U.S. judge in California blocks Trump's order on sanctuary cities

webfact

U.S. judge in California blocks Trump's order on sanctuary cities

By Jon Herskovitz

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera and Mayor Ed Lee announce they have filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump for his unconstitutional executive order targeting sanctuary cities during a news conference at city hall in San Francisco, California, U.S., January 31, 2017. REUTERS/Kate Munsch/File Photo

(Reuters) - A federal court judge in California on Monday blocked an executive order from President Donald Trump to deny some federal grants to so-called sanctuary cities, undermining the administration's crackdown on illegal immigration.

The judge, who blocked the order provisionally in April, issued a permanent injunction in the suit brought by the city and county of San Francisco and Santa Clara County, which said the order was unconstitutional.

"The Counties have demonstrated that the Executive Order has caused and will cause them constitutional injuries by violating the separation of powers doctrine and depriving them of their Tenth and Fifth Amendment rights," U.S. District Judge William Orrick for the Northern District of California wrote in his order.

Trump issued the order in January, shortly after he was inaugurated, slashing funding to jurisdictions that refuse to comply with a statute that requires local governments to share information with U.S. immigration authorities.

As part of that policy, the Justice Department has sought to punish cities and other local jurisdictions that have joined a growing "sanctuary" movement aimed at shielding illegal immigrants from stepped-up deportation efforts.

"The district court exceeded its authority today when it barred the president from instructing his cabinet members to enforce existing law," Department of Justice spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement. "The Justice Department will vindicate the president’s lawful authority to direct the executive branch."

The department has already appealed the judge's prior ruling from April.

The Trump administration contends local authorities endanger public safety when they decline to hand over for deportation illegal immigrants arrested for crimes.

Dozens of local governments and cities, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, have joined the growing "sanctuary" movement.

Supporters of the sanctuary policy argue enlisting police cooperation in rounding up immigrants for removal undermines communities' trust in local police, particularly among Latinos.

The Justice Department is concerned about localities' compliance with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement requests to detain people up to 48 hours beyond their scheduled release time so that immigration officials can pick them up.

Some cities say they will only honor such requests when accompanied by criminal warrants, and that compliance is voluntary and not required under the statute.

Chicago also sued the federal government in August over the threats of funding cuts by the Justice Department. A federal judge sided with the city in September and issued a preliminary injunction barring the U.S. government from denying the public-safety grants.

(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz and Alex Dobuzinskis,; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-21

The irredeemable Russian collaborator does not abide by rule of law - b/c in his mind he is above the law. He has been tarnishing the U.S. Constitution from the day he swore not to. But his enabler clan of power mongers don't care.... but I suspect they will. 

dictator mold.jpg

Trump thought, when he got the top position, that he could do whatever he wanted.  He can do a lot, granted, like fire hundreds of federal judges, many of whom would oversee court cases dealing with Trump properties.  Then, of course,  he can assign judges who are determined to be friendly to (and lavish praise upon) Trump.

Trump said recently he would "love nothing more......" than to be able to control the justice dept.  Session would love that also, as both men are anti-justice, when it comes to 'the will of the majority of Americans.'   To them, justice is narrowly defined as a means to gain more power and money for themselves.   .....and Sessions want to outlaw pot.  What a bunch of losers.

56 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

The irredeemable Russian collaborator does not abide by rule of law - b/c in his mind he is above the law. He has been tarnishing the U.S. Constitution from the day he swore not to. But his enabler clan of power mongers don't care.... but I suspect they will. 

dictator mold.jpg

It's surprising how quickly those who get elected on platforms of law and order; returning power to the people; and anti-corruption or "draining the swamp" suddenly become above the law themselves, along with their chosen ones.

Seems to be a phenomenon to be wary of in democracies, no matter how mature, that many elected leaders seem to think that being elected means they can do as they please, and that they make the law for others but no themselves.

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

dictator mold.jpg

And in other news - how to spot a retard....

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Trump thought, when he got the top position, that he could do whatever he wanted.  He can do a lot, granted, like fire hundreds of federal judges,

Are you sure Trump fired federal judges or did you mistype and meant US Attorneys (federal prosecutors)?  I think that under Art. III of the US Constitution that such judges can serve for life unless they are removed for bad behavior (e.g., impeachment).  I think that there are some federal judges (bankruptcy, etc?) that are outside the scope of Art. III and serve ten year terms or something like that.

Oh yeah, I do recall that Trump fired some US Attorneys that could affect Trump's business interests, e.g., Preet Bharara in US So. Dist. of NY.

Otherwise, I love what you what have to say and enjoy many of your posts!  Keep up the good work!

Edited by helpisgood
added a paragraph

If you look at where all the Trump investments are, they’re all in welcoming cities (also known as sanctuary cities). Immigrants bring dynamism, dynamism brings investments, which attracts jobs which attracts more immigrants, who bring more dynamism and the cycle repeats.

The problem with Trump’s order is that it turns every government employee dealing with the public into an immigration enforcement officer. The predictable outcome of giving more people more power over other people is that some of them will abuse that power. It makes people who look and sound like immigrants more wary of dealing with officialdom at all levels. It makes immigrants’ already hard lives harder.

There are far, far, far more legal immigrants than there are illegal ones. For every illegal these policies could catch, thousands of legal Americans have to live in a constant state of feeling harassed and having to prove their American-ness on a constant basis. This is no way to treat fellow citizens.

At the other end, government employees, teachers, hospital workers, firemen, etc become enforcers and informants. This isn’t how a democracy works; it’s how a police state works.

How American politics have gone haywired.

Republicans were champions of state rights, that application of federalism should be very limited. Largely the reverse by Democrats.

Now just the reverse under the Trump Republican administration.

And guess who the latest pro-state rights judge that recently joined the US Supreme Court?

Neil Gorsuch nominated by Trump. Be interesting to see how he views this Presidential Order.

Trump can pull federal funding. The illegal Mexican that shot and killed a girl is in court for shooting her.

Pull the federal funding.

Yes California has one of the largest economies in the world ranked at #6 yet they are in debt 1.3 trillion dollars so pulling funding will hurt.

Illegals do not put in to the system they do not care about the country  they just get free Healthcare, education, emergency service and welfare. Stop the funding 

43 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

If you look at where all the Trump investments are, they’re all in welcoming cities (also known as sanctuary cities). Immigrants bring dynamism, dynamism brings investments, which attracts jobs which attracts more immigrants, who bring more dynamism and the cycle repeats.

The problem with Trump’s order is that it turns every government employee dealing with the public into an immigration enforcement officer. The predictable outcome of giving more people more power over other people is that some of them will abuse that power. It makes people who look and sound like immigrants more wary of dealing with officialdom at all levels. It makes immigrants’ already hard lives harder.

There are far, far, far more legal immigrants than there are illegal ones. For every illegal these policies could catch, thousands of legal Americans have to live in a constant state of feeling harassed and having to prove their American-ness on a constant basis. This is no way to treat fellow citizens.

At the other end, government employees, teachers, hospital workers, firemen, etc become enforcers and informants. This isn’t how a democracy works; it’s how a police state works.

There were 259,107 border apprehensions in the southwest U.S. during the first 10 months of fiscal 2017.

1. More Than 2,000 Sex Offenders Deported By ICE Every Year In Texas Alone

36 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

There were 259,107 border apprehensions in the southwest U.S. during the first 10 months of fiscal 2017.

1. More Than 2,000 Sex Offenders Deported By ICE Every Year In Texas Alone

So they’re doing their job. Just don’t ask everyone else to *also* do ICE’s job as well.

2 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

I'm not sure if that number was meant to impress me or what. Context is important, so I dug up your cite - that you didn't cite - and it says that apprehensions are an all time low since their peak at nearly two million in the Obama years.  Thanks, Obama!  It also says that many of those were not trying to sneak in, but were presenting themselves to border agents and asking for asylum.  Some of those 259,107 were the same person making multiple attempts.

apprehensions.png.616b4bbae5ee9e7aab312efa1f3e6e61.png

What does border apprehensions have to do with sanctuary cities anyway?

"In the United States a sanctuary city  is a city that limits its cooperation with the national government effort to enforce immigration law. Leaders of sanctuary cities want to reduce the fear of deportation and possible family break-up among people who are in the country illegally so that such people will be more willing to report crimes, use health and social services, and enroll their children in school. Municipal policies include prohibiting police or city employees from questioning people about their immigration status and refusing requests by federal immigration authorities to detain people beyond their release date, if they were jailed for breaking local law".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

In Los Angeles County, home to the largest concentration of immigrants in the state, the foreign-born population contributed $232.9 billion, or 35.7 percent, of the total GDP in 2014, according to a report released by L.A. city officials this week.

“Immigration begets immigration,” said UC Riverside political scientist Francisco Pedraza.

“This is a corroboration of the argument that where you have lots of immigrants, undocumented or otherwise, it’s a sign of strong economic health.”

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/02/09/more-undocumented-immigrants-live-in-southern-california-than-anywhere-else-in-us/

"California’s Total State and Local Debt Totals $1.3 Trillion"

http://californiapolicycenter.org/californias-total-state-local-debt-totals-1-3-trillion/

$1.3 Trillion debt sure isn't a sign of strong economic health. Take away those financial undocumented burden's  that are also contributing to the state debt. The description for Sanctuary Cities tells it all. If your in another country illegally your committing a crime and you shouldn't be there.

Edited by riclag

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

I'm not sure if that number was meant to impress me or what. Context is important, so I dug up your cite - that you didn't cite - and it says that apprehensions are an all time low since their peak at nearly two million in the Obama years.  Thanks, Obama!  It also says that many of those were not trying to sneak in, but were presenting themselves to border agents and asking for asylum.  Some of those 259,107 were the same person making multiple attempts.

apprehensions.png.616b4bbae5ee9e7aab312efa1f3e6e61.png

What does border apprehensions have to do with sanctuary cities anyway?

Yes they number dropped because less are coming for fear of deportation    look that up

9 hours ago, Thakkar said:

So they’re doing their job. Just don’t ask everyone else to *also* do ICE’s job as well.

sir,  if you were being raped , would you prefer a bystander intervene and save your *ss or would you prefer to endure the assault until the police arrived? 

If a child was being molested in the apartment next to yours would you still look the other way until child protection arrived?

Or do you feel that suffering from Genovese Syndrom should entitle you to a disabilty parking space for your Scoopy?

16 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Trump thought, when he got the top position, that he could do whatever he wanted.  He can do a lot, granted, like fire hundreds of federal judges, many of whom would oversee court cases dealing with Trump properties.  Then, of course,  he can assign judges who are determined to be friendly to (and lavish praise upon) Trump.

Trump said recently he would "love nothing more......" than to be able to control the justice dept.  Session would love that also, as both men are anti-justice, when it comes to 'the will of the majority of Americans.'   To them, justice is narrowly defined as a means to gain more power and money for themselves.   .....and Sessions want to outlaw pot.  What a bunch of losers.

What rubbish.

U.S. District Judge William Orrick :   Obama appointee, June 2012.     <yawn>   Just another case for the woodshed when it gets to the Supreme Court.

3 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

sir,  if you were being raped , would you prefer a bystander intervene and save your *ss or would you prefer to endure the assault until the police arrived? 

If a child was being molested in the apartment next to yours would you still look the other way until child protection arrived?

Or do you feel that suffering from Genovese Syndrom should entitle you to a disabilty parking space for your Scoopy?

Sir,

if you were a legal resident of the US, would you, and all your kind, be willing to walk around with an official badge pinned to your shirt because that would be simpler than taking out your papers every 20 minutes to show to every official-looking person that asked?

1 hour ago, Thakkar said:

Sir,

if you were a legal resident of the US, would you, and all your kind, be willing to walk around with an official badge pinned to your shirt because that would be simpler than taking out your papers every 20 minutes to show to every official-looking person that asked?

Good analogy,  maybe a yellow star sown to my clothes or a pink triangle?   Oddly I have lived in America with a green card.  I was not asked every twenty minutes for identification.  If I am asked for identification in Thailand or in my native country I will gladly comply. 

Now that I answered your question, please answer the one I asked two posts ago. 

How long would you like to be raped before a passerby helped you escape the assault?

49 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Good analogy,  maybe a yellow star sown to my clothes or a pink triangle?   Oddly I have lived in America with a green card.  I was not asked every twenty minutes for identification.  If I am asked for identification in Thailand or in my native country I will gladly comply. 

Now that I answered your question, please answer the one I asked two posts ago. 

How long would you like to be raped before a passerby helped you escape the assault?

Walking down the street minding your own business or going to the emergency room are not equivalent to committing a crime.

5 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Walking down the street minding your own business or going to the emergency room are not equivalent to committing a crime.

No walking down the street minding your own business, being shot, stabbed assaulted, raped, murdered or robbed by an illegal alien results in going to the emergency ward.

I figured you wouldn t want help.  555

51 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

No walking down the street minding your own business, being shot, stabbed assaulted, raped, murdered or robbed by an illegal alien results in going to the emergency ward.

I figured you wouldn t want help.  555

Illegal alien = rapist. Got it.

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

A story about some who have changed their mind, and others who are still determined to cross.  The fact that some have changed their minds just means Trump isn't doing anything to MAG.

13 hours ago, riclag said:

"In the United States a sanctuary city  is a city that limits its cooperation with the national government effort to enforce immigration law. Leaders of sanctuary cities want to reduce the fear of deportation and possible family break-up among people who are in the country illegally so that such people will be more willing to report crimes, use health and social services, and enroll their children in school. Municipal policies include prohibiting police or city employees from questioning people about their immigration status and refusing requests by federal immigration authorities to detain people beyond their release date, if they were jailed for breaking local law".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

In Los Angeles County, home to the largest concentration of immigrants in the state, the foreign-born population contributed $232.9 billion, or 35.7 percent, of the total GDP in 2014, according to a report released by L.A. city officials this week.

“Immigration begets immigration,” said UC Riverside political scientist Francisco Pedraza.

“This is a corroboration of the argument that where you have lots of immigrants, undocumented or otherwise, it’s a sign of strong economic health.”

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/02/09/more-undocumented-immigrants-live-in-southern-california-than-anywhere-else-in-us/

"California’s Total State and Local Debt Totals $1.3 Trillion"

http://californiapolicycenter.org/californias-total-state-local-debt-totals-1-3-trillion/

$1.3 Trillion debt sure isn't a sign of strong economic health. Take away those financial undocumented burden's  that are also contributing to the state debt. The description for Sanctuary Cities tells it all. If your in another country illegally your committing a crime and you shouldn't be there.

So, what's your point? 

In your last paragraph, you mention "contributing to the state debt."  How much of a contribution?  More than half?  Less than 1%?  That sounds like weasel words to me. 

And yet, you bother to quote in that Wikipedia article that local govt. likes sanctuary cities because they reduce the crime rate.  So, does that also "contribute" to the state's debt?

The very last sentence is the only part that makes sense; thus, should be the entire post.