Future Saudi king tightens grip on power with arrests including Prince Alwaleed

webfact

6 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Jared of America meets Jared of Arabia:

"MBS [the Crown Prince] is emboldened by strong support from President Trump and his inner circle, who see him as a kindred disrupter of the status quo — at once a wealthy tycoon and a populist insurgent. It was probably no accident that last month, Jared Kushner, Trump’s senior adviser and son-in-law, made a personal visit to Riyadh. The two princes are said to have stayed up until nearly 4 a.m. several nights, swapping stories and planning strategy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-saudi-crown-princes-risky-power-play/2017/11/05/4b12fcf0-c272-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html

Unless mistaken, Kushner's visit was related to the administration's Israeli-Palestinian peace effort. The gist of the article is not about Trump's or Kushner's attitude toward the Crown Prince, though. But you already knew that.

6 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Ah yes, but Xi Jinping is not backed by Washington. Saudi Arabia is backed by Washington.  Hence, the media can condemn Beijing, but they don't want to highlight the issue of Washington backing Saudi Arabia.   :smile:

That's pure BS. Coverage of USA backing up Saudi Arabia is not suppressed or hidden.

5 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

The King sure has a lot of faith in this son and has given him a lot of power.  He seems to be using this power wisely to.

But I don't think this move is all about a crackdown on corruption.

This Prince is next in line to be the next Saudi King. If this happens it will be the first time the Kingdom was passed down from father to son, and not brother to brother. So I think there needs to be some reforms from the old school and before he can do that.

not the first time. the kingdom was passed down to a son (Saud) in 1953 when Abdulaziz al-Saud died.

8 hours ago, pegman said:

their countries their laws. but to the best of my knowledge they never burned witches on the stake.

It has been estimated that tens of thousands of people were executed for witchcraft in Europe and the American colonies over several hundred years. Although it is not possible to ascertain the exact number, modern scholars estimate around 40–50,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_for_witchcraft

next!

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

their countries their laws. but to the best of my knowledge they never burned witches on the stake.

next!

But beheading is ok?

Saudi Arabia's War on Witchcraft

A special unit of the religious police pursues magical crime aggressively, and the convicted face death sentences.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/08/saudi-arabias-war-on-witchcraft/278701/

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

But beheading is ok?

Saudi Arabia's War on Witchcraft

A special unit of the religious police pursues magical crime aggressively, and the convicted face death sentences.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/08/saudi-arabias-war-on-witchcraft/278701/

what was quoted in the media is nothing but an incorrect translation. the arabic expression wrongly translated as witchcraft can cover "black magic, fortune telling, fairy tales, jinx, sorcery" and some other expressions.

and yes! i think beheading for allegged "witchcraft" is more humane than a burning on the stake.

witch score Saudi Arabia vs. rest of the world 1:40,000+

case closed!

1 minute ago, Naam said:

what was quoted in the media is nothing but an incorrect translation. the arabic expression wrongly translated as witchcraft can cover "black magic, fortune telling, fairy tales, jinx, sorcery" and some other expressions.

and yes! i think beheading for allegged "witchcraft" is more humane than a burning on the stake.

witch score Saudi Arabia vs. rest of the world 1:40,000+

case closed!

I guess if the year wasn't 2017 you might have a point about comparing scores. Although, are you saying that this part of the world has only been executing witches recently? Nothing in the distant past? If so, that would make it worse, not better.

And however you define witchcraft -- you think that there's a material moral difference in executing people on account of witchcraft or for "black magic fortune telling, fairy tells, jinx, and sorcery"?

And is there some professional association of witches that specifically rules out "black magic, fortune telling, fairy tales, jinx, sorcery" as not being legitimate parts of witchcraft? Are you serious?

But kudos to the human legal system Saudi Arabia for merely beheading suspected practitioners of the dark arts and not burning them.