Issan Holiday

ftpjtm

Per the article mentioned in a previous thread, CNN recommends Issan as a fantastic, undiscovered tourist destination. In my 30 years of Thailand visits I've never been comfortable in Issan. Filthy hotel rooms and bad infrastructure were my most memorable take aways. But I've avoided the place for so long, maybe I'm overly critical and the place has changed for the better. So maybe I should give it a try with an open mind. 

CNN says "Chiang Mai? Bangkok? Phuket? Been there, done that. Those looking for a piece of Thailand that's still largely unexplored by the international market should head for the northeast region, referred to as Isaan. This vast section of Thailand is equipped with excellent infrastructure that includes several domestic airports and a range of upmarket hotels." 

Sounds intriguing, and unlike the Issan I remember from years ago. I'm a guy who doesn't like the minimalist lifestyle. I'll venture out to see remote sights by day, but I want a clean, comfortable western style hotel with all the amenities by night. I'm not crazy about Isaan food either, I want a nice western meal or three during my stay. Which is why I spend the bulk of my time in Chonburi and avoid Issan like the plague. 

But CNN implies that my impression of Issan is mistaken/out dated. So, Issan mavens, convince me to take a trip to your neck of the woods. Where should I go to see some interesting sights and tranquil scenery by day, and return to western comfort by night? Help me plan an Issan itinerary fit for a hopelessly westernized farang. 

you can be sure, in Eesan you still find those cozy hotels where you almost get electrocuted during taking a shower

this not so rare occurence counts as one of the adventures of the Eesan . . .  

a lot of things have gone for the better, but a lot of things have just stayed the same

Thus said, another obvious fact hit my mind . . . . . 

After having seen the the zillionth waterfall and the thousandth cliff and the umpteenth temple, the highlights of the Eesan will soon dissolve & dissapear in the eye of the viewer . . . . . 

Edited by crazygreg44

I think maybe the Issan you remember from years ago has changed in terms of standards and availability of hotels as well as Western dining.

This is a hotel I'm staying at in Sakhon and the type you can find in all larger towns/provinces. There are more luxurious if you have a budget to suit. Certainly not filthy or have wiring problems.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/sakon.en-gb.html?aid=357002;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-th-sakon-unspec-th-tab-L%3Aen-O%3AosSx-B%3Asafari-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX-H%3As;sid=5316b7a51aa979775c92ad87f99a13e9;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

As for dining there are plenty of ferang type restaurants around.

Personally I come here because it's a more traditional area and I enjoy the peace and quiet but each to their own.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I have recently made my first trips to the Eastern part of the country.   First was Ubon Ratchathani, where I was pleasantly surprised at the wide streets, footpaths not crumbling away, and wide 6-lane main roads through the city and no traffic jams.   The hotel I chose was great, 3 or 4 star, and excellent food.  Some interesting temples outside of the city.

Then on to Udon Thani, a pleasant and clean city.  Some excellent hotels to choose from, and the street where I stayed had a selection of Aussie, Irish and UK restaurants.

The tuk-tuks there are totally different to the Chiang Mai models, and the drivers mostly spoke good English.

Well worth looking around and getting out of the crowds and traffic jams.

P1120966.JPG

P1120989.JPG

IMG_20171104_085810.jpg

IMG_20171104_085824.jpg

IMG_20171104_085906.jpg

Isaan is great. For the people, no region in Thailand has more fun loving people. I am not talking about the bars (although those are fun too) but anywhere people. They just want to have a good time and joke around. It is extremely poor in the countryside, but you can usually find a good Chinese hotel nearby that is clean and Chinese restaurants across Southeast Asia are the go to places for fresh cooked food, if you are worried about that kind of thing and want a break from the fiery spices of Isaan food. 

Come visit Buriram.  It has changed a lot since I first visited in April 1989. I came out here to live permanently in January 1998. The population was listed as 35,000 people in the city.  Now it is well over 200,000. New roads, bridges, entertainment centers--a great Thai football team, an F3 racing track. Thai Grandprix is scheduled for February 2018. Some very nice hotels" Amari, Best Western, Alvarez, Princess Sita. Amari's  food is extremely delicious. Three western shopping malls-- Robinsons, Taweetkit and Big C. My son is the night manager at Amari. Had some friends stay there for a week this past month and they were very pleased. When we first arrived there were only 2 flights per week. Now soon to have 12 flights per day. To me Buriram is home. There's no place like home

Where to go depends on what you are interested in: sightseeing, temples, waterfalls...?

The first thing to take into consideration is that Isaan is a big place, and that points of interest can be far and away from each other.

For example, in order to visit the Kongchiam area, in Ubon province, with the national parks around, you need to spend at least 2 days and drive 80 km, one way, from Ubon city...and by the way there is a top notch hotel right on the Mekong river in Kongchiam, with top notch food...one of the best places I know in Thailand.

Thus, the first thing to determine is how much time you want to dedicate to this trip.

Then comes the mean of transportation: do you have a car? Will you be alone, driving yourself?

Unless you are ready to spend a great deal of time in this region, and to drive a lot, you will probably have to chose between going North (Korat, Udon, Loei...) or going East (Buriram, Ubon...).

Then, and only then, it will be time to set up an itinerary...

Edited by Brunolem
Rephrasing

8 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Sounds intriguing, and unlike the Issan I remember from years ago. I'm a guy who doesn't like the minimalist lifestyle. I'll venture out to see remote sights by day, but I want a clean, comfortable western style hotel with all the amenities by night. I'm not crazy about Isaan food either, I want a nice western meal or three during my stay. Which is why I spend the bulk of my time in Chonburi and avoid Issan like the plague. 

Why are you even in Thailand?

2 hours ago, treehouse_ monkey said:

Come visit Buriram.  It has changed a lot since I first visited in April 1989. I came out here to live permanently in January 1998. The population was listed as 35,000 people in the city.  Now it is well over 200,000. New roads, bridges, entertainment centers--a great Thai football team, an F3 racing track. Thai Grandprix is scheduled for February 2018. Some very nice hotels" Amari, Best Western, Alvarez, Princess Sita. Amari's  food is extremely delicious. Three western shopping malls-- Robinsons, Taweetkit and Big C. My son is the night manager at Amari. Had some friends stay there for a week this past month and they were very pleased. When we first arrived there were only 2 flights per week. Now soon to have 12 flights per day. To me Buriram is home. There's no place like home

When you say Thai Grandprix, do you mean Muay Thai?  I can't see that Thailand has an F1 GP next year.  If it does I'll be happy!

22 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

For example, in order to visit the Kongchiam area, in Ubon province, with the national parks around, you need to spend at least 2 days and drive 80 km, one way, from Ubon city...and by the way there is a top notch hotel right on the Mekong river in Kongchiam, with top notch food...one of the best places I know in Thailand.

I love the sound of Kongchiam.  National parks and hotel on the Mekong, that's my kind of short break. It sounds like the time I stayed in Luang Prabang, Laos. 

I assume it gets colder up there at certain times of the year, right?

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I love the sound of Kongchiam.  National parks and hotel on the Mekong, that's my kind of short break. It sounds like the time I stayed in Luang Prabang, Laos. 

I assume it gets colder up there at certain times of the year, right?

It used to get colder...but these days, with climate change, winter has all but disappeared!

We had one "real" winter in the past five years, and this year doesn't look any better...on November 10th, I am sweating abundently and chasing mosquitoes as if we were in July!

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

It used to get colder...but these days, with climate change, winter has all but disappeared!

We had one "real" winter in the past five years, and this year doesn't look any better...on November 10th, I am sweating abundently and chasing mosquitoes as if we were in July!

I guess the mozzies are the trade off for beautiful surroundings. Always the way!

What's the quickest way to get to KC, say from Bkk?  I like to spend the least time possible travelling so I get more time at a destination.

18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I guess the mozzies are the trade off for beautiful surroundings. Always the way!

What's the quickest way to get to KC, say from Bkk?  I like to spend the least time possible travelling so I get more time at a destination.

The fastest way is certainly to get to Ubon by plane...many flights a day...and then to Kongchiam by road.

There are probably buses or minibuses leaving from Ubon bus station.

Otherwise, it is also possible to use a taxi-meter directly from the airport...they charge 10 baht/km...so about 800 baht to get to Kongchiam...

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Why are you even in Thailand?

"Chonburi" is the clue.

Nothing wrong with Pattaya of course.

But it's really a hybridised pleasure park (which happens to be staffed by Thai people) not Thailand.

That's why the sybarites and lotus eaters prefer to stay there.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Where to go depends on what you are interested in: sightseeing, temples, waterfalls...?

The first thing to take into consideration is that Isaan is a big place, and that points of interest can be far and away from each other.

Thus, the first thing to determine is how much time you want to dedicate to this trip.

Then comes the mean of transportation: do you have a car? Will you be alone, driving yourself?

Unless you are ready to spend a great deal of time in this region, and to drive a lot, you will probably have to chose between going North (Korat, Udon, Loei...) or going East (Buriram, Ubon...).

Then, and only then, it will be time to set up an itinerary...

Great post.... we had been thinking about a road trip (once there are reports of less flooding!)

we will stating thinking on the north north or east options... north might be flesh waterlogged.

cheers

4 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Great post.... we had been thinking about a road trip (once there are reports of less flooding!)

we will stating thinking on the north north or east options... north might be flesh waterlogged.

cheers

No flooding at all in the Eastern part...rain has stopped falling for almost a month now....

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The fastest way is certainly to get to Ubon by plane...many flights a day...and then to Kongchiam by road.

There are probably buses or minibuses leaving from Ubon bus station.

Otherwise, it is also possible to use a taxi-meter directly from the airport...they charge 10 baht/km...so about 800 baht to get to Kongchiam...

Very helpful, thanks

From my limited experience go west from Nong Khai and travel west upriver. Some nice little welcoming friendly towns and villages along the way. Waterfront accommodation is spartan but clean and not so expensive.

12 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Where should I go to see some interesting sights and tranquil scenery by day, and return to western comfort by night?

I for one think issan has absolutely nothing to see.Been to one market been to them all, been to one temple/wat been to them all, etc

What it does have is wonderful people and some farangs that have embraced the issan way of life.

It has to be said that it can be extremely boring unless you can find something that you can occupy yourself/keep yourself busy doing( for me it is my son).

Joining in with locals in all events is a must to stay sane but very enjoyable. I don't speak Thai (must start to learn) but we all muddle through

I also do not like most Thai cuisine and like to cook western food and give it to my thai compatriots to sample as they do to me

Played for the village football team last year and now lots of thai's recognise me when i ride around the area on my bike and say hello

Living there is definitely not everyone's cup of tea and if single only good for short periods of time but as someone has stated most places have one or two good hotels

I couldn't care less about the hotel I stay in, I just pick the cheapest room available.  When I visit somewhere I go there for the attractions not the hotel.  I understand not everybody is the same as that.

Anyway Isaan is pretty boring in Udon Thani, Khon Kaen and everything south and east of that (unless you're including the area in and around Khao Yai).  It's just rice fields.  Though the people are lovely (and in the case of attractive females, easier).  The interesting bits of Isaan are further west around Phu Kradeung, and the other national parks.  There're some nice roads through Loei.