Thai Embassy Phnom Penh, how is it?

Regarding tourist visas, I haven't had one in some years and have never been to the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, has anyone had difficulties getting one? How strict are they regarding showing flight tickets and proof of funds. I can show funds but haven't bought an onwards ticket yet. Again, its my first time to that embassy and first tourist visa in a few years.

Many thanks for any input and contributions. 

The last news I had from my agent there a few months ago was:

1. $1K USD or more per bank-statement
  2. Proof of flight highly recommended (may be required always now)
  3. No more expedited service - so 3 to 4 days from submission to receipt of the visa

I'd also include proof of where you will be staying (I always used my condo-lease) or an online hotel booking; the latter is free, and can only help.

But Beware - if you have many other Tourist Visas in your passport, you could get a "red stamp" there.  I got one on my 2nd from them, which was only the 4th SETV in my passport.

I would not recommend Phnom Penh as a place to go for a Thai tourist visa, unless you are visiting the country for other reasons. Vientiane, Savannakhet, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, and (more expensive but nicest of the lot) Hong Kong are all preferable.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I overstayed, went to Phnom Penh for new visa. While I was at hotel I read many local posts complaining of corruption at thai consulate there. They claimed the consular ppl would deny visas for any excuse then you could pay $50 to guard and get visa next day. I did not care to learn for myself. Chose to use a first time entry visa and the nice immigration person noted I already had a 2 entry visa issued by Thai consulate in Hollywood. So no, I don't actually have actual first hand experience, I relied on the numerous bad comments read on line. 

23 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The last news I had from my agent there a few months ago was:

1. $1K USD or more per bank-statement
  2. Proof of flight highly recommended (may be required always now)
  3. No more expedited service - so 3 to 4 days from submission to receipt of the visa

I'd also include proof of where you will be staying (I always used my condo-lease) or an online hotel booking; the latter is free, and can only help.

But Beware - if you have many other Tourist Visas in your passport, you could get a "red stamp" there.  I got one on my 2nd from them, which was only the 4th SETV in my passport.

Around 1.5 years ago I went to Phnom Penh on a holiday with some family and friends. Helped a friend get a Thai visa there - we applied through an agent, he got it the next day after application. The 3-4 day normal turn-around time is what the embassy has been doing for years, though many agents have been able to get visas as quickly as the following day. Proof of outbound flight was requested (not a big deal as the friend in question always has one, just that this time he wanted to stay longer in Thailand than normally).

No need for proof of accommodation or bank statement.

This was through Lucky! Lucky!

If things have tightened up, this is unfortunate, but as I can recall, not all agents are identical.

26 minutes ago, jimster said:

Around 1.5 years ago I went to Phnom Penh on a holiday with some family and friends. Helped a friend get a Thai visa there - we applied through an agent, he got it the next day after application. The 3-4 day normal turn-around time is what the embassy has been doing for years, though many agents have been able to get visas as quickly as the following day. Proof of outbound flight was requested (not a big deal as the friend in question always has one, just that this time he wanted to stay longer in Thailand than normally).

No need for proof of accommodation or bank statement.

This was through Lucky! Lucky!

If things have tightened up, this is unfortunate, but as I can recall, not all agents are identical.

My last info was from Lucky-Lucky - said (a few months ago) that they could no longer get next-day or 2-day service.  $1K USD is a must (bank-statement).  Air-Ticket may also be requested by the consul, so is recommended.  I recommend supplying the accommodation-info just because one already has it (condo-lease, etc) or can get it free via booking-dot-com or similar.

I'm not sure if the loss of fast-service is particular to Lucky-Lucky, and/or is still the case, and/or affects some/all other agents.  The last report I read was someone who got an SETV from Siam Reap via an agent using a courier - took 6 days - but could be due to the distance factor or the particular agent used.

I usually stayed out a week when obtaining a new visa, anyway, so the primary downside, from my perspective, was getting a red-stamp on my 4th SETV from Phnom Penh, when only 1 other SETV in my passport was from Phnom Penh.   Therefore, I would move this consulate up to a higher position in Consulate-order when one has a new passport - maybe the 1st or 2nd location, before moving on to friendlier ones.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

My last info was from Lucky-Lucky - said (a few months ago) that they could no longer get next-day or 2-day service.  $1K USD is a must (bank-statement).  Air-Ticket may also be requested by the consul, so is recommended.  I recommend supplying the accommodation-info just because one already has it (condo-lease, etc) or can get it free via booking-dot-com or similar.

I'm not sure if the loss of fast-service is particular to Lucky-Lucky, and/or is still the case, and/or affects some/all other agents.  The last report I read was someone who got an SETV from Siam Reap via an agent using a courier - took 6 days - but could be due to the distance factor or the particular agent used.

I usually stayed out a week when obtaining a new visa, anyway, so the primary downside, from my perspective, was getting a red-stamp on my 4th SETV from Phnom Penh, when only 1 other SETV in my passport was from Phnom Penh.   Therefore, I would move this consulate up to a higher position in Consulate-order when one has a new passport - maybe the 1st or 2nd location, before moving on to friendlier ones.

OK, good to know.

Things certainly have changed in Phnom Penh since the beginning of the year, when I last applied there for TV, and absolutely nothing was required when going through an agency.

Not only the embassy in PP but others as well often do the 3 TV total count in your passport and you get the red stamp. I once got the red one on my first TV in Vientiane, with 2 prior once from other consulates.On the other hand I have had 5 in a row from PP with no warning.

There are no hard-and-fast rules, and whatever procedures there are , they keep changing all the time anyway.

This is Thailand, the land where logic and consistency are in short supply.

• 4 months later...

Any current experience for Phnom Pehn?

I have been reading this thread, people mention it takes 3-4 days to get an SETV in Phnom Penh. 

However, the website of the Thai Embassy clearly states 2 working days after submission ( i.e. apply on Monday morning and pick up on Wednesday afternoon)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86336-Tourist-Visa.html

Has anything changed or is 3-4 days an exagerration by agents that would claim they can do it in 2 days, which is basically what I can do as well if i walk in?

Any updates appreciated, contemplating on this place.

Fresh passport, so far only one SETV from home country extended.

Edited by lkv