Renewal of purple international transport permit

jimster

Hi,

I recently tried to renew my purple international transport permit for my car (to take the car to Laos), it still has over 2 months validity left but figured I would get everything done at the same time as my road tax renewal. The road tax renewal and 3rd party insurance were processed straight away, but the lady at the Land Transport Department suddenly wanted to see either a work permit, yellow tabien baan or address verification from my embassy. I explained that this wasn't required last year, but because it's a new book (each booklet is valid for up to 3 years - one year at a time) she wanted me to get that address verification from my embassy this time.

While this is no problem (just expensive, time consuming and annoying), I wonder why this is necessary? I asked her if I could renew the booklet at another location and was told yes. I will try the main Chatuchak office seeing that they might be more lenient but if they also insist on seeing some sort of address verification, I'll have to pay up to 1750 Baht (the equivalent of AUD 70) at the Australian embassy for a notarised statement verifying my address, which is crazy expensive considering up until last year the fee was just THB 500ish (AUD 20). I am also a citizen of another European country but not sure if they will ask for any additional documents compared to the Aussies, even if they now charge slightly less since the Australian government raised all it's embassy service fees at the beginning of this year. All this to get a new purple booklet that costs just 55 Baht!

Anyone have any experience with applying for this permit, what documents were required apart from a copy of your passport and latest entry stamp?

Edited by jimster

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Standard requirement: workpermit, yellow tambien baan or certificate of address, obtainable from immigration (same requirements as for car registration).

OK, so basically you are confirming that based on your experience, you were asked for some kind of confirmation of address? I am aware of immigration being another possibility, but have heard they can take 2 weeks to issue it (rather than doing it on the spot) and getting out there is much more of a nuisance than going to my embassy so I think I'll just do it the same way as I've been doing it all this time.

So do you think that Mo Chit also has the same requirements?

• 3 weeks later...