I can wear my 18k chain whatever I do, even when I swim. Is the 23K ok to be worn in our daily activity or is it too soft that can break?

It is something I wouldn't buy as an "investment", given the tiny amount, but as a gift that I would love to see worn and not kept in a drawer 'cos too risky to wear it.

i wear my two salung necklace everywhere , just careful when taking off sweaters, doing hair etc. its a short necklace meant to be worn everyday; the large long 1 baht is for special occasions since it is too heavy for me and too long when working with the animals... also, not exactly 'in' here on the kibbutz, a bit too 'cheap style' (flashy gold) around here... not that i care too much

i love the colour; here in israel it is identified as 'arab' gold since arab gold is 21 karat and they tend to prefer that shiny yellow colour also. most europeans /americans /israelis prefer the 14 to 18 karat due to hardness and wear and tear and the colour.

my ring btw is indeed from the 'other side' of jerusalem and is 21 karat gold, and holding up well to the milkings mucking out etc. its still shiny and the design still shows (of course its only three months in use!!!!)

with a bracelet u could use it only for parties and thing or if u work at an office... they do rip/break easily (had a different two salung necklace and it did rip) and u cant keep taking it on and off as the thai style clasp seems to bend out of shape.

bina

Even looks tacky on tacky bg's :o

Naka.

And even tackier on farang men.

A gentleman should wear only two pieces of jewellry maximum. A good watch (genuine, not fake) and a wedding ring, if married.

The only exception to this rule is for pimps.

Naka.

A gentleman should wear only two pieces of jewellry maximum. A good watch (genuine, not fake) and a wedding ring, if married.

Pimps or menopausal males c/w mullets. :D

Naka.

A wedding ring is too much IMO and i'm not sure about watches either.... :D

Personally, I do not like the colour...Platinum works for me and it's also indestructible, although people will cut your finger off for it.

I also prefer the understated color of platinum, but I dont think you need to worry too much about finger cutting...lots of people mistake it for silver....

One good thing about Thai gold is that it is readily convertable into cash....I tested this with some small 5 baht weight ingots....and also 2 baht weight necklaces...no problems getting cash

Naka.

Totally agree with you on this, Bendix. Gobs of gold trinkets and masses of chest hair sprouting from a man's open shirt make me gag. For guys, simple is best and bling make them seem like they have to prove how rich, famous, whatever they are.

Naka.

hold on now, most men in thailand wear gold and for them it's not a fashion but more like a symbol of whatever they may call it. i met an old thai guy with 10 baht on his neck and wears very simple clothing with only sandals. i was also amazed the first time i came to thailand when i saw bus drivers, taxi drivers and normal dudes selling noddles wearing gold (big ones). mmm... so i guess wearing a gold will kinda blend us into the thai culture. i don't know. anyway, i bought mine just to have one and was cheap that time. i'm not a pimp tho...

Naka.

hold on now, most men in thailand wear gold and for them it's not a fashion but more like a symbol of whatever they may call it. i met an old thai guy with 10 baht on his neck and wears very simple clothing with only sandals. i was also amazed the first time i came to thailand when i saw bus drivers, taxi drivers and normal dudes selling noddles wearing gold (big ones). mmm... so i guess wearing a gold will kinda blend us into the thai culture. i don't know. anyway, i bought mine just to have one and was cheap that time. i'm not a pimp tho...

Yes, but do you have masses of chest hair? Saturday Night Fever...

Elderly Thai men are OK with a chunk of chain as the gold usually holds their Buddha image in place.

Naka.

Where would a good solid cockring fit into the scale of things ? ... considering it would be largely concealed until the point of use with a partner in private .... :D

Most people wear gold to give others the impression that they have money. This is always the way that those of us that have money, serious money that is, can identify those who dont. If you have serious money it isn't necessary to impress others by wearing gold, especially Thai gold which looks like it has just been unwrapped from a Christmas Cracker bought in the New Year Sale at Woolworths. I must admit that tattoos and body piercing and earings set off Thai gold quite well.

Naka.

I'm with you on that one Bendix. My girl has been trying to get me to wear either a necklace, braclet or both for ages, but I've always relented. I just can't see the point.

Edited by tropo

Thais always keep a large percentage of their savings in gold and enjoy wearing it. All the gold shops you see do only a fraction of their business with farangs. It's a Thai tradition and one of the ways they avoided disaster during the 1997 crash.

So much negativity again.

Thai gold looks like it does (gold) because it is purer than other forms of gold.

If its gold you want, its got to be Thai.

I only have the wedding ring, but most of the gold in the shop looked like it should... like gold.

I am sad that posters have found it necessary to insult thai girls, men of all nationalities and the product its self.

A quota of positive post should be enforced with membership of this site, most people seem to get stuck straight into the Thais without any thought for how boring they are beginning to sound.

A quota of positive post should be enforced with membership of this site, most people seem to get stuck straight into the Thais without any thought for how boring they are beginning to sound.

Don't include me on that list. I mentioned that I'm not in favour of guys wearing jewelry, but I buy a lot of Thai gold for my girl and I love the way it looks...on a girl.

Don't include me on that list. I mentioned that I'm not in favour of guys wearing jewelry, but I buy a lot of Thai gold for my girl and I love the way it looks...on a girl.

Not include you. I think it looks fantastic on the girls and I buy my wife a piece or two each year.

It does look better on the Thia girls though doesn't it.

Not include you. I think it looks fantastic on the girls and I buy my wife a piece or two each year.

It does look better on the Thia girls though doesn't it.

Yes, it sure does. I'm happy with the quality of the gold jewelry, and it's getting better all the time. It's amazing how they colour up the gold and make it shine, even with 23 k. Some stuff I buy in 18k such as anklets and earrings for extra strength. My girls been lucky. She notched up about 9 baht's worth already in just a year. It's the same as money in the bank anyway...sometimes better!

You've got to watch out where you buy it though. The government regulations are getting better, but there is still a lot of 91-92 percent gold being passed off as 96.5 percent (23k).

Here's a very good site that I would recommend for anyone who plans to buy gold to read:

How much is my jewelry worth

It gives a valuable insight into the gold business in Thailand.

Most Thai gold is very sturdy as many pieces have an underlying layer that is not gold. Baat chain can sometimes be heavily plated metal, otherwise it would easily break, and experience, as other posters have noted, shows it does not often break. The really Hi-So people in Bangkok prefer to buy their gold in Hong Kong.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2007-01-12 22:44:15)

It's a macho thing wearing gold - I bet the guys who wear those big chains drive a Toyota Tiger or Mitsubishi Monster truck.

Can't afford any huh???

I actually have a gold chain tucked away somewhere - I wouldn't want to look like a Pattaya bar owner or a character from 'Only fools and horses'.