Our time.the best of times?

i claudius

There is a lot of doom and gloom for the future but i think people are often overly pessimistic. As a couple of examples people used to say that with developing countries getting cars instead of bicycles there would be terrible pollution. However the reality is that those cars they are now getting emit a fraction of the pollution than cars 20 years ago. We have more hydro , solar and wind technology and these will be available to developing countries also. Rather strange 10 to 20 years ago Bejing was all bikes no cars and London all cars, no bikes. We have a reversal and the future is very hard to predict.  

With regard to population changes and fears of Muslim over powerng, the world overall is becoming less religious  as science provides a lot more explanation and there is more cultural integration I believe religions worldwide will begin to slowly decline in popularity (as they have in the West)  and the threat from Religious exrtemists will also decline.

So many comments on here about everything being so much more expensive now but is it really. Surely in comparison and taking into account inflation, motor vehicles , air transportation, electrical and technical goods must be massively  cheaper now.

Interestingly, and just from memory, I read that the share of the food bill for the average person has dropped dramatically over the last one hundred years . Something like the major portion of expenses to only 10 or 20 per cent of expenses now in many cases. 

Now working class people have no reason to be hungry around most of the world.

Most stuff has gotten way cheaper like transport and food and clothes.

Services like healthcare (in some respects ) and education and of course taxes (US reduced taxes though) have gotten more expensive.

Pollution is one area that we really fall down on, too much of Asia suffers from severe air pollution but I'm hopeful that we are hitting peak air pollution and things will get significantly better for the next generation (although climate change could still ccelerate...which is a big problem. ).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think too much nostalgia is bad for the 'nostalgic' because there's nothing we can do about the past but today we can still work on making our lives and our families lives better
It's just healthier to live in the here and now.

Also memories of the past are highly coloured.

2 hours ago, taipeir said:

I think too much nostalgia is bad for the 'nostalgic' because there's nothing we can do about the past but today we can still work on making our lives and our families lives better
It's just healthier to live in the here and now.

Also memories of the past are highly coloured.

Why not enjoy both ? But i agree memories of past are often highly coloured.

Edited by Gruff

• 3 weeks later...

It was not as bad as that for me but my public school was good but not top class so i did have to rough it a little. Though after i passed my 11 plus i went to a nice grammer school and nanny always sent me off with a good breakfast.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, i claudius said:

It was not as bad as that for me but my public school was good but not top class so i did have to rough it a little. Though after i passed my 11 plus i went to a nice grammer school and nanny always sent me off with a good breakfast.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You went to a nice GRAMMER school? Your parents wasted their money.