Seventeen injured - three seriously - as Pajero slams into school van in Krabi

webfact

Seventeen injured - three seriously - as Pajero slams into school van in Krabi

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Two students and a school van driver are in a serious condition in Krabi Hospital after a Pajero hit the parked van taking students home.

The car driver told police that a student ran in front of him causing him to swerve, lose control and hit the van on the right side.

The Pajero then hit a large roadside tree.

A total of seventeen people - mostly students aged 8-17 - were hurt. Two were in a serious condition - they were named as Wiphawadee Ninthat, 11, and Somchai Kaewjansorn. The driver of the school van Somboon Ramphrom, 61, was also seriously hurt.

The accident happened on the Khao Tor to Phanom Road in Plai Praya district around 5.30pm yesterday.

The driver of the white Pajero, Apichart In-Tham, 38, said that he was on his way with his wife from Surat to Phuket. He claimed a child ran in front of his vehicle causing him to lose control.

No charges have yet been made and police investigations continue.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-21

57 minutes ago, CLW said:

The news text doesn't give information but usually one should slow down if approaching school children zone or see some children beside the road.

Should... should slow down. Of course !   I could give you another 100 points of what they should. Makes me angry to read this kind of news every day and nobody seems to care.

Thais always seem to be in such a hurry when they are in or on a vehicle.

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Now doubt the kids were sitting, illegally, in the back of the pick-up....

What are you on about? There was no pickup involved.
A Pajero SUV with Apichart In-Tham and his wife on board struck a SCHOOL VAN, the usual counterpart of a school bus here.
I am suspicious of the claim that a child ran in front of him. One of my many part time jobs over the years was as a school bus driver.  I consequently take note of how careless Thai drivers are about school vehicles.
They are not alone! I have radioed the cops about SHs in the US whose convenience is more important than kids lives. but here it is a magnitude worse.

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I may be showing my cultural ignorance here, but why is every other Thai called Somchai?

"Somchai is a Thai given name used by males. It is the most common male given name in Thailand, with 240,000 persons using the name in 2012."
From a Google search, because your query aroused  my curiosity as well.
The most common Anglo given name in the US these days is James.
Gotta be someone, right?

"A total of seventeen people - mostly students aged 8-17 - were hurt. Two were in a serious condition - they were named as Wiphawadee Ninthat, 11, and Somchai Kaewjansorn. The driver of the school van Somboon Ramphrom, 61, was also seriously hurt.

No charges have yet been made and police investigations continue."

Guess that the "ROYAL" taeng moo are waiting for the brown envelopes before investigating?
No need to check if the driver was drunk or high on drugs.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:02 AM, Bill Miller said:

What are you on about? There was no pickup involved.
A Pajero SUV with Apichart In-Tham and his wife on board struck a SCHOOL VAN, the usual counterpart of a school bus here.
I am suspicious of the claim that a child ran in front of him. One of my many part time jobs over the years was as a school bus driver.  I consequently take note of how careless Thai drivers are about school vehicles.
They are not alone! I have radioed the cops about SHs in the US whose convenience is more important than kids lives. but here it is a magnitude worse.

Did you see the video from Norway, when the kid ran in front of a truck. Luckily the truck driver stopped. Problem here is not just the drivers but kids who have never been taught to cross a road safely by themselves. 

On 22/11/2017 at 2:34 AM, BangkokReady said:

I may be showing my cultural ignorance here, but why is every other Thai called Somchai?

It is a Thai first name meaning 'Real Man'!  It is the most common male given name in Thailand, with 240,000 persons using the name in 2012.

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Did you see the video from Norway, when the kid ran in front of a truck. Luckily the truck driver stopped. Problem here is not just the drivers but kids who have never been taught to cross a road safely by themselves. 

Yes. Adults regularly step out into traffic without a glance.
I sometimes wonder if they are hoping to be hit so they can get a large financial settlement?

On 11/23/2017 at 10:36 AM, Prairieboy said:

It is a Thai first name meaning 'Real Man'!  It is the most common male given name in Thailand, with 240,000 persons using the name in 2012.

240,000 out of 70 million (35 million of them men) ain't that popular is it? So not so many Real Men in Thailand. We have more John Smiths in UK than that. And Joe Doe in USA?

• 2 weeks later...

SUV drivers and minivan drivers both have an aweful reputation when it comes to driving skill ability (or the lack thereof). This story is probably a case of moron meets idiot on the road as I won't believe the crock of steaming brown stuff that was told to police about what happened..

Archived