Phuket pickup truck overturns on bypass road: one dead, seven injured

webfact

Phuket pickup truck overturns on bypass road: one dead, seven injured

Eakkapop Thongtub

1510713209_1-org.jpg

The pickup truck overturned on the bypass road during rush hour this morning. Photo: Phuket City Traffic Police

PHUKET: A pickup truck carrying carrying Myanmar migrant workers in the tray overturned on the bypass road during rush hour this morning (Nov 15), leaving at least one dead and seven injured with the victims left strewn along the busy road.

Phuket City Traffic Police reported that the pickup truck overturned in a single-vehicle accident on the southbound lanes about 100 metres from the Keehin industrial machinery depot at about 8:20am.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-pickup-truck-overturns-on-bypass-road-one-dead-seven-injured-64699.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-15

22 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Wasn't  it made illegal to carry people in the back of a pick up after Songkhran this year ?   If it was it was soon forgot !

it was tried but the government pulled back due to the public outcry. for a moment thailand made a positive move to reduce the carnage. and then didnt.

i almost got taken out the other day by an idiot on a motorcyclist riding at speed up the wrong side of a busy road. moron.

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Wasn't  it made illegal to carry people in the back of a pick up after Songkhran this year ?   If it was it was soon forgot !

That rule lasted about two days until so many people complained that they wanted to retain the right to kill themselves. Like every other rule here it was then quietly forgotten.

5 hours ago, Borzandy said:

At least they were wearing a helmet....

What a crass comment to make. Just see the video footage of the site- poor sods didn't have a chance. Glad you found humour in the situation though.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

It was proposed by central government in BKK. But public out cry won the day very quickly.

To be honest its not a practical solution. How are agricultural workers in other area of the country supposed to get around?  There are plenty of situations where its the only way to get people around.

The problem isn't the people in the back of the trucks (sometimes 16-20) its Somchai the driver (as it is with the majority of crashes.) Personally I think there is scope to ban them from certain roads though.

Edited by Psimbo

To be honest its not a practical solution. How are agricultural workers in other area of the country supposed to get around?  There are plenty of situations where its the only way to get people around.

The problem isn't the people in the back of the trucks (sometimes 16-20) its Somchai the driver (as it is with the majority of crashes.) Personally I think there is scope to ban them from certain roads though.

How else could they get around? Several ways - van might be best.
Oh, but hang on, it wouldn't be safer!

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Omg you are right But as you said That law is not enforced like most laws here because the people did not like it So what we put this down to 1 Speeding  2 Texting at wheel 3 Brake failure 4 Stupidy 5 Me me attitude 6 No respect for the keystone cops Take your pick  But not matter these aliens are from Burma Be lucky if the police do an investigation These people are only in Thailand because Thais are to lazy to work 

On 15/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, jaiyen said:

Yes. Clearly they were inside the cab. Bit of a squeeze but had to obey the law........ Windows open 'tho hence the bodies on the road?

On 11/15/2017 at 8:03 PM, bheard said:

How else could they get around? Several ways - van might be best.
Oh, but hang on, it wouldn't be safer!

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So every business should have two sets of vehicles? That's gonna work isn't it.  Pickups are multi-use, vans aren't. You are aware of how minibus drivers 'drive' as well i take it? Getting drivers to DRIVE is the solution.

Edited by Psimbo

On 11/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, swbaggies said:

what video?

The videos on the Interweb. There is one of the truck actually wiping out on Chukiat Ayuperm's facebook page and one of the medics responding on the rescue people's page. 

For some reason I can't edit my comment. For loads of wacky videos on Phuket driving put ' Phuket Volunteer Rescue' into facebook. It brings up a lot of videos of pre/post crash dashcams amongst other stuff like giant pythons stuck down toilets. Text for the actual events is in Thai though. 

Very sad once again !!!....With the never ending mishaps, the insurance companies in Thailand will soon be bankrupt...assuming of course that the involved have taken insurance, which is another story.

RIP to the victim and a fast recovery to the others.