Songkran

Ulysses G.

Do you stay in Chiang Mai and enjoy Songkran?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't be overly sensitive.

Blinky Bill doesn't mean to be nasty, he just can't resist the opportunity to take the piss. :D

Taking a piss is fine, but I just didn't want to return fire, I already have enough people telling me to grow up before I do so :D

:bah::o:D:D

Mate I'm 52 and still wondering if I'll ever grow up. Don't think I want to anyway.

Have we heard any views from the ladies? I'd be interested to hear what they think!

My Fiancee hates it because she always feel ganged up on by guys. She says she will go out this year though because I will be with her. This seems to be a common perception with many Thai girls.

Artemis,

I assume you are a farang. Women with farangs are targeted.

When you are blinded by talcum powder solution and 20 guys start groping your fiancee, there's little you can do. Can I ask you to consider where and in whose company might be a good idea to join in the water throwing. Taking a large group of your own friends might be better.

Just an idea.

Artemis,

When you are blinded by talcum powder solution and 20 guys start groping your fiancee, there's little you can do. Can I ask you to consider where and in whose company might be a good idea to join in the water throwing. Taking a large group of your own friends might be better.

Just an idea.

Never had a problem with Talcum powder, seems to be a BKK thing. But I usually do go out with a big group of people. I believe it will all be fine, but my thanks for the warning :o

The last time i did a Chiangmai Songkran was back in 2000 and i was nearly knocked out by a katoey on ya-ba.. Scared the <deleted> out of me.. Think i'll go to work during that time..Do they still use the khlong water to fill up the drums on the back of their pick-ups ?? Lovely.

Artemis,

Just an idea.

It isn't that bad in Chiang Mai - like Artemis says, there is no talcum powder here (luckily), and I havent seen any full on assaults like that. Thank you for reminding me of one of the reasons I left Bangkok.

Artemis,

Just an idea.

It isn't that bad in Chiang Mai - like Artemis says, there is no talcum powder here (luckily), and I havent seen any full on assaults like that. Thank you for reminding me of one of the reasons I left Bangkok.

Just reading some of the miserable kill joys on this site. Yes there are a few stupid farangs and considerably more stupid Thai's who are pissed up but it's a great party and a big release for everyone in the heat. Why don't you depressing old codgers go and retire with your tarten blankets in Eastbourne or play golf with other joyless stiffs in Florida.

I do. If you read my earlier post, you'll see I leave the country every Songkran.

By all means enjoy the water throwing. I certainly did a few years back. But please also be aware of the many downsides of the way Songkran is "celebrated" nowadays. And perhaps plan strategies to avoid you and those around from getting hurt or involved against their will. :o:D

Yes briggsy is right. Though I enjoy the hedonistic carnival it has become, there is a beautiful side to it that is overshadowed. I was able to see this the first year when I loved with a host family. We went to khun yai's house and had a more traditional ceremony. I get to have that again with my new family as well.

Also if you see some farang acting out of order say trying to nail a bike with an infant, step up and tell them to tone it down. And if you see a <deleted> in a devil's mask say hi :o

I do. If you read my earlier post, you'll see I leave the country every Songkran.

By all means enjoy the water throwing. I certainly did a few years back. But please also be aware of the many downsides of the way Songkran is "celebrated" nowadays. And perhaps plan strategies to avoid you and those around from getting hurt or involved against their will. :o:D

I have been here long enough( 5 YEARS) and yes I've experienced a few idiots but it's a tiny majority and you can avoid the worst places with common sense. Most people want to have a bit of childish fun. It actually feels good to be a bit naive again, every now and then. As for the statistics for road accidents, I think you'll find they are high whatever the season but that's a seperate issue. One that involves the police cracking down on drunk drivers. As for me i don't drink and i don't drive/ride. However I still have fun. As for : jap : jap what's that?. Best of Luck

I have been here long enough( 5 YEARS) and yes I've experienced a few idiots but it's a tiny majority and you can avoid the worst places with common sense. Most people want to have a bit of childish fun. It actually feels good to be a bit naive again, every now and then. As for the statistics for road accidents, I think you'll find they are high whatever the season but that's a seperate issue. One that involves the police cracking down on drunk drivers. As for me i don't drink and i don't drive/ride. However I still have fun. As for : jap : jap what's that?. Best of Luck

I do enjoy Songkran - I've spent the previous 4 Songkrans right in the middle of the war zone with copious amounts of beer and good friends, but like I said above I am not sure I enjoy the direction it is heading in... It's ok to go hard, but there are limits people should respect, that's all.

One of them being that the fight stops when the sun goes down.

Artemis,

Just an idea.

I've seen tons of talcum used in chiang mai. I don't know why you haven't seen it, too...

I've seen tons of talcum used in chiang mai. I don't know why you haven't seen it, too...

Quite true, it's everywhere, from hand/foot prints and spots on vehicles to evil looking mixtures in buckets. They actually use rice flour, and often colour it with food dyes.

The traditional way of applying it is gently, with lines on the forehead and cheeks, but alas this has fallen foul of the hoons that think it's paint, and have no concept of traditional values.

I think when you actually celebrate (as in: Join in) in Chiang Mai once, and then in for example Pattaya or Bangkok you will see that the amount of chalk/powder in CHiang mai is virtually nil by comparison. :o

Also it's a moat, not a khlong; there's a difference. (And moat water is treated by the municipality prior to Songkran) It's honestly not as vile as you'd think. (I know, I fell in once during songkran, and scratched myself on something under water, and lived to tell the tale. (not even got infected or anything though I'm not advocating for anyone to jump in) :D

BTW, for anyone who hasn't experienced Songkran in CHiang Mai, (or if you have, a good way to get into the spirit again) here's "Songrkan - The Video" which I shot 2 years ago:

http://nachang.com/video/Songkran.wmv

Plays in Windows Media Player or anything else with WIndows Media codec. (Such as VNC on Mac / Linux)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Artemis,

Just an idea.

Could it be the copious amounts of beer I had... :o No, seriously, I really havent seen a lot of it - and I do play everywhere around the moat.

In contrast, in Bangkok it seemed every single bucket held was full of talcum/water mix...

What you're actually seeing is a dearth of water in Bangkok! Around KS, they turn off all the taps and sell water instead. Result = a thick floury paste. In CM they cant drain the moat. Actually they can. Now there's an money-spinning :o idea.

Could it be the copious amounts of beer I had... :o No, seriously, I really havent seen a lot of it - and I do play everywhere around the moat.

In contrast, in Bangkok it seemed every single bucket held was full of talcum/water mix...

And what do you do during Songkran Meadish? :D

Used to be a few in Chiang Mai who used lime instead of talcum. Very nasty stuff.

I've seen it also meadish, have been 'painted' on a couple of occasions but always politely and with a soft touch. Never 'thrown' at me. But as you mentioned, not over the top with it. The first few years here I did enjoy it, usually hung out around John's Place - knew most of the ladies there. :D But it did get old after a while and especially the iced water clinched it to not go again. That and a serious bacterial infection in a most sensitive private area from the moat water. :D

I've had little talcum powder painted on me over the years and they were always gentle about it.

John's Place has always been a good place to hang out during Songkran especially many years ago when "Saay" used to do sexy shows soaked in water on a motorcycle out front in public with her sister.

She and her sis are still working at a bar in CM, but they seem to have calmed down since back then! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't like to stay in CM either. It's not fun anymore. Young people, whether Thai or Farang, become, year after year, more and more aggressive.

So my son and I go to places where Songkran is still celebrated in a festive and peaceful manner (Tha Ton, Phayao) and we have lots of fun.

Same same - We hot foot it to the mountains and get out of Chiangmai for that week.

Yea, i agree with the majority....songkran is no fun for the sane [mature] falangs after the first one or two. My first songkran was sanook muck muck, the 2nd was a little fun, and the 3rd boring and others following have been painfully insane. This will be my 7th and i've learned to sotck up on supplies before the hordes come up and hunker down in my cozy insulated safe ban for the duration, which seems to get longer and longer every year.

The problem is that the wife and kids get excited about it and go along with the insanity and i worry about accidents, illnesses etc that go hand in hand with this insane holiday.

I would consider alternatives, 'in country' or 'out' and maybe i'll start another thread on 'tips to escape songkran?' and hopefully come up with creative ideas.......