Traveling N.Isaan Experiences? (Khon Kaen-Phu Kradueng-Chiang Khan-Nong Khai-Udon)

H508

So, my 13 days in September 2017 went pretty well in Southern Isaan (Buriram, gf's village in Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Ubon, Tohsang Khongjiam, Pha Taem) so I am going back February 2018. I think I'm good for a 10 to 14 day trip to Northern Isaan this time around. I've spent the day researching various things to do and have come up with a rough idea of a possible route I could drive with my thai girlfriend, and before I planned too much by myself, I thought I would run this by you guys assuming there are some of you living in this part of the country.

I'm a little bummed that February doesn't seem the best time to be enjoying nature in this spot of the country as I enjoy the greenery and waterfalls, but the thai gf seems to think it will still be fun and picked this area to travel in when I asked her where she wanted to go.

Rough route I'm thinking right now would be: https://imgur.com/a/7P04k

I'd fly from Bangkok to Khon Kaen and rent a car there.

- Spend maybe 2 days in Khon Kaen (check out the zoo, figure out anything else)

- Drive out to  Ubolratana lake and hang out for the afternoon on a boat (I really enjoyed staying a few hours on Sirindhorn Lake with those pontoon boats tied up for food and some drinks between Ubon and Tohsang Khongjiam)

- Get to Phu Kradueng and stay there for a day or two

...This is where I thought about going west to Khao Kho in Phetchabun, but that adds quite a few driving hours to the trip just to look at a slightly different hill so I've tentatively axed that leg.

- So then onto Chiang Khan for 2 days

- Drive through Sangkhom, maybe spend a night

- Get to Nong Khai for a day or two. Debating going over to Vientiane but the gf said she's already been there so dunno if it's worth the hassle of the visa and leaving the car as I don't think we would do anything else in Laos.

- Drive down to Udon Thani for a few days. Maybe check out Phu Foi Lom. 

- Then, either drive back to Udon or Khon Kaen, drop off the car,  and catch a flight back to BKK before going back to the US.

Thoughts? Am I missing out by not going through Phetchabun? Anything you would change?

Maybe I should cut out Khon Kaen/Ubolratana and start in Udon and then work my way west to end up in Phretchabun and then I'd get to Khao Kho and fly out of Phetchabun? ...so, this itinerary: https://imgur.com/a/XwSA1

I think the gf just likes Khon Kaen because it's not too far from her home and she could show off her travel guide skills.

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Should you come to Nong Khai province, please visit this temple. It's really amazing what sculptures you'll see, done by a monk from Burma.

The Wheel of Life's something that's already worth to go there.

Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ykHJIS0T8

I visited there in September, definitely worth a visit

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I vote for two days.

Khon Kaen zoo: I would leave it out.

Phu Kradueng - Yes, reading more about the hike, this is definitely an overnight stay. Climb in morning. See sunset over cliff. Wake up and see sunrise over different viewpoint.  Maybe go waterfall route then back down.

Edited by H508

Regarding visiting Vientiane, I'd say don't bother.  If you want to visit Laos, that's basically the least interesting place to go (imo).  It's a pretty French city, but the prices are much higher than Thailand, there's a solid "fleece the farang" vibe there (400 baht for a tuktuk is the going rate, hard to get them to come down even with an Isaan person doing the negotiating).  Food prices are about 2x what they are in Thailand and not nearly as good, as for instance, Khon Kaen.  It's a hassle getting across the border, getting into town, etc...  My girlfriend (Isaan) never wants to go back to Laos now.  Upcountry Laos is really amazing and beautiful, the nature is spectacular, but that's a trip in its own right, and the Lao roads are even more bonkers than Thailand.

As far as Khon Kaen goes, I often dream of going back just to go to Ton Tann market.  Amazing food, cheap beer, Chang girls running around, absolutely massive assortment of food stalls.  Food heaven in Thailand, imo.  You'll want to spend the night in KK after that, as you'll be in a food & drink induced stupor afterwards.

I agree with your upcountry Laos thoughts.

But I disagree with your thoughts on Vientianne. IMHO, it is my favourite city in SE Asia, and I prefer it to any city in Thailand. Well, well worth checking out. I live in Nakon Nowhere, love Thai food, rarely eat out in Felang restaurants, but when I go to Vientianne - I gorge myself on multi national cuisine. Indian, Turkish, French, Lao baguette breakfasts, the best Italian in SE Asia, excellent buzzing nightlife, a couple of world class pubs/bars/meeting places (Khop Jai Deu -daytime, Bpor Bpen Yang - nighttime.

I've been so many times in 15 years, I know it better than any Thai city....

Not a hassle getting from the border into town at all. Tuk tuks are expensive, 200 baht to go anywhere, not 400.

Yes it's more expensive for hotels and SE Asian food, but drinking and Euro/Asian food is cheaper than Thailand. Highly recommended.

Other thing I worry about is the car rental - I was completely fine driving in southern Isaan, but I'm a little worried about renting a Vios again with 105 horsepower and 15" tires going up and down hills further north.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

I agree with your upcountry Laos thoughts.

But I disagree with your thoughts on Vientianne. IMHO, it is my favourite city in SE Asia, and I prefer it to any city in Thailand.

To each their own, I suppose it's a matter of perspective.  I double checked with my GF, when we were there in May everyone was definitely asking 400 baht for a baseline on a Tuktuk, but we stayed right next to the consulate, which was not in the city center, so perhaps that's the reason.  I live in BKK, so I've got the international food options aplenty just in my neighborhood, and even moreso if I want to venture down to Sukhumvit.  The beer was cheaper, and Beerlao is actually good there (as opposed to the skunked crap we get here).  I live out in Min Buri, so I have tons of great Thai restaurants all over and so I'm a little spoiled on the food front, and my girlfriend cooks awesome Isaan food.  I went to Vang Vieng a few years ago (after they tamed the river somewhat) and I enjoyed it there quite a bit more.  Good Lao food, laid back city, more reasonable prices (and I had a 250cc dirt bike, which added to the enjoyment factor).

On 11/9/2017 at 9:34 AM, H508 said:

Drive down to Udon Thani for a few days. Maybe check out Phu Foi Lom

There is not a lot to see at Phu Foi Lom, I live close by, I would give it a miss and add Erawan cave on the itinerary, by far the best spot in Isaan for me.

Hi there

I live in loei, have done for 7 years, been coming 19 years, know the area well. I personally prefer Khon Kaen to Udon Thani (though staying around Nong Prajak is quite nice). I have climbed Phu Kradeung, takes about 6 hours to the campsite (would stay 2 nights on top) it is totally flat and you can hire a bicycle up there.

I would recommend  staying in Loei, cheap hotels (many place to visit) Phu Rua, Rock Garden, Phu Luang. Then head up to Chiang Khan (very popular with Thais) then follow the Mekong all the way to Nong Khai (nice place, on the Mekong again) then fly Udon to Bangkok (think only Thai flies into swampy) Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

17 hours ago, H508 said:

CGW - thanks for the suggestion. Erawan cave looks great. Added.

Expat68 - thanks for the additional excursion points. I'll check those out.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you do follow the mekong from Chiang Khan to Nongkhai, well worth a stop about 2k after Sangkom there is a right turn which takes you up to a Temple, on a clear day fantastic views, east and west overlooking the mekong and Laos

Best place in Khon Kaen (and one of best places in Thailand!) for some reason isn't well known.

It's a place called Wat Pa Thamma Utthayan and it  was damn amazing! A gigantic statue of a golden baby. Lots of giant Bhuddas in the Thai and Chinese traditions! Enormous granite halls with Bhuddist symbols all around. A huge lake with a metal bridge leading to an island where they serve you lunch...for free! Colored peacocks carved into trees. Monkey statues. Real peacocks running around. Crocodiles and rabbits. Weird statues of Gods and dragons. Here are some pictures, but they don't do justice to how fantastic the place looked seeing it in person: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=wat+p ... 9257539331

It's just north of Khon Kaen. Right side of the road as you drive North. Far as I could tell, sign was only in Thai so bring your girlfriend/wife or you may not find it. (Just past Thai Watsadu, a giant store, though that's on left side of street, this is on right) And if you're ever heading that way, you're a damn fool if you don't stop because it's more interesting than wherever it is you're going!

One thing more, it's free, and they don't even try to sell you anything. We wanted to have some lunch yesterday, and they apologized for having given away all the food they had that day! (Some people do sell drinks next to the entrance parking lot. Don't understand why they don't sell more- we were hungry!)

Hope you like it. If you ever find out what this place is all about, let me know as I haven't a clue, though I loved being there!

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, cacahootie said:

To each their own, I suppose it's a matter of perspective.  I double checked with my GF, when we were there in May everyone was definitely asking 400 baht for a baseline on a Tuktuk, but we stayed right next to the consulate, which was not in the city center, so perhaps that's the reason.  I live in BKK, so I've got the international food options aplenty just in my neighborhood, and even moreso if I want to venture down to Sukhumvit.  The beer was cheaper, and Beerlao is actually good there (as opposed to the skunked crap we get here).  I live out in Min Buri, so I have tons of great Thai restaurants all over and so I'm a little spoiled on the food front, and my girlfriend cooks awesome Isaan food.  I went to Vang Vieng a few years ago (after they tamed the river somewhat) and I enjoyed it there quite a bit more.  Good Lao food, laid back city, more reasonable prices (and I had a 250cc dirt bike, which added to the enjoyment factor).

The beer was cheaper, and Beerlao is actually good there (as opposed to the skunked crap we get here). 

I purchase my Beer Lao from Macro and the box has a sell by date, can you elaborate what skunked crap refers to ?

10 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I purchase my Beer Lao from Macro and the box has a sell by date, can you elaborate what skunked crap refers to ?

Every time I've purchased Beerlao in Thailand, it has not tasted right and has given me a headache after a few.  If beer is stored in the heat or exposed to sunlight it will do bad things to the beer and it tastes wrong.  We had a weird batch of Singha recently from 7-11 that made both my girlfriend and I quite sick (drinking less than we normally would), so it's not like it's only Beerlao.  It's just that every time I've bought Beerlao here it's been skunked.  Of course, I have only ever bought it by the bottle at little c-store shops, never from Makro.  I assume Makro has better storage and I doubt they're letting it sit around for months, so perhaps it's worth giving it a shot.  Doesn't address the fact that it's like 2x as expensive as it is in Laos though.

• 2 weeks later...

So, getting much closer to finalizing the February Isaan trip plans. I'm a stickler for having a rough itinerary and booking hotels before I go so this is to help me plan the big visits/days needed/driving distances. After I lock down what days I'll be where, then it's booking hotel time and I'm pretty much done with the planning as I can find short excursions/bars/whatever is close by to fill out any down-time.

Route I'm taking in my trusty Avis rental... (underpowered Toyota Vios):

https://imgur.com/a/yVekh

Day 1: Arrive Khon Kaen Feb 7, 6pm; Hotel - ?

Day 2-3 (Feb 8-10) Things to do:

1a. Khon Kaen City – Wat Nong Wang, Ton Tann & Fairy night market, Zoo

1b. Wat Pa Thamma Utthayan (temple, walkway; feed you free breakfast or lunch) (20 minute drive from Khon Kaen)

1c. Ubolratana Dam (sit on boat to eat/drink, Wat Phra Bat Phu Pan Kham (can take car up)) (1 hour drive from Khon Kaen)

Day 4 (Feb 10-11): Hotel -  ? (stay close to Phu Kradueng for early start up hill)

2. Suan Hin Pha Ngam (walk through rocks; definitely get a guide) & Phu Pa Poh (2 hr 30 min from Khon Kaen)

Day 5 (Feb 11-12): Hotel – Rent cabin on top of Phu Kradueng

3. Phu Kradueng (walk up morning, see some stuff, spend the night, look at sunrise then back down hill)

Day 6 (Feb 12-13): Hotel - ? somewhere between Wat and Phu Thap Buek

4a. Wat Phathat Phasomkaew (sometimes spelled Wat Pha Sorn Kaew) (2 hr 40 min from Phu Kradueng)

(relax day after Phu Kradueng)

Day 7 (Feb 13-14): Hotel - ?

4b. Phu Thap Buek (viewpoint to see clouds in morning) (53 min from Wat)

5a. Phu Ruea?? (maybe, not sure it's worth it, but on the way to Huai Krathing Lake) (2 hr 10 min from Phu Thap Buek)

5b. Huai Krathing Reservoir (raft on lake to eat/drink) (1 hr from Phu Ruea/2 hr 30 from Phu Thap Buek)

5c. Erawan Cave (1 hour from Huai Krathing Reservoir)

Day 8-9 (Feb 14-16): Hotel - Chiangkhan River Green Hill (some dumb, overpriced Tent camp the lady wants to do)

6. Chiang Khan -  Kaeng Khut Khu (1 hr 30 min from Erawan)

Day 10 (Feb 16-17): Hotel -

7a. Sangkhom - Wat Pa Tak Suea (glass floor on lookout point) (2hr drive with river view from Chiang Khan)

Day 11 (Feb 17-18): Hotel -

7b. Wat Pa Phu Kon (blue roof wat and a 2nd wat nearby) (50 min drive from Sangkhom)

7c. Phu Phra Bat (rocks and stuff) (1 hr 10 min from Wat)

8. Nong Khai City - Aquarium (1 hr 10 min from Phu Phra Bat)

Day 12-14 (Feb 18-20): Hotel -

8. Sala Kaeo Ku Temple (crazy temple/statues)

9a. Ban Na Kha Silk Market (30 min from Nong Khai)

9b. Udon Thani City (20 min from Ban Na Kha)

9c. Phu Foi Lom (nature area) (1 hour from Udon)

9d. Red Lotus Lake (nature area, could be pretty with flowers on lake, best to go between 6am-10am as the flowers are open; have to take boat) (45min from Udon)

Leave Udon Thani Feb 22 12:15pm

So, I have 2 nights still to add anywhere between Khon Kaen and Udon. Maybe stay a night in Phetchabun city to do more things around there, or maybe get a place to wake up early to see Phu Thap Buek sunrise in Phetchabun. Maybe stay a night around Phu Ruea or by Reservoir because that looks like too long of a day (but Phu Reau is getting close to getting scratched off the list to even visit so the drive to lake and cave seems reasonable then)...

Any thoughts? Things I missed?

If you pass through Amphur Muang Loei,  You might stop by Saloon Loei downtown, Thanon Ruam Pattana 16/11, right near the traffic circle.  I believe the owner (Chris Roemer) is German.  He also owns Loei Loghome Coffee (his house?) quite close to Huai Krating (Upper Huai Nam Man) Reservoir.  Chris and a bunch of others are in the Loei Gentlemen's Motorcycle Club and they do a lot of riding all over Loei and nearby provinces.  They just recently made rides to Suan Hin Pha Ngam and Chiang Khan, among other places.  They are always all over the Phu Reua area.

https://www.facebook.com/SALOON-Loei-559285000832950/

https://www.facebook.com/Loei-Loghome-Coffee-213410355659201/

Couple food places around downtown Loei:

Loei Kebab Plus https://www.facebook.com/pg/Loei-Kebab-Plus-1944909519128274/about/?ref=page_internal

Loei's American Burger https://www.facebook.com/Loeis-American-Burger-583590911835270/ They are in a bit of a residental area in town by the Huai Nam Man (a creek, really) that comes down from the reservoir and ends at the Loei river.

Phuloei Coffee  19 Soi Ruam Chai 1

Some of the "riff raff" who party at Saloon Loei.  "Big Bob Loei" at front left (met him years ago), Chris (with mustache) next to him.

Saloon Loei LGMC.jpg

11 hours ago, H508 said:

So, getting much closer to finalizing the February Isaan trip plans. I'm a stickler for having a rough itinerary and booking hotels before I go so this is to help me plan the big visits/days needed/driving distances. After I lock down what days I'll be where, then it's booking hotel time and I'm pretty much done with the planning as I can find short excursions/bars/whatever is close by to fill out any down-time.

1b. Wat Pa Thamma Utthayan (temple, walkway; feed you free breakfast or lunch) (20 minute drive from Khon Kaen)

1c. Ubolratana Dam (sit on boat to eat/drink, Wat Phra Bat Phu Pan Kham (can take car up)) (1 hour drive from Khon Kaen)

Day 4 (Feb 10-11): Hotel -  ? (stay close to Phu Kradueng for early start up hill)

2. Suan Hin Pha Ngam (walk through rocks; definitely get a guide) & Phu Pa Poh (2 hr 30 min from Khon Kaen)

3. Phu Kradueng (walk up morning, see some stuff, spend the night, look at sunrise then back down hill)

4a. Wat Phathat Phasomkaew (sometimes spelled Wat Pha Sorn Kaew) (2 hr 40 min from Phu Kradueng)

5a. Phu Ruea?? (maybe, not sure it's worth it, but on the way to Huai Krathing Lake) (2 hr 10 min from Phu Thap Buek)

5b. Huai Krathing Reservoir (raft on lake to eat/drink) (1 hr from Phu Ruea/2 hr 30 from Phu Thap Buek)

Day 8-9 (Feb 14-16): Hotel - Chiangkhan River Green Hill (some dumb, overpriced Tent camp the lady wants to do)

7a. Sangkhom - Wat Pa Tak Suea (glass floor on lookout point) (2hr drive with river view from Chiang Khan)

7b. Wat Pa Phu Kon (blue roof wat and a 2nd wat nearby) (50 min drive from Sangkhom)

9d. Red Lotus Lake (nature area, could be pretty with flowers on lake, best to go between 6am-10am as the flowers are open; have to take boat) (45min from Udon)

So, I have 2 nights still to add anywhere between Khon Kaen and Udon. Maybe stay a night in Phetchabun city to do more things around there, or maybe get a place to wake up early to see Phu Thap Buek sunrise in Phetchabun. Maybe stay a night around Phu Ruea or by Reservoir because that looks like too long of a day (but Phu Reau is getting close to getting scratched off the list to even visit so the drive to lake and cave seems reasonable then)...

You obviously like Temples and driving,! You will be pushed to do Huai Krathing to Erawan cave in 1 hour. Seems like hard work to me but it is your Holiday. Good luck and enjoy

12 hours ago, H508 said:

Have I got this right? Your driving all the way from Huai Krathing Lake to Erawan cave, then driving all the way back again to Chiang Khan? Sorry, but that is crazy and you have got your driving times all wrong, please check, there are too many accidents in Issan due to speed every day

Yeah, that day seemed tight which is why I thought about either cutting out Phu Ruea entirely, or using up another day in that area - see Phu Ruea, get a hotel in Loei city, then do huai krathing and erawan the next day before driving back and spending the night in Chiang Khan.

Erawan is just out of the way from everything but I went to school for mining engineering, so I like rocks and caves :)

I'm just going by google map directions which lists 1 hr 6 min... https://imgur.com/a/ssEIU

I wonder if I shouldn't be using erawan cave (loei) and instead there is a Erawan cave in Nong Bua Lam Phu that is further south and 1 hr 12 min (both sites show the same pictures)

Ended up picking 2 nights in Phetchabun. I'll drive up to Phu Ruea in the morning and stay for a bit, then over to Loei city to spend the night. I'll go to Erawan the next morning, then back to Huai Karthing in the afternoon, then up to Chiang Khan at night to spend 2 nights there... 

So, crisis averted; no speeding cars or packing too much in those days :)

Edited by H508

2 hours ago, H508 said:

Ended up picking 2 nights in Phetchabun. I'll drive up to Phu Ruea in the morning and stay for a bit, then over to Loei city to spend the night. I'll go to Erawan the next morning, then back to Huai Karthing in the afternoon, then up to Chiang Khan at night to spend 2 nights there... 

So, crisis averted; no speeding cars or packing too much in those days :)

There are many hotels in Loei, if you want one with a swimming pool, the hotel is called Loei Palace, if you want just somewhere to stay there is Puttawan 350 baht and one next door, which I forget the name, (off the large roundabout next to the PTT  in the city center) all 3 are in the center of Loei. If you like rocks, you will like Loei province, it 's nickname is the sea of mountains, there is also a place called Pha Ngam rock garden, between Phu Kradung and Wangsaphun, off the 201

• 2 weeks later...

In your time in Chiang Khan and Kaeng Khud Khu, you might want to go to Phu Tok for a sunrise over the rolling fog in the Mekong Valley. Only about 20 minutes from Chiang Khan. I realize this is similar to the rolling fog you'll experience at Phu Kradueng , but worth the view and several hours of your time. 

Also it's fun to pick strawberries near Phu Rea. (Or anywhere along the roadside where you might see it.  You'll be passing many little patches and the naturally ripe strawberries are sooo sweet.)