Gadgets - Currency Meter on Win 10 stop working

MikeWill

Yahoo discontinued their currency and stock quotes APIs on or around Nov 1. I expect that the gadget you mention was using them, as do quite a lot of other similar bits of software.

They will have to be rewritten to collect their data in a different way.

On 11/5/2017 at 3:30 AM, MikeWill said:

Are there any alternatives?

Can't find any decent alternatives for my windows desktop  but I've also been using the 'easy currency converter' app on my phone and tab. I find it even better than the one one the desktop.

I too unwittingly was using Yahoo stock and currency prices in my Excel addon (PMStock quote) that suddenly stopped working after years of use.

I have now started using Google Speadsheets that has very easy formula input for any stock, commodities, currencies. I open the Google Sheet as a Excel file since all my home accounts are kept off the cloud in an Excel spreadsheet.

I would prefer to simply access stock, commodities, currencies directly in an Excel cell from Google like my old PMStock addon used to but I don't know if that can be done? I understand its difficult as Google want you to use their web services for revenue rather than drag data from them directly into Excel?

XE has a win 10 app that you can add as a live tile, well short of the gadget but for me the next best thing

another alternative is to have a ticker fed from an RSS feed across the top of your desktop, why win 10 doesn't have widgets like on phones I don't know - that would be another workable solution

as for currency meter - keep posting on their twitter/FB page and maybe they will update it to  working ver 1.5  

On 11/8/2017 at 10:37 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

I too unwittingly was using Yahoo stock and currency prices in my Excel addon (PMStock quote) that suddenly stopped working after years of use.

I have now started using Google Speadsheets that has very easy formula input for any stock, commodities, currencies. I open the Google Sheet as a Excel file since all my home accounts are kept off the cloud in an Excel spreadsheet.

I would prefer to simply access stock, commodities, currencies directly in an Excel cell from Google like my old PMStock addon used to but I don't know if that can be done? I understand its difficult as Google want you to use their web services for revenue rather than drag data from them directly into Excel?

I've used this method:  https://www.connordphillips.com/2016/01/15/syncing-google-sheets-data-to-excel/

On 11/9/2017 at 7:15 PM, JSixpack said:

This is brilliant. Finally got it sorted today. In Win10 with Excel 2016 it seems easier than described on your link. I just made a new query table with the URL to the published Google Sheet using Data/NewQuery/FromOther/FromWeb/URL = published Google sheet. No need for any txt file.

Now when I open the Excel it refreshes (or refreshes on command) the table of data in Excel that is linked to Google sheets latest finance prices. In my case latest stock prices, commodities, fx and crypto rates. In the end simpler than what I had before. For some crypto currencies a Google addon is needed on the Google sheet since Google finance formula cannot do them all on its own but Google publishes results for everything. Now set up in Excel there is no need for me to goto Google at all, everything done by Excel.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

This is brilliant. Finally got it sorted today. In Win10 with Excel 2016 it seems easier than described on your link. I just made a new query table with the URL to the published Google Sheet using Data/NewQuery/FromOther/FromWeb/URL = published Google sheet. No need for any txt file.

Now when I open the Excel it refreshes (or refreshes on command) the table of data in Excel that is linked to Google sheets latest finance prices. In my case latest stock prices, commodities, fx and crypto rates. In the end simpler than what I had before. For some crypto currencies a Google addon is needed on the Google sheet since Google finance formula cannot do them all on its own but Google publishes results for everything. Now set up in Excel there is no need for me to goto Google at all, everything done by Excel.

Thanks.

just wondering how this is easier than going to a website like XE.com or using their Windows App

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Thanks.

Great! Tnx for letting us know, too.

14 hours ago, smedly said:

just wondering how this is easier than going to a website

I suppose it depends what you want and how you can do it easiest. No one way will suit everyone. 

In my case all my needs are required in Excel, has been for over 20 years. I just need the data (latest quotes from internet) in Excel, so no need to open another application such as web browser to copy data from as Excel and data query does it by getting data from Google. 

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I suppose it depends what you want and how you can do it easiest. No one way will suit everyone. 

In my case all my needs are required in Excel, has been for over 20 years. I just need the data (latest quotes from internet) in Excel, so no need to open another application such as web browser to copy data from as Excel and data query does it by getting data from Google. 

I use Excel too but not for the same purpose, as for others I think the best solution is the XE windows app if you are only interested in currency rates throughout the day, it works very well but is not as good as the gadget in terms of visibility, I often wonder why Microsoft cannot develop live tiles for the desktop - the XE App comes close though

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

I use Excel too but not for the same purpose, as for others I think the best solution is the XE windows app if you are only interested in currency rates throughout the day, it works very well but is not as good as the gadget in terms of visibility, I often wonder why Microsoft cannot develop live tiles for the desktop - the XE App comes close though

WorriedNoodle isn't only interested in the currency rates, though: he wants latest stock prices, commodities, fx and crypto rates together in his Excel sheet. In Excel he can arrange, display, link to, and massage that data in ways Google sheets can't do, does differently, or does awkwardly. Without this method he'd have to copy and paste from somewhere. So this works out quite well.

Excel is surprisingly good at querying a remote MySQL database, too, to mention one of the most common. Naive users have been known to think it only does Access (gag!). 

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

WorriedNoodle isn't only interested in the currency rates, though: he wants latest stock prices, commodities, fx and crypto rates together in his Excel sheet. In Excel he can arrange, display, link to, and massage that data in ways Google sheets can't do, does differently, or does awkwardly. Without this method he'd have to copy and paste from somewhere. So this works out quite well.

Excel is surprisingly good at querying a remote MySQL database, too, to mention one of the most common. Naive users have been known to think it only does Access (gag!). 

I am already aware of that there was no need for your post, he explained before on this thread

On 11/16/2017 at 10:47 AM, smedly said:

I often wonder why Microsoft cannot develop live tiles for the desktop - the XE App comes close though

Yes, I gave up with Microsoft tiles and gadgets ages ago. There are a number of useful open source addons for Rainmeter desktop app for Windows that look pretty good. I have a few tiles using Rainmeter method for Fx rates and other market prices. Useful to keep an eye on things, then when I need to engage I use Excel myself. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MikeWill said:

Working how?

I tried it, and it's NOT working for me. 

it is working perfectly, uninstall the old one ver 1.4 and then install this one Ver 1.5, it sources the data from google

The only part that is not working is being able to more currency pairs but you can just add the gadget multiple times to overcome this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

And how do you install multiple times, because if I install a second version it replaces the one already in place.

don't install the gadget multiple times just select it multiple times and a new instance of it will appear on your desktop ready to customize however you want 

Archived