Britain preparing to transfer 400 million pounds to Iran - Telegraph newspaper

webfact

It just wears me out (& I am sure everyone else ) trying to explaining to you sanemax.

1/ why didn't the UK give them there money back....

It wouldn't be because the UNSC under a request from the USA imposed world sanctions on Iran ..would it...by any chance.

Why are they giving the money back now....

It wouldn't be because the Americans have singled the sanctions are over by paying them back the money they owed under exactly the same circumstances

Would it by any chance..............

After hanging onto it for 40 years--they wouldn't be paying it back if the Americans hadn't paid it back---I really do not know how much clearer that can be for you.

Just now, sanuk711 said:

It just wears me out (& I am sure everyone else ) trying to explaining to you sanemax.

1/ why didn't the UK give them there money back....

It wouldn't be because the UNSC under a request from the USA imposed world sanctions on Iran ..would it...by any chance.

The order for the tanks was placed by the Shah or Iran and he was a UK Allie , the UK and the Shah were "friends" , then came the Iranian revolution and Ayatollah Khomeini took over, disposing of the Shah .

Khomeini was hostile to the UK and thus the tanks were not delivered , due to the embargo and the embargo was due to the Iranian revolution .

It really is irrelevant about how the embargo and sanctions came about, in relation to which Country suggested those embargoes 

11 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

After hanging onto it for 40 years--they wouldn't be paying it back if the Americans hadn't paid it back

Here is straight from the UK government it's position on the matter:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/16/uk-hopes-to-end-long-legal-dispute-with-iran-over-1976-arms-deal

Has no link to US dealings with Iran.

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

It wouldn't be because the Americans have singled the sanctions are over by paying them back the money they owed under exactly the same circumstances

After hanging onto it for 40 years--they wouldn't be paying it back if the Americans hadn't paid it back---I really do not know how much clearer that can be for you.

There is a UK Woman being held in jail in Iran , and a UK  Gov minister dropped her in it by saying that she was there to reach journalism , which could carry a 20 year jail term for her .

A UK Gov minister suggested that if the UK and Iran sort this issue out about the money owed , then may Iran could be lenient with her sentance

18 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

It could well be related , who knows what is happening behind the scenes .

This could be a thaw in the frosty relationship between Iran and the West

23 hours ago, Happy enough said:

so if i am set up out here by some corrupt bib or army on false charges and am sent down for a few years they are gonna pay the thais a couple of hundred million to get me out? sweet, good to know

Only if your loved ones can get Balmy Boris to make a stupid incorrect remark and then get the media to milk it for what it's worth.

Then they might.

20 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Surely they will spend the money on their nuclear programme that is in the news at the moment. America wants to stop it and the dumb British government want to give them money to help make it happen.  Unbelievable !!

Surely how? This doesn't change the terms of the JCPOA (aka the Iran nuclear deal).

20 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Surely they will spend the money on their nuclear programme that is in the news at the moment. America wants to stop it and the dumb British government want to give them money to help make it happen.  Unbelievable !!

Are you Donald Trump?

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its a difficult one , Iran signed the contract , but arms embargoes mean the UK can not deliver .

Although, the UK should sell the tanks to Israel and give Iran the money back

Its irrelevant- the tanks were 1970s builds and way obsolete now, the Shir was an early development of what evolved into Challenger 1, itself obsolete. IIRC they went to Jordan instead. They can't be delivered.

The return of the money and other frozen assets is based around the agreeements made last year that Trump is trying desperately to break away from at the behest of his chum Netan -Yahoo.

For those Yanks lambasting the Brits over giving money to Iran do they not recall a certain Ollie North and Iran-Contra (strangely enough again involving Israel- anyone notice a pattern here?>)?

Also the hostage release following the disastrous Desert One debacle was delayed until after Reagan's inauguration for political purposes- the Carter regime had already negotiated their release. The hostages were released the day Carter's term as President ended.

12 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Its irrelevant- the tanks were 1970s builds and way obsolete now, the Shir was an early development of what evolved into Challenger 1, itself obsolete. IIRC they went to Jordan instead. They can't be delivered.

The return of the money and other frozen assets is based around the agreeements made last year that Trump is trying desperately to break away from at the behest of his chum Netan -Yahoo.

Well, yeah, I didnt mean the exact tanks . make some kind of deal, give them the updated tanks at a reduced price or something .

Also, this situation is nothing to do with the USA, whatever agreements the USA Gov made with Iran, doesnt not affect the UK , the US Gov has no authority to make agreements with Iran on behalf of the UK

On 11/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, jaiyen said:

When you pay money, you can't dictate how you want it spent. 

When I paid child-support for many years,  my ex-wife was going out an buying pot and scientology books.  I didn't have a say in how she was spending the stuff.

13 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

When I paid child-support for many years,  my ex-wife was going out an buying pot and scientology books.  I didn't have a say in how she was spending the stuff.

Thanks for that Bommer , now we know how your ex spent her child support money , I had always wondered

14 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

That is not entirely correct, you seem to be extrapolating from personal experience, which isn't quite the same as how such things go between countries. There can be various conditions and constraints laid as to what funds will be used for. Whether or not these could be monitored and/or enforced is another matter.

On 16/11/2017 at 8:58 PM, phantomfiddler said:

What a joke. The biggest bunch of ratbags on the planet, and in my opinion more of a threat than North Korea :( Brits should be barred from going to this ****hole of a country !

She was was actually Born there...so she knew what she was going back to.....