A-O extension of stay coming up

My A-O visa has a must enter date of the 21st November 2017. So I was thinking about going out of the country at the end of next week to extend it by another year.

I am currently in 2 minds as to whether or not its worth doing. I can spend 2000 baht just going to CW and taking the relevant paperwork and spending 3 or 4 hours there, then leaving with another years extension to stay or spend far more traveling in a van being driven by Lewis Hamilton on speed for a boarder run or taking a trip by plane which would be far more costly. Both options would take longer than a trip to immigration also.

Which to choose. 

What is your current permit to stay date from you last entry to the country. You cannot apply for an extension until you have 30 days or less left on it.

Applying for an extension of stay would be an option if you have the needed financial proof ready.

1 hour ago, berybert said:

taking a trip by plane which would be far more costly.

Unfortunately you are too late for a cheap flight booking until 21 Nov.

Otherwise you could have gotten Don Mueang - Kuala Lumpur return for about 3000 or even less.

No visa (cost) involved for Malaysia for most nationals (compare that with a "van run" to Cambodia).

On Thursday 16th you might make it for about 4000 Baht.

Penang with similar prices.

AirAsia.

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unfortunately you are too late for a cheap flight booking until 21 Nov.

Otherwise you could have gotten Don Mueang - Kuala Lumpur return for about 3000 or even less.

No visa (cost) involved for Malaysia for most nationals (compare that with a "van run" to Cambodia).

On Thursday 16th you might make it for about 4000 Baht.

Penang with similar prices.

AirAsia.

Yes. or spend 2000 baht or there about's and just go to immigration. 

3 minutes ago, berybert said:

Yes. or spend 2000 baht or there about's and just go to immigration. 

As ubonjoe wrote: if time is ripe and you have the financials (income or deposit on Thai bank account) it's your choice.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you currently meet the financial conditions for a one year extension of stay and have that paperwork available (it is an additional expense).

Income statement can be pricey at same embassies.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What is your current permit to stay date from you last entry to the country. You cannot apply for an extension until you have 30 days or less left on it.

Applying for an extension of stay would be an option if you have the needed financial proof ready.

I entered the country on the 13th of July 2017. Did my 90 day report last month. My enter before date is 21st November 2017. 

Not sure what you mean by current permit to stay date.

4 minutes ago, berybert said:

I entered the country on the 13th of July 2017. Did my 90 day report last month. My enter before date is 21st November 2017. 

Not sure what you mean by current permit to stay date.

If you entered on July 13th 2017 you have a permit to stay until July 12th 2018. Therefore, you can't apply for an extension of stay until then.

The advantage of doing a border run now would give you new permission to stay until Nov 2019 and you wouldn't need to apply for an extension until then.

Edited by elviajero

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

So you have the arrival stamp in your passport which states ADMITTED UNTIL 12 JUL 2018 and CAN NOT apply for extension now.

Blimey I never noticed that. So you are right. Dont need to worry about it until July next year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So you have the arrival stamp in your passport which states ADMITTED UNTIL 12 JUL 2018 and CAN NOT apply for extension now.

For the sake of 4 months its hardly worth the hassle. 

Glad I asked the question now.

The joys of knowing nothing about anything !!

Atleast I now also know what Ubonjoe meant.

5 minutes ago, berybert said:

Blimey I never noticed that. So you are right. Dont need to worry about it until July next year. 

But remember after the 21st you will need a re-entry permit to keep that entry valid if you want to travel.

July is actually a much better time to do an extension than November...but depends on your local office.  Cheap flight to Chiang Rai and a 60 THB clunker bus to the border, 10 USD to get in, would be an option.  They are generally quite nice up there if you ain't trying any BS.