Misfiring Italy fail to reach World Cup as Sweden go through

webfact

Misfiring Italy fail to reach World Cup as Sweden go through

By Brian Homewood

tag_reuters.jpg

Soccer Football - 2018 World Cup Qualifications - Europe - Italy vs Sweden - San Siro, Milan, Italy - November 13, 2017 Italy’s Stephan El Shaarawy looks dejected as Sweden’s Emil Forsberg looks on after the match REUTERS/Max Rossi

MILAN (Reuters) - Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years after being held to a 0-0 home draw on Monday by a defiant Sweden, who booked a place at next year's finals in Russia with a 1-0 aggregate win.

Sweden survived waves of attacks in the second leg of their European playoff on a night of unremitting tension and drama at a stunned San Siro where the cheers turned to boos after four-times champions Italy were left to rue their spurned chances.

The Italians, who had not missed the World Cup since the 1958 finals in Sweden, had 75 percent of possession, squandered numerous opportunities and had penalty appeals turned down in their increasingly desperate search for an equaliser.

The Italy players, who along with their 69-year-old coach Gian Piero Ventura, are likely to face long inquests, collapsed onto the pitch in despair at the final whistle and even veterans such as Giorgio Chiellini were inconsolable.

The defeat brought the curtain down on the remarkable international career of 39-year-old goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who was making his 175th appearance for his country.

Sweden coach Jan Andersson admitted that his side had to cling on against technically superior opponents.

"We had no weapons left. We just had to sit there and hope that we could hang on," he said. "We couldn't do it in any other way, they are so skilful."

UNDER FIRE

Ventura, under fire for his team selections and tactics, made four changes to the team which lost the first leg and brought Jorginho into midfield for the suspended Marco Verratti.

It was a huge ask of the Brazilian-born player who had not previously played a competitive game for Italy.

Nervous and jittery, Italy struggled to find their feet in a desperately scrappy opening 20 minutes, but began to create chances down the wings with Matteo Darmian and Antonio Candreva.

Candreva had the first real chance when Immobile cut the ball back across the face of goal but he fired over.

The chances began to flow as Jorginho chipped the ball over the Sweden defence to release Ciro Immobile whose shot was partially stopped by Olsen and cleared away by Victor Lindelof as it was about to trickle over the line.

Andreas Granqvist made a superb tackle on Manolo Gabbiadini as he looked set to score and Olsen then denied Alessandro Florenzi after he tricked his way past Mikael Lustig.

Italy kept pressing after halftime but their attacks became more desperate as the game went on and the realisation that they were heading for failure clearly weighed on their shoulders.

The Italians did not enter the first World Cup in 1930 but apart from the 1958 finals they have been ever-present.

(Reporting by Brian Homewood; Editing by Ken Ferris)

reuters_logo.jpg
      -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-14

It was the weakest Italian squad i've ever seen the last world cup.  I'm not sure this failure to qualify came as a total shock, it was an accident waiting to happen but very sad for Buffon's illustrious career to end in such manner.

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

It was the weakest Italian squad i've ever seen the last world cup.  I'm not sure this failure to qualify came as a total shock, it was an accident waiting to happen but very sad for Buffon's illustrious career to end in such manner.

In addition their manager was apparently out of his depth. A pity.

13 minutes ago, jellydog said:

In addition their manager was apparently out of his depth. A pity.

Yes it is, i think the absence of the likes of Italy and Holland doesn't really hold any positives, but saying that i don't have much in the way of feel good regarding with of the two forthcoming world cups.  Little glamour in the idea of playing in Russia and Qatar is just a disgrace from start to finish.

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes it is, i think the absence of the likes of Italy and Holland doesn't really hold any positives, but saying that i don't have much in the way of feel good regarding with of the two forthcoming world cups.  Little glamour in the idea of playing in Russia and Qatar is just a disgrace from start to finish.

I was really hoping Italy would make it through. I've always been fond of Italy. I got caught up in their celebration in New York City in 1982 in Little Italy. It was bananas !

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Italy and Holland are just names from the World Cup past; shadows of the legendary, multi-talented, multiple cup finalists and winners from before. If one's national squad hasn't got what it takes, it's better to fail under the dimmer spotlight of the qualifiers than crash and burn horribly and very publicly  at the main event.

After Brazil's drubbing at the last WC, they too are in eclipse. The days of multiple, talented, exciting mainly west African teams qualifying is also history. The 'one man bands' from Argentina and Portugal are predictably, fundamentally boring. Maybe Spain has a depth of talent but the management is questionable and I don't see them mirroring the class of 2008 and 2010. Sweden's last-minute qualification could see Forsberg do what Ibrahimović couldn't manage on the international stage, albeit another possible one man band scenario. 

It's time for Morroco, Iceland, Japan and Costa Rica to have their day in the sun and give us some excitement. Just hope that not too many get hurt standing in the way of the 'lokomotive' of Germany.

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Italy and Holland are just names from the World Cup past; shadows of the legendary, multi-talented, multiple cup finalists and winners from before. If one's national squad hasn't got what it takes, it's better to fail under the dimmer spotlight of the qualifiers than crash and burn horribly and very publicly  at the main event.

After Brazil's drubbing at the last WC, they too are in eclipse. The days of multiple, talented, exciting mainly west African teams qualifying is also history. The 'one man bands' from Argentina and Portugal are predictably, fundamentally boring. Maybe Spain has a depth of talent but the management is questionable and I don't see them mirroring the class of 2008 and 2010. Sweden's last-minute qualification could see Forsberg do what Ibrahimović couldn't manage on the international stage, albeit another possible one man band scenario. 

It's time for Morroco, Iceland, Japan and Costa Rica to have their day in the sun and give us some excitement. Just hope that not too many get hurt standing in the way of the 'lokomotive' of Germany.

Brazil is most assuredly not in eclipse.

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Brazil is most assuredly not in eclipse.

OK, an enviable 5 wins from an equally enviable 21 consecutive appearances. The last WC win 15 years ago pales with the 24 year gap between their 3rd and 4th WC win, but I don't think the current squad has what it takes quite yet. Maybe I am dwelling in the past when they had charismatic players indulging us with mesmerizing skills that the Dutch also-rans of (about) the same era similarly offered. Is the excitement still there?

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

OK, an enviable 5 wins from an equally enviable 21 consecutive appearances. The last WC win 15 years ago pales with the 24 year gap between their 3rd and 4th WC win, but I don't think the current squad has what it takes quite yet. Maybe I am dwelling in the past when they had charismatic players indulging us with mesmerizing skills that the Dutch also-rans of (about) the same era similarly offered. Is the excitement still there?

New excitement and confidence under the new manager Tite. The Brazil FA finally got their head out of their bum and got rid of Dunga. Brazil waltzed through the WC Qualifiers in South America which is not easy to do. They're not a surefire bet to win the WC, but then nobody is.

6 minutes ago, wilai said:

No mention of Les Grenouilles?........... Favourites for me if Kante remains fit.

Yeah, to be sure. There's a case to be made for those that like to make cases, that Kante is the most valuable footballer in the world. Don't know that I've ever seen a midfielder who covers as much ground, and with what appears to be minimal effort. I guess we'll have to see if he gets the nod over Payet.:wink:

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

I get it now, Rodders.  So our Christmas tree formation will be 0-0-0-2.  You're a genius. 

Well you can pick any others as long as you include Rose, Trippier Winks and Dier.

Do you see where this is going?

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

Yes, I do.  Eliminated in the group stage.

Well I have to agree it would be helpful if Gareth Southgate walked out in front of a bus but hopefully Poch will tell his players to ignore him and bang in a few goals.