RCA case highlights problems of kids selling flowers/sweets at entertainment areas

webfact

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Isn't this just a case of poor Thai families using all their resources to eek out a living? Mum sells a bit of food, dad does a bit of taxi driving, kids do a bit of flower selling, etc. etc. The kids I see doing this always seem to be enjoying it, and making a few baht for the family at the same time.

Should we really be preaching to these families who live a life of genuine poverty?

Or am I being naïve?

Yes  and  no. As  with  anything  there  is  always  the potential  for  a  criminally   contrived  outcome. Where  and when that  happens  is  often  due to  the  location. For  those  that  avoid blatant  sleaze  usually  avoid problems.

Sadly  the  attraction  for  those  of  poverty involved  in this  trade  to  commit  to extortion attempts  always  exists, whether that be  from  succumbing  to genuine  desperation  or   pure  and  simple  criminal  intent. Not  so  innocent  are the  "street wise" children  who  eventually  progress on  to  being  the  organizers of  the  new  generation. As  many  have  pointed  out this   is  not  exclusively a  Thailand  scenario.

9 hours ago, upena said:

Little kids were selling flowers on Patpong back in 1973. No news here.

The News is that the children back in 1973 have completed their training and are now problably selling themselves....

Nothing new. Happening all over Thailand for decades and the police ain't doing $#!t about it. They are in it as the "brown envelopes" are handed over every evening by the gangs that organise these beggars...

3 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

Nothing new. Happening all over Thailand for decades and the police ain't doing $#!t about it. They are in it as the "brown envelopes" are handed over every evening by the gangs that organise these beggars...

Its really sad that those children experience this kind of childhood. Its far from a thai phenomen - even today this happens daily xross europe. The abusers should be trown in jail and the children should be placed where they have the chance to be a child and get a hope for a decent future...

9 hours ago, KKr said:

so let's found TV child protection foundation.
many spotters on the Forum anyway !
and we can contribute to the Country that is hosting us !

Hot air is all the posters on here could muster...

Do something... to much effort involved.

22 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Its really sad that those children experience this kind of childhood. Its far from a thai phenomen - even today this happens daily xross europe. The abusers should be trown in jail and the children should be placed where they have the chance to be a child and get a hope for a decent future...

It is organized crime and many influential high end people are involved with this !!!

Tell you a story what happened in Soi 22 (BKK) in 2014. No names mentioned. A good Australian friend, married to a daughter of a police captain was having a bar in Soi 22. He refused entrance to several pre-teen girls selling flowers after midnight on his property. Later that evening he got some "Thai" visitors that shot him 4 times in his chest and once in his head, as they wanted to extort him about refusing entrance to those little girls. Thonglor Police was standing outside, heard the shots and drove off !!! He barely survived and returned to Australia. His wife told me that there were influential high end people involved. Police didn't do $#!t. Everything was recorded on CCTV !!!

He sold his bar when he was back in Australia. Regular visitors of Soi 22 in 2014/15 know exactly who I am talking about.

Edited by PAIBKK

4 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

It is organized crime and many influential high end people are involved with this !!!

Tell you a story what happened in Soi 22 (BKK) in 2014. No names mentioned. A good Australian friend, married to a daughter of a police captain was having a bar in Soi 22. He refused entrance to several pre-teen girls selling flowers after midnight on his property. Later that evening he got some Thai visitors that shot him 4 times in his chest and once in his head as they wanted to extort him about refusing entrance to those little girls. He barely survived and returned to Australia. His wife told me that there were influential high end people involved. Police didn't do $#!. He sold his bar when he was back in Australia. Regular visitors of Soi 22 in 2014/15 know exactly who I am talking about.

Yes, but With the operative abusers in jail I doubt that the influenial high end People goes out on the streets to organize it themselves...;)

3 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Yes, but With the operative abusers in jail I doubt that the influenial high end People goes out on the streets to organize it themselves...;)

It's Thailand !!! 

Slavery still exists here !!!

Edited by PAIBKK

Just now, PAIBKK said:

It's Thailand !!! 

Yes this is Thailand. but if we give up before we even have tried then we for sure will not achieve any improvements whatsoever... Since Thailand is far behind other developed countries - other countries which have found a proper solution to this issue then they could benefit from copy those solutions.

No need to reinvent the Wheel...;)

13 hours ago, topt said:

I don't understand why "a group" would allow one woman to hit one of them with a shoe and then give her 2k.........why? No security outside this pub?

13 hours ago, topt said:

I don't understand why "a group" would allow one woman to hit one of them with a shoe and then give her 2k.........why? No security outside this pub?

Easy, they were pussies..........I would have stood up and if she tried to hit me, I would have pushed her out of my way.   Then go straight to the Bar -  show them my phone dailed to 191. 

These people are not Thai, most are Burmese or Cambodian, last thing they want is trouble from the police.

3 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

Tell you a story what happened in Soi 22 (BKK) in 2014. No names mentioned. A good Australian friend, married to a daughter of a police captain was having a bar in Soi 22. He refused entrance to several pre-teen girls selling flowers after midnight on his property. Later that evening he got some "Thai" visitors that shot him 4 times in his chest and once in his head, as they wanted to extort him about refusing entrance to those little girls. Thonglor Police was standing outside, heard the shots and drove off !!! He barely survived and returned to Australia. His wife told me that there were influential high end people involved. Police didn't do $#!t. Everything was recorded on CCTV !!!

He sold his bar when he was back in Australia. Regular visitors of Soi 22 in 2014/15 know exactly who I am talking about.

I remember that, funny how everyone always thinks it was a Hiso's son that was thrown out of his bar that night, and his guys came back in retaliation.   Only Stickman knows for sure :post-4641-1156693976:

4 hours ago, ttrd said:

The News is that the children back in 1973 have completed their training and are now problably selling themselves....

You mean the  kids of those kids or the grand kids are now selling themselves, 44 year old hookers don't get customers anywhere I have been,

7 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yes  and  no. As  with  anything  there  is  always  the potential  for  a  criminally   contrived  outcome. Where  and when that  happens  is  often  due to  the  location. For  those  that  avoid blatant  sleaze  usually  avoid problems.

Sadly  the  attraction  for  those  of  poverty involved  in this  trade  to  commit  to extortion attempts  always  exists, whether that be  from  succumbing  to genuine  desperation  or   pure  and  simple  criminal  intent. Not  so  innocent  are the  "street wise" children  who  eventually  progress on  to  being  the  organizers of  the  new  generation. As  many  have  pointed  out this   is  not  exclusively a  Thailand  scenario.

Well written. Most pertinent point; For  those  that  avoid blatant  sleaze  usually  avoid problems.

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Still a problem .

They are nothing but an annoyance , I avoid the bars where these brats ply their trade .

They stand in the shadows , watching .

Say you were playing pool with a Thai lady from the bar , as soon as you would speak to her , the brats would be straight between you, shoving a bunch of flowers between your faces , even if you say no , they (or the old grandparents , more like) would just stand there next to you both , listening to the conversation .

So rude .

There was also a constant stream of kids and grandparents trying to sell you something , usually about every five minutes they would ask .

After seeming spending the best part of the night shaking my head and saying no to the brats , I decided to stop going to that bar

It is not just bars. Sit on the beach and you have overweight women offering a massage, guys trying to sell you a book, or somebody trying to sell you some gaudy trinket they want to pass of as souvenir. Sit in front of my house and any vendor that comes down the street, be it lottery ticket, food, steam cleaners etc. makes a beeline for you as soon as they see you. The ways these people try to make you part with your cash is endless. And all of these annoying walking vendors pay no tax.

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Isn't this just a case of poor Thai families using all their resources to eek out a living? Mum sells a bit of food, dad does a bit of taxi driving, kids do a bit of flower selling, etc. etc. The kids I see doing this always seem to be enjoying it, and making a few baht for the family at the same time.

Should we really be preaching to these families who live a life of genuine poverty?

Or am I being naïve?

To your last question. YES!!  At that time of night it's got very little to do with trying to help raise money for the family.

And I wonder about those who think the police would come to an incident like this.  The best you could do is tell the bar owner that you will not return because of the harrassment.  He/she just may be able to get rid of them.

Edited by AboutThaim

18 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

RCA?? what RCA? the Radio Corporation of Amerika? in Bangkok?

I'm sorry, I don't live in Bangkok, always those abbreviations, is it the laziness or too much trouble?

Lol! In full - Royal City Avenue - it is even more incomprehensible. Everybody calls it RCA.

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not meaning to be disparaging but I have been coming here since 2005 and lived here full time since 2011 and have no clue as to what RCA is, so perhaps you could enlighten us, not everyone lives in BKK you know. :mad:

You know MBK? Not meaning to be disparaging but you no know RCA, you too old :)

On 11/16/2017 at 4:08 PM, SymS said:

Once I was walking and a girl (maybe 10-12 years old) came to me asking for money, I said no, but I made the mistake of sitting somewhere and keep talking to her (like where are you parents, etc..). Finally, I had enough and I left,  and she start shouting "Are you crazy?" as I left with many people around (That was on a river side where people like to stroll), trying to imply I was some kind of pedophile.

That's why I avoid talking to kids. Just in case people think I am a pedo, yes, it is that bad nowadays. I used to like playing football with young kids now no more just tire of this pedo problem in this world at large.

If one of these kids wants money they could easily blackmail you that you had asked him for sex , that's easy isn't it? 

On 11/16/2017 at 6:17 AM, snooky said:

Not meaning to be disparaging, this is the ThaiVisa forum and it is assumed members know a bit about Thailand.  RCA is a very popular entertainment area for younger folks in Bangkok.  I would think most large cities in many countries have similar names for these types of areas.

I have been in and out of Thailand after returning to Thailand in 1988.  Lived here off and on for several months at a time since 2010.  Never heard of RCA.  But it appears wikipedia has a good explanation of what RCA is.  

I guess I hang out with the wrong Thai people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_City_Avenue

Royal City Avenue or RCA is one of Bangkok's largest entertainment and clubbing area. Located on in Huai Khwang district, RCA is a long street located between Rama IX Road and Phetchaburi Road. It contains a multitude of bars, nightclubs and live music venues. RCA, a government designated Entertainment Zone, is frequently visited by young people.

Edited by radiochaser

On 11/16/2017 at 10:23 AM, Peterphuket said:

RCA?? what RCA? the Radio Corporation of Amerika? in Bangkok?

I'm sorry, I don't live in Bangkok, always those abbreviations, is it the laziness or too much trouble?

On 11/16/2017 at 12:43 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Not meaning to be disparaging but I have been coming here since 2005 and lived here full time since 2011 and have no clue as to what RCA is, so perhaps you could enlighten us, not everyone lives in BKK you know. :mad:

On 11/16/2017 at 12:49 PM, Peterphuket said:

Thanks for your explanation.

I lives here for long time, comes to BKK only for Pantip plaza.

I think it is not strange I don't know RCA in Thailand, being a technician, from long time ago, I know RCA only from the USA.

http://www.usethefuckinggoogle.com/?q=rca+bangkok