129m passengers travelled through Thailand's 6 main airports in fiscal 2017

webfact

129m passengers use 6 airports run by AoT in fiscal 2017

Suvarnabhumi-airport.jpg

A total of 129.20 million passengers travelled through the six airports operated by the Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) in fiscal 2017 (October 2016-September 2017), a 7.73% increase from the previous year, said AoT president Nitinai Sirisamatthakarn.

The six airports operated by the AoT are Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Mae Fah Luand in Chiang Rai.

According to Mr Nitinai, in fiscal 2017, the AoT provided services for a total of 823,574 flights, an increase of 6%, or an average of 2,250 flights per day.

Of the total, 415,338 were international flights (3.13% increase) and 408,236 domestic flights (9.10% increase).

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/129m-passengers-use-6-airports-run-aot-fiscal-2017/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-06

It is interesting to see the 9% increase in domestic flights. My limited experience tells me that low cost airlines are persuading tourists to eschew alternative forms of transport for long distance travel within the country. In short, less travel by bus and more travel by plane.

Hopefully more and more Thais will be able to afford plane travel instead of using coaches or minibusses. I fear that for many this is just a distant dream.