Successful Visa Trip to Savannakhet 7/11/2017

Glad you you had a nice couple of days in Laos.

Is this supposed to be of any help to someone who has not obtained a visa at Savannakhet before?

Are you saying that someone with a Tourist visa was given a 30 day visa exemption instead at the whim of the Thai official at the border?

Was the person who got 15 days from one of the countries that are only entitled to 15 day visa on arrival?

An Jonathan...........what's there to like?

PS Thanks for the tip about not smuggling rare animals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, patrick1968 said:

so on the 5th where do you do your 90 days,, a border run . our can do in country,,,,  thanks ,,

Border run for another 90-day entry; or (once only per entry) 60-day extension to visit his Thai wife.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

As far as I know unless someone tells me otherwise your next 90 day run will have to be Savannakhet again.

Not if you have a multiple entry non-o visa. The entries can be done at any border crossing or by air.

15 hours ago, franck1972 said:

Next time pay your Lao Visa in USD
They request 1500 THB or 30 USD, not quite the same. Saves you 4-500 THB by paying in USD, depending on your nationality.

I don't understand ? 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Laos Visa is US$35 or 1500 Baht , you can pay in either currency

US $ 35 is 1150 Baht

Buy US$ 35 for 1150 Baht and pay with those $ and save yourself 350 Baht

Indeed.

I would add some Laos border crossings have insisted upon $36 for quite some time now.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is that solely for the Visa , because they do charge an overtime fee , photo fee , border crossing fee.

Not overtime fee. This is paid at a separate desk and at specific times.

Not a photo fee. I always bring my own photos.

Not a border crossing fee. This is paid at a separate desk and always receipted.

The extra dollar is paid at the visa on arrival counter. I heard it described on another forum as a provincial culture tax! If so, I have no confirmation. When I have paid it, it has been simply demanded (rudely) and that was that.

2 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

hello, do you know what is the time limit to get a Lao visa at Savanhaket border ?

They close the office at 6pm or 8pm ?

The official closing time for the Lao visa on arrival office is 6pm but they are sometimes open later if they are busy.

If they are closed when you get to Thai immigration they will not let you depart the country.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2017 at 6:55 PM, JaiLai said:

Nice report from OP, what day of the week did you go, was it busy?

Thanks.

Always check your calendar for Thai public holidays. thought I was being clever going on a Tuesday until I found out it was another long weekend.

7 minutes ago, Chicagoan said:

For the bank statement, how much needs to be in the bank account (USD)? Do I need to show 3 months in statements or is the past month sufficient?

You don't need financial proof to apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at Savannakhet.

• 3 months later...

Best not using flights for savanakhet as wastes lot of time and money in most scenarios as logistic times don't work good, buses arriving mukdahan early morning by 7:30am latest work best, get straight on border bus and go to bus station .

Don't be in big hurry or you stand in a queue for 2hrs, turn up 1hr after opening and it vip service lol .

Going back mukdahan the bus from bus station works perfect, only reason go tuktuk is if in real rush catch earliest transport option.

pay anymore than 50baht on tuktuk fares and you being stung, 100baht tops if in a rush or just want save some sort of hassle but 200 and up fees are total scams .

It costs me 50baht to savanakhet and 50baht back mukdahan, generally bus as fast as tuktuk as all those that rush normally not pre filled arrival card and got wait for bus anyway .

You will also find if arrive later for thai re-entry you may get slightly less hassle when you the only westerner around as not in the pack with all the regular border drifters that irk the IO's into a bad mood .

Edited by BuckBee