Phuket Poll: Patong Beach smoking ban wins support, but not heavy-handed penalties

webfact

Phuket Poll: Patong Beach smoking ban wins support, but not heavy-handed penalties

The Phuket News

1511150732_1-org.jpg

A DMCR official walks towards tourists on Patong Beach to explain the smoking ban. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: The ban smoking at Patong Beach has gained a majority of support in an online poll by The Phuket News, though only a clear minority support the ban in its current heavy-handed form.

The ban by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) technically came into effect on Nov 1.

However, instead of instantly enforcing the heavy penalties – a fine of up to B100,000, or even up to one year in jail – DMCR officials opted to launch a 90-day “grace period” while they roll out a public awareness campaign.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-patong-beach-smoking-ban-wins-support-but-not-heavy-handed-penalties-64774.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-20

Even though I am a smoker, I do not disagree with a smoking ban on the beaches, but I agree with many of the respondents in the poll, that the penalties of up to 100,000 Baht fine and/or a year in jail are totally disproportionate to the offence.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Even though I am a smoker, I do not disagree with a smoking ban on the beaches, but I agree with many of the respondents in the poll, that the penalties of up to 100,000 Baht fine and/or a year in jail are totally disproportionate to the offence.

They are ridiculous, and in turn make it more difficult for the enforcer to do their job. If I am the enforcer, and I see someone smoking, and I know the fine is 2,000 baht, I would have no problem handing it out. But if I know that I am handing someone a 100,000 baht fine, or worse, jail time, then I really would be reluctant to do my job.

1 minute ago, timendres said:

They are ridiculous, and in turn make it more difficult for the enforcer to do their job. If I am the enforcer, and I see someone smoking, and I know the fine is 2,000 baht, I would have no problem handing it out. But if I know that I am handing someone a 100,000 baht fine, or worse, jail time, then I really would be reluctant to do my job.

But that is because you have principles. Here, if the fine issuer is getting a percentage, I can see them actually being over zealous in the matter. I agree the whole thing is ridiculous though.

The initiative should be against littering in general and not just on the beach, anyone caught littering anywhere should be fined, most of the garbage that washes up on the beach comes from the city washed out to sea by heavy rains

Stopping people smoking on the beach solves absolutely nothing and contributes absolutely nothing towards Thailand's massive litter and garbage problem

23 hours ago, smedly said:

The initiative should be against littering in general and not just on the beach, anyone caught littering anywhere should be fined, most of the garbage that washes up on the beach comes from the city washed out to sea by heavy rains

Stopping people smoking on the beach solves absolutely nothing and contributes absolutely nothing towards Thailand's massive litter and garbage problem

Surely smoking roll-ups and use a roach clip does not litter at all, apart from the ash. 

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out it's just one more way of extracting money from tourists?  money in the pocket, no receipts provided!!  next time you're at the beach do a rough head count of how many thais are on the beach and then do a rough head count of foreigners on the beach... nuff said!!

Brilliant. Better that “smokers” will choose
other countries to spend their holiday. I don’t want them here. There will be less butts in the sand. People will be able to enjoy the beach without the odor of inconsiderate ignorant smelly people and their stinking wafting tobacco smoke. As knowledge of Thailands smoke free beaches spread the “smokers” will be replaced with a higher class of tourist as in all advanced countries Smoking is associated with low income and education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Brilliant. Better that “smokers” will choose
other countries to spend their holiday. I don’t want them here. There will be less butts in the sand. People will be able to enjoy the beach without the odor of inconsiderate ignorant smelly people and their stinking wafting tobacco smoke. As knowledge of Thailands smoke free beaches spread the “smokers” will be replaced with a higher class of tourist as in all advanced countries Smoking is associated with low income and education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you drive a vehicle ? have you ever owned a vehicle  ? if you do or have you will have pushed out more stinking deadly fumes in one day than 1000 smokers will do in a lifetime

go and breath in buddy and don't forget to breath out 

Again with the argumentative diversion. I could not give a fig about odorless automobile exhausts (All I care about is the dirty rotters driving down the street with the arm out the side window holding a lit cigarette ruining my daily 5km run).

I think their arms should be cut off with a machete.

So if the wonderful tobacco smoke and ash is so good why don’t they keep it inside the car with the window closed? The answer, none. Because it stinks and they know it.