Opinion: A tourist’s defence of Vachira Phuket Hospital vs Stacey Liddle

webfact

Opinion: A tourist’s defence of Vachira Phuket Hospital vs Stacey Liddle

The Phuket News

1510559300_1-org.jpg

It may not impress some tourists, but Vachira Phuket Hospital is the island's leading government hospital provided by the Thai Ministry of Heath with one key objective: to provide medical care to Thais. Photo: The Phuket News / file

I saw this story on the Australian news (click here) and thought it grossly one sided and uninformed. I wrote to the news channel to try to give them a more unbiased view of the Vachira hospital. Please see my email below of my opinion of their biased reporting:

Although I sympathise with the lady who had the accident, I think what was reported regarding the Vachira Phuket Hospital to be grossly exaggerated.

I too had a motorcycle accident in Phuket a few months ago. I was taken to the same hospital and received excellent medical attention for the four days I was in the hospital. The wards are old, yes, but not filthy. This is after all a public funded hospital and is used mainly by Thai people.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-a-tourist-defence-of-vachira-phuket-hospital-vs-stacey-liddle-64675.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-13

Well done Gerald! There are too many farangs, both tourists and expats, who seem to enjoy putting down the country and it's people, yet continue to return year after year. The comments made by Stacey Liddle and her mother should be sufficient ground to prevent them from further visits.

Valid points he makes.

Let me add that the hospital is on the brink of opening a new ward which is priced between a government hospital and a private hospital. Except shorter waiting lines here, even better care, and more luxury. Of course this will cost a bit more but it would perfectly suit foreigners who have a little more to spend.

47 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I really hope this gets through to the media in Australia, unfortunately it wont. Why let the truth get in the way of a good tabloid story and crowd funding exercise.

This is not news anymore, so no, it will not be getting any media attention.

9 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Wow, this article is too funny !  Great advertisement for the hospital......."Come stay at Vachira, our wards are not filthy !" 

With so much fake news and infomercials masquerading as news, it's hard to know what's true anymore. 

wow, point missed entirely.

he was directly addressing the contention that the hospital ward was filthy. thus he said it was not filthy.  

same with the point about rats which i find very difficult to believe. 

I think he brings up many good points about ms liddle's motivation to garner sympathy and more importantly money due to her own inability to both ride a motorcycle or purchase appropriate insurance.

shes lucky she didnt come off in the US, despite the fact that she could never have rented a bike there.

I visited my friend at Vachira who had life threatening injuries and was fitting and therefore had to be strapped to the bed with a tube inserted into her chest so she could breath. Therefore she could not speak. She had many injuries including a swollen brain. Her pupils were dilated, I was so upset. I asked to speak to the doctor and he said she would likely recover. She did and could not move one side of her face but over the months made a full recovery including her face and can now speak normally. The hospital was clean I am from the UK so know what clean hospitals are and also I lived in Australia, Thailand I lived for 7 years and clearly the doctors, nurses and hospital saved her life. Gerald I don't know how long you were in Phuket but there are many doctor's surgeries in the high streets and you can just walk in. Hospitals are also busy in many countries in Thailand you can also but many drugs at a Pharmacy that you need to see a doctor and get a prescription for in GB/Aus so your comment about not having doctors surgeries is not accurate clearly you did not notice or mix with Thai people. This is not the reason the hospital was busy. I like your support of the hospital as it certainly saved my friend life. Well done Vachira you deserve it!