Phuket to Malaysia

pagallim

Next month I'm driving to Penang for a couple of days with a buddy of mine.   Has anyone in Phuket recently taken their car across the border to Malaysia, and if so, what were the documentation requirements?   I'd prefer local (Phuket) responses rather than feedback from the motoring forum.

My car is wholly owned (no finance), registered in my name, and the glass has no tint at all so that's not an issue.   I'm also aware that it's better to get insurance and Roman number plate stickers across the border rather than on the Thai side.   Any other showstoppers?

Edited by pagallim

I drove mine last year. Financed, tinted windows. Cross the border, get stamped. Then drive to the many insurance companies lining the road. They romanize your plates, charge you like 80 or so ringit for 90 days of insurance. Very well worth it..... Nothing else to report.

Just normal car registration that shows your name and insurance....not a hassle at all.

Edited by Somtamnication

I drove mine last year. Financed, tinted windows. Cross the border, get stamped. Then drive to the many insurance companies lining the road. They romanize your plates, charge you like 80 or so ringit for 90 days of insurance. Very well worth it..... Nothing else to report.

Just normal car registration that shows your name and insurance....not a hassle at all.

Thanks for that, so no grief at all then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

BEFORE you leave, take ur cars registration book to the vehicle dept and request a LETTER ( not the cars passport) to take your car into Malaysia. Its a translation into english of your book cost 50 baht, takes a few days

at Sadao cross over ( dont forget to get ur temp export paper on the thai side) after you clear Malaysian customs, on the far right, stop and get your thai plate translated into 2 English stickers , insurance and your round tax disc.

85% of the time they will check your window tint, if its over 40% you need take it off

Satun Crossing ( nicer drive down from Phuket) BEFORE you depart Thailand, on the right hand side, (just ask)  you will see the shops that will do the stickers and sell you insurance

Make sure u have Malaysian Ringet to pay for highway tolls and gas, no change places there

Edited by phuketrichard

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

BEFORE you leave, take ur cars registration book to the vehicle dept and request a LETTER ( not the cars passport) to take your car into Malaysia. Its a translation into english of your book cost 50 baht, takes a few days

at Sadao cross over ( dont forget to get ur temp export paper on the thai side) after you clear Malaysian customs, on the far right, stop and get your thai plate translated into 2 English stickers , insurance and your round tax disc.

85% of the time they will check your window tint, if its over 40% you need take it off

Satun Crossing ( nicer drive down from Phuket) BEFORE you depart Thailand, on the right hand side, (just ask)  you will see the shops that will do the stickers and sell you insurance

Make sure u have Malaysian Ringet to pay for highway tolls and gas, no change places there

Do they check window film at the Satung x-ing ?

Do they check window film at the Satung x-ing ?

sometimes

Is there a problem if the car is registered in the wife's (Thai) name and I cross on my own?

YES<
she needs be there..or maybe u can get a notarized letter from her , but i'd never  risk it.

Phuket to Sadao 7-8 hours

Satun 8-9 (i usually stay in Satun 1 night)

Phuket - Penang via Sadao 10 hours

Come back visa Betong ,lovely drive

^   Plan is to overnight in Hat Yai on the way down, then 2 nights in Georgetown.   Stopover on the way back to be decided, could could be Hat Yai again depending on what the first night was like.   Only a 5 day/4 night sojourn.   

I have thought about a trip to Penang as i have not been there for about 20 years

Wouldn't you be better of flying down there with firefly airlines and saving the hassle of driving there

We have driven to Satun for a holiday in Langkawi and i did not think the trip was interesting enough to do it again