Notary Services in Udon

MarcIssan

I needed a rather lengthy document notarized in 11 places and the originator of the document required that the notary be English speaking and an attorney.  That was one tall order and I thought "Good f'ing luck trying to find one of those".  I Googled what I needed and came up with few in Isaan but none in Udon.   By chance I was walking around town and did see a law office  window that indicated they spoke English so I figured why not try!  I chatted with the notary a bit and she insisted on seeing the document but stated the fee was 3000 bt PER STAMP!  WHAT!  That means 33,000 bt for my document or about $1000 US currency.  Uhhhh...NFW (No fk'ing way)!  I thought once she saw the document she might become more reasonable especially if I told her the fees other notaries were charging in nearby cities.  (I found a notary in Pattaya who confirmed the 500 bt fee as normal and customary). 

The notary wanted me to leave the document for 2 hours while she read it THEN quote me a final price.  Uhhh...NFW!!  Even if I said NO to the price after she had my document in her hands for 2 hours, I'm sure there would be a 2 hour review fee required to get my document back!  Other notaries I called quoted a price per stamp without seeing the document first so I thought this was an unusual request...one to be wary of.  PM me if you want the name.

While I was chatting with her, she and my wife starting talking (not in English of course) and the notary said that I looked too serious and she didn't want to do business with me.   I learned about that after we left the office and wondered why she would say that!   My friend said it was because she figured out I was not going to fall for such a high price and it was a way to save face. I was just as I was about to leave, I thought I'd give it one more shot and I said something like "Are you sure it costs this much.  That is very high...too pang!  I found a notary/attorney in Korat who charges 500 bt per stamp or 5,500 bt for the entire document".  She basically said "Go ahead"...and motioned for me to leave brushing me off like a fly on her desk.  I found that offensive and quit rude but I guess if they are awash in clients who don't question their fees then they can be picky and toss out the ones who are only willing to pay competitive prices.

Anyway, I had a nice time in Korat and spent another day in Buriram and still saved a ton of money over the fees she quoted.  If you ever need notary work and it involves more than one stamp, it may be a worthwhile trip to Korat:

Issan Lawyers

1849/14 Time Square

084-471-5775

Miss Wichuda Atthamethakon

Well you do not discuss the nature of the document and that's OK but, should anything regarding the notarized document be challenged in court, an adversary could have the document declared null & void unless the notary was obtained at the US Embassy BKK or Consulate CNX.

Earlier this year I had 3 Thai birth certificates, 2 Thai ID cards, 1 school enrollment record and a Thai marriage certificate each photo-copied, translated into English and notarized,  at a lawyers office in Surin. Cost me 2500 baht and were accepted by the IRS. 

"While there are no notaries public in Thailand, some lawyers are given the authority to function as Notarial Services Attorney in the country."

"As Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, in some cases, parties who have engaged notarial services in Thailand may need to have the notarized document authenticated or legalized further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, or at the Embassy of the country to which the document is to be presented."

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Notary-Service.php

A notarized document as described in the instance above might be valid to complete a real estate transaction but, if the document were ever challenged by an adversary in Court, at least under Florida law, it might be void in Court.

4 minutes ago, AlbionThailand said:

Makes no sense - a Notary's function is to certify that you are the person named and signing the document and that you are signing willingly - and not being forced to do so.  The Notary has no business reading the contents of the document.

I think you are confusing the role of a witness and a Notary.

The Notary's role is as much about fraud prevention as it is about witnessing a signature. It is a higher level  of authority carrying a greater degree of due diligence.

32 minutes ago, AlbionThailand said:

Makes no sense - a Notary's function is to certify that you are the person named and signing the document and that you are signing willingly - and not being forced to do so.  The Notary has no business reading the contents of the document.

From the  US Embassy - Bangkok website on Notarial services:

Please be aware that the consular officer may refuse any notary service when:

• The officer does not understand the document, due to language, the documents are incomplete , or any other reason.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

BTW from the Isaan Lawyers website: "In Thailand, a lawyer can also be a 'Notary' if he has a special license from the Thai law society."

Regarding foreign notaries, the State of Washington requires that the notary be authorized "... under the authority and in the jurisdiction of a foreign state or constituent unit of the foreign state ..."

So should any matter reach a Court in the State of Washington, a notary as received from Isaan Lawyers might be declared invalid.

I required half a dozen documents signed and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, so I emailed the Australian Embassy Bangkok, yes come on down, weighing up the expenses, i.e. flight costs, accommodation, parking at airport, taxis to and from airport, I said its going to cost me too much, then an Aussie who owns a bar that I frequent said go to Laos, and do it at the Australian Embassy there, so I emailed them and did it there, 1900 baht to get out of Thailand, i.e. exit stamp, 300 baht return 1 hour taxi fare, including the 1 hour waiting time, and $70 US for the embassy.

It was an hour 30 drive to the border so a whole day out an about.

I would be checking with your embassy first to see if you could get it done there as it might save you costs.

Archived