Gadgets - Currency Meter on Win 10 stop working

MikeWill

Just now, smedly said:

don't install the gadget multiple times just select it multiple times and a new instance of it will appear on your desktop ready to customize however you want 

Yes figured that in the mean time, but look at my next post.

This one use the 1.4 version and you can add as many currencies as you like.

5a66b5af231ed_currencymeter.JPG.623cc1a02c9f80d00f40917e186967f7.JPG

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes figured that in the mean time, but look at my next post.

This one use the 1.4 version and you can add as many currencies as you like.

5a66b5af231ed_currencymeter.JPG.623cc1a02c9f80d00f40917e186967f7.JPG

yes but 1.4 stopped working because it used yahoo finance as data source and it was discontinued, the one I provided works fine

it may be possible to tweak the code in 1.4 and change the data source but I never bothered as it works fine

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

yes but 1.4 stopped working because it used yahoo finance as data source and it was discontinued, the one I provided works fine

it may be possible to tweak the code in 1.4 and change the data source but I never bothered as it works fine

OK, never mind, I didn't know that only your solutions were acceptable.

Apologies for suggesting a more comfortable solution, by having the original gadget restored and working, as opposed to have multiple gadgets that take a lot more space on your screen.

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

OK, never mind, I didn't know that only your solutions were acceptable.

Apologies for suggesting a more comfortable solution, by having the original gadget restored and working, as opposed to have multiple gadgets that take a lot more space on your screen.

seriously dude, nobody is forcing you to do anything, take your attitude some place else, we are all trying to help each other here, there really is no place for snide remarks

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, MikeWill said:

I  was using the Currency Meter V 1.5 gadgets and until a few days ago they were working just fine. Now, they stopped.

Does someone have a solution?

yes it stopped after the last w10 update so here is another option which I have tried and is working with the old currency meter ver 1.4

it does require a little bit of work but works fine, it sounds complex but can be done quite easily

follow this link and instructions and if you need some help just PM me

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3560123/gadget-currency-meter.html

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, smedly said:

as in my above post I have this working after creating a google sheet and changing the JS script file on currencymeter 1.4 to point to the google speadsheet

11 minutes ago, MikeWill said:

I'm not sure what happened, but suddenly the gadgets start working again.

So, smedly, thanks for the offer to help, maybe I'll your help later. 

that happened to me also and then it stopped again so I just decided sod it and went for what I think is a more stable reliable solution 

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Looks like the currency meter gadget is dead in the water again, not updating any more.

mine is if you follow the link I provided earlier and use google sheets as the source, step by step guide to get it working, there is a little bit of stuff you need to do but it works 100% 

I use currency meter 1.4 and it is working perfectly

and if you are already using the google sheets solution and it stops - open google sheets and refresh the page (happened to me once), I believe it is to do with you not being signed into google

Just now, smedly said:

mine is if you follow the link I provided earlier and use google sheets as the source, step by step guide to get it working, there is a little bit of stuff you need to do but it works 100% 

I use currency meter 1.4 and it is working perfectly

As you can see from my earlier posts I use the google sheets as the source, and it worked well until 1 or 2 days ago, but it doesn't update any more now.

I even created a new google sheet, and that shows the same rate as my currency meter gadget.

If you have usd/thb enabled, it shows at 31.71, which is not the correct rate.

Does yours show different rates?

image.png.ab4cf4f7219b080aefa80c4361efc76b.png

yes mine shows 31.71 which is what it shows on google sheets, so if anything it is google sheets that isn't working

my GBP/THB is updating fine which tells me google sheets is working

what makes you think 31.71 is wrong because it is correct - near enough

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

As you can see from my earlier posts I use the google sheets as the source, and it worked well until 1 or 2 days ago, but it doesn't update any more now.

I even created a new google sheet, and that shows the same rate as my currency meter gadget.

If you have usd/thb enabled, it shows at 31.71, which is not the correct rate.

Does yours show different rates?

image.png.ab4cf4f7219b080aefa80c4361efc76b.png

It seems that google finance has stopped updating, if you do a simple search "google currency" it is frozen, I assume this is a temp glitch and will be running again soon

3 hours ago, smedly said:

yes mine shows 31.71 which is what it shows on google sheets, so if anything it is google sheets that isn't working

my GBP/THB is updating fine which tells me google sheets is working

what makes you think 31.71 is wrong because it is correct - near enough

What makes me think that 31.71 is wrong, is firstly that it stay ate the same rate for 24 hours, and the XE currency gives the correct rate and updates on my phone.

And no, GBP/THB isn't updating as well, because I have that in my google sheets as well.

And a search tells me that it isn't a glitch, but that google finance currencies has been discontinued, same as google finance earlier this year.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:37 PM, smedly said:

yes it stopped after the last w10 update so here is another option which I have tried and is working with the old currency meter ver 1.4

it does require a little bit of work but works fine, it sounds complex but can be done quite easily

follow this link and instructions and if you need some help just PM me

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3560123/gadget-currency-meter.html

Thanks for this info smedly.

When I looked at the link I thought it may have been beyond my IT ability but I followed the steps and took my time and got the Currency Meter working again. 

I really missed this gadget on my desktop. 

So, I would like to publicly thank you for this work around.  It's now working.

I have no idea why the developer didn't do this tweak for the masses, but anyway, it's functioning again for me now and I am happy.

Thanks again.

KH

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for this info smedly.

When I looked at the link I thought it may have been beyond my IT ability but I followed the steps and took my time and got the Currency Meter working again. 

I really missed this gadget on my desktop. 

So, I would like to publicly thank you for this work around.  It's now working.

I have no idea why the developer didn't do this tweak for the masses, but anyway, it's functioning again for me now and I am happy.

Thanks again.

KH

Thanks for the kind words but all I really did was find something that some other smart person did and share it

I'm glad you got it up and running as it's a great thing to have - pity the figures weren't showing a little better though lol

On 5/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, smedly said:

Thanks for the kind words but all I really did was find something that some other smart person did and share it

I'm glad you got it up and running as it's a great thing to have - pity the figures weren't showing a little better though lol

I made a thread about it a long time ago.  I have since bumped that thread. 

At that time, there were no solutions.  All I have been doing was checking their website to see if the developer had fixed it.  I even email them and said I was prepared to make a donation. 

Anyway, all good now, but yes, after seeing the figures displayed in the gadget, I may have felt better if it still didn't work.   :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to say that after 3 weeks smedly's work around is still working and is reliable and stable.  Thanks again.

I have a quick off topic question for those in finance.  (Mods, this quick question is not worth its own thread)

Question:  Why do the exchange rates change on the weekend when all the markets are closed.  They don't change much, but they do change.  How is this possible?  Even the figures on XE.com change on the weekend. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Bumping this thread.

6 weeks on and the currency meter is still working, but does anyone have an answer to my question, why do the rates change over the weekend, when the markets are closed?

I will have a guess, you could probably look it up on goole

- Time zone for some of it

- Catchup trades on servers 

- spurious calculations from your data source based on the above

- when volume is low you will see swings that are disproportionate (again from the above)

It results in currency fluctuation that are basically meaningless and all will correct when the markets open in the countries relevant to the currency 

On 7/15/2018 at 6:01 PM, smedly said:

I will have a guess, you could probably look it up on goole

- Time zone for some of it

- Catchup trades on servers 

- spurious calculations from your data source based on the above

- when volume is low you will see swings that are disproportionate (again from the above)

It results in currency fluctuation that are basically meaningless and all will correct when the markets open in the countries relevant to the currency 

I allowed for the time zones but didn't consider the other reasons.  I think you are correct.  The other reasons would have a small impact on currency exchange, despite the markets being closed.

Thanks for the reply. 

Archived