Student’s ‘Ignorant Thailand’ Banner Impresses, Outrages

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/13/2017 at 12:53 PM, Misterwhisper said:

And  judging from the dumb comments their banner apparently incited on the internet, the students hit it right on the head with their "coconut shell" allegory:

“Insulting your own country, calling your own country Kala Land. I did not expect to this kind of expression from young people at this year’s Jaturamitr football match. Very disappointing and sad.”

“The brains of these kids are inferior even to dogs and buffaloes. They used the word coconut shell to insult their own country where their own ancestors lived and worked for them."

It is exactly this sort of blind nationalism that is holding Thailand back on so many levels.

But good to see that there are people among the younger generation, like those students, who have actually started to think and criticize, and that they enjoyed some support for their action:

“If you want to know whether Thailand is indeed land of coconut shell, just see for yourself the comments that scold the kids 555,” tweeted @gobtaiii.

good for those students. Question more!

On 11/13/2017 at 12:35 PM, NCC1701A said:

I met a nice Thai lady who asked me why I am in Thailand. She says she hates Thailand now that she had made it to New Zealand and took a look around. 

The grass is usually greener, especially on holiday when the money flows pretty freely.

Ask her again after she's lived there a few years and has to live within a budget.  It's not that I disagree with her.  But she may find she also likes another part of Thailand better than the one where she lives. 

I'm always amused at the number of foreigners who live for decades in some dumpy neighborhood back home, to stay close to family- or for the career.  They could improve their surroundings by moving 50 miles.  Instead, they pull up stakes and move to Thailand, Costa Rica, Vietnam, or wherever.  And they marvel at how much cheaper a hovel in paradise is, compared to the 3 bedroom suburban home they left behind.

Edited by impulse

• 3 weeks later...