Phuket beaches

irishken

So what are people's opinions on what Phuket beaches are like since the army moved in and imposed the restrictions on loungers,umbrellas and vendors on the beaches.

I have been watching some Youtube videos that have been using drones as well as normal cameras  and i must say that they look better to me, to a point.

I haven't been to Phuket since 2012 so i haven't seen them in person.

I've two small kids now so when we visit Thailand we usually just head to Pattaya after the Isaan trip is done mainly because it actually has a lot of family/kids stuff to do and  it's too much hassle getting to Phuket since the Airasia flight from Ubon was scrapped. 

I personally loved the service on the beaches and i don't fancy bringing my kids to the beach to be burned in the sun if i cannot get an umbrella in the designated zones.

I did not know that the AirAsia Phuket/Udon flight had been scrapped. Given that we fly that route once a year then that's a blow. Mind you thinking about the Khon Kaen flight starting soon.

I walk Kata beach each morning and these days I see controlled areas of loungers/brollies/food and drink. I must be honest and say I preferred the complete virgin beaches. But Phuket is a tourist destination and beach servics are needed .... if only the rent corruption by corrupt local officials could be stamped out ....  never happen ... too much money to be made.

23 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I did not know that the AirAsia Phuket/Udon flight had been scrapped. Given that we fly that route once a year then that's a blow. Mind you thinking about the Khon Kaen flight starting soon.

I walk Kata beach each morning and these days I see controlled areas of loungers/brollies/food and drink. I must be honest and say I preferred the complete virgin beaches. But Phuket is a tourist destination and beach servics are needed .... if only the rent corruption by corrupt local officials could be stamped out ....  never happen ... too much money to be made.

Yeah they certainly look nicer/cleanerto me and the beach services were one of the reasons people returned to Phuket. 

It was something almost unique to Thailand, that you could just wave down some food,beer,ice cream,fresh fruit,massage and a lot more.  

I said Ubon, not Udon. My misses is from Mukdahan so Ubon Ratchathani was the best place to fly from. I'm sure the Udon Thani flight is still operating 

13 minutes ago, irishken said:

<snip>

I said Ubon, not Udon. My misses is from Mukdahan so Ubon Ratchathani was the best place to fly from. I'm sure the Udon Thani flight is still operating 

Right ... my bad. My wife flew Ubon when that was available. Yes, I know it's not available these past 2 years.  Now she does Phuket/BKK/Buriram  and hires a car these last 2 years.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Have you noticed the 10% area for beach lounges and umbrellas has been expended to twice its size at Kata beach (north end)?  Looks like getting ready to go back to the old arrangement for 2018/19 high season (after election).

7 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Have you noticed the 10% area for beach lounges and umbrellas has been expended to twice its size at Kata beach (north end)?  Looks like getting ready to go back to the old arrangement for 2018/19 high season (after election).

Yes, that is clearly happening. Also the restaurant area at the Northern end has expended considerably, and is still on public land.

It has improved to some extent. The big issue is still the jetskies. This morning and thelast 2 eweeks they have been parked on the sand again opposite the Holiday Inn Hotel and are a big hinderance. THE PARACHUTE FLYERS ARE AT IT AGAIN AND DONT INTRUDE INTO THEIR AREA, YOU WILL BE THREATENED. They don't give a damn if the police is looking or not.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that is clearly happening. Also the restaurant area at the Northern end has expended considerably, and is still on public land.

Those restaurants need to be bulldozed. It's a rats nest and the prices are totally out of control not to mention.  That could be a nice shady area for travelers.  The northern side of Karon is a good example of a few restaurants and undisturbed beach. 

7 minutes ago, jobwolf said:

It has improved to some extent. The big issue is still the jetskies. This morning and thelast 2 eweeks they have been parked on the sand again opposite the Holiday Inn Hotel and are a big hinderance. THE PARACHUTE FLYERS ARE AT IT AGAIN AND DONT INTRUDE INTO THEIR AREA, YOU WILL BE THREATENED. They don't give a damn if the police is looking or not.

Those parachute operators hafta go. They are making a ton of cash and are hostile to anyone who gets in their way. Thy should have to get floating piers out in the sea like they have off Koh Heh. They literally use more public land than the beach chairs do. 

The phuket beaches are fantastic when they dont have loungers and jetskis or parasailers and touts.

Very few people come to asian beaches for loungers and “service”. If you want that kind of stuff you can find it in other parts of the world.

You can buy a two comfy beach chairs and an umbrella at big C for $30 if you really feel the need for a chair and shade.

Which of the two settings do you prefer?

DFCAD54A-E356-4D82-B3AE-3818FE858F86.jpeg

A6488C80-EC0B-429E-9E1E-2589C06D1D8F.jpeg

Archived