"Being a coal miner is more honest than a digital nomad"

BuddyDean

Found this on youtube.  IMO, very accurate and truthful.  It also covers a lot of the vegan issues, here, as he is one himself.  He is a bit OTT if you watch the other vids, but this is spot on.  Apparently, he is in a continuing drama with some of the vegan visa runners in CM.  The names will sound familiar.

I saw one of these "Successful Digital Nomads/Video Editor/Ebay Store Owner/Online Entrepreneur enjoying a discounted 25 Baht rice and egg meal at Tops.  It looked like her Chiang Mai experience was going really well.  I agree with the message of the video:  It is like a Ponzi scheme.  It all started several years ago with a guy named "JohnnyFD".  This guy published a book "The 4 Hour Workweek" and he posted youtube videos of where he claimed he was living an affluent lifestyle in CNX while conducting Online Businesses/Work.  He  also held seminars in CNX and promoted"Co-Working" spaces.  Co-Working spaces(where you can pay for internet or just buy a cup of coffee to get internet) have sprung up all over CNX.  One of the biggest is Camp at Maya.  Just like any quick-get rich scheme, many have followed and many have left with little to show for their Digital Nomad experience.  The typical profile of an alleged Digital Nomad is someone from a Western country,  young(20's or 30's), and usually carries a laptop and can be seen talking into a cellphone or a camera.  The last part is where they "Vlog", post on youtube and hope for adsense money from google. 

When my wife owned an apartment in Santitham some years ago we had our share of 20-30 year old 'digital nomad' types 'living the dream' that always struggled with income. They were always late with rent, borrowing money off other people stupid enough to give to them, working low paid ESL jobs and generally living a pretty ordinary existence. All, bar none, ended up going back to farangland after the illusion wore off. They come to Thailand with a dream and leave when it becomes a nightmare.  

People have been running off to 'join the circus,' or 'off to sea' since time began. And just as often, running home with tail between legs when they don't find El Dorado.

" Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. "   'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville.'

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...   unless... unless you start to wonder why this guy has such a stick up his a$$ about someone trying to live this lifestyle?

Just got to four minutes of the video and he claims that an Eastern European woman said that She was a Chef ans he then goes on to say that She "could" have a youtube channel and make money from pretending to be a Chef . He then goes on to accuse her of being a fake chef and conning people .

There is no evidence that she does actually have a you tube page or that she is conning anyone.

She may be a landlord and also work as a chef .

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just got to four minutes of the video and he claims that an Eastern European woman said that She was a Chef ans he then goes on to say that She "could" have a youtube channel and make money from pretending to be a Chef . He then goes on to accuse her of being a fake chef and conning people .

There is no evidence that she does actually have a you tube page or that she is conning anyone.

She may be a landlord and also work as a chef .

His objection is that she goes around telling people she is a "microbiotic chef," when the reality is that she would be starving to death if that was how she actually earned a living.  And then he points out that there are a miniscule amount of foreigners over here actually cooking for a living.  

Then he compares her to all the others with their name affiliated with some publication or NGO, that aren't really earning a living off that, either.  Apparently, the guy is in academia, and has dealt with a lot of students dropping out to live the (pipe) dream.  Yes, he is a bit of a Canker, but maybe he doesnt like to see young people getting conned.  Another great point was that there is a tremendous difference between being a stripper to pay for college and quitting college to become a stripper.

4 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

His objection is that she goes around telling people she is a "microbiotic chef," when the reality is that she would be starving to death if that was how she actually earned a living. 

She may well be a microbiotic chef back in her home country .

Its really not the done thing to question strangers about their source if income , its just inappropriate .

I have met a few felangs like the guy in the video , asking other felangs how that make their money, hoping for themselves to do likewise .

Close friends, OK , but not strangers whom youve just met .

It really is none of his business and hes just looking for an opportunity to do likewise 

16 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Then he compares her to all the others with their name affiliated with some publication or NGO, that aren't really earning a living off that, either. 

Yes, but its none of his business .

Some people have various forms of income and they are not required to divulge that to anyone who asks .

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It isnt a pyramid scheme or a lie.

DN's are supposed to work online themselves

Don't be so naive.  It has been well established that the courses, the how to, are all pyramid schemes, by definition and actuality.  He does say she was a lot more than a stranger.  You are trying to take one small pie e out of context and misrepresent the whole thing.  It fits in well with his other points, and he could have added Berkeley to Cambridge and Oxford, where people commonly misrepresent themselves.  Statement:  I was a community organizer.  Truth:  I was an errand boy for the mob.

Overall, this video was a waste of time, but it did get me thinking about an interesting phenomenon -- how young people with university degrees are being exploited by businesses these days, in taking on assignments as unpaid "interns" just to build their resumes and/or work in interesting places.  Of course, usually they're bankrolled by their parents.

I've wondered about this with my niece.  Never had children myself, so it didn't realize how common this practice is.  She has a masters degree in architecture, with excellent grades, yet she still doesn't have a paying job two years after graduation.  Instead, she's done a series of "internships" at very prestigious commercial architectural design firms in Japan, Australia, Europe and now finally Chicago where she thinks she may actually get a paying job. 

"Back in the day" (1970s) when I was working on my degree in mechanical engineering, we didn't have "internships", but something called "summer jobs in industry" and I was able to get my first after my sophomore year with a Fortune 100 company and it paid $1000 a month.  Each summer I worked for a different Fortune 100 company, building my resume in much the same way my niece has done, but getting paid to do so.  Times have certainly changed.

I wonder what's going to happen to all these digital nomads when they get to be of retirement age?  It's nice to be retired and have a good pension and Social Security.  These things probably won't be there for the DNs.   I think that was the message of this video, although it wasn't delivered in a way that will be listened to by the intended audience.

What  'right' is this fellow claiming to be able to demand that other tell him how they support themselves?

It sounds as if he missed out on his chance to be young, adventurous, and idealistic. He went straight from teenager to grumpy old man.  No dreams as an older teen, so he never bothered to try to live the 'seeker' lifestyle as an early 20's adventurer.  Sure, many, if not most, of these young people eventually discover the sad truth that they actually have to work for a living and it won't be handed to them on a silver platter, but to date, there don't seem to be many of them who don't survive the awakening. 

Do it on their own savings until they are broke... use money from mom and day until they say 'enough.'  Nobody's business but their own.  Claim to be a 'Vertical Transportation Engineer' rather than an elevator operator, and who gives a damn?  Judging by the sheer numbers of Ex-SAS and Delta operatives I've met, they aren't the only ones living out their fantasies.  At least they aren't falling down drunk by 11am...

9 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Don't be so naive.  It has been well established that the courses, the how to, are all pyramid schemes, by definition and actuality.  He does say she was a lot more than a stranger.  You are trying to take one small pie e out of context and misrepresent the whole thing.  It fits in well with his other points, and he could have added Berkeley to Cambridge and Oxford, where people commonly misrepresent themselves.  Statement:  I was a community organizer.  Truth:  I was an errand boy for the mob.

I couldnt watch the whole video , got bored after 6 minutes .

D.N's are people who work on-line and do not need a set office .

They have their own online business and they then become D.N's

Maybe you are referring to people who want to be D.N's and think that doing a course will teach them how to become on-line traders or whatever .

The courses may give advice to wannabbe D.N's , but those courses will not tell you which stocks and shares to buy and sell , that must be done by the individual .

He says that she was a person whom he met and its really up to the individual to decide how much info they want to give about themselves .

49 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Overall, this video was a waste of time, but it did get me thinking about an interesting phenomenon -- how young people with university degrees are being exploited by businesses these days, in taking on assignments as unpaid "interns" just to build their resumes and/or work in interesting places.  Of course, usually they're bankrolled by their parents.

I've wondered about this with my niece.  Never had children myself, so it didn't realize how common this practice is.  She has a masters degree in architecture, with excellent grades, yet she still doesn't have a paying job two years after graduation.  Instead, she's done a series of "internships" at very prestigious commercial architectural design firms in Japan, Australia, Europe and now finally Chicago where she thinks she may actually get a paying job. 

"Back in the day" (1970s) when I was working on my degree in mechanical engineering, we didn't have "internships", but something called "summer jobs in industry" and I was able to get my first after my sophomore year with a Fortune 100 company and it paid $1000 a month.  Each summer I worked for a different Fortune 100 company, building my resume in much the same way my niece has done, but getting paid to do so.  Times have certainly changed.

I wonder what's going to happen to all these digital nomads when they get to be of retirement age?  It's nice to be retired and have a good pension and Social Security.  These things probably won't be there for the DNs.   I think that was the message of this video, although it wasn't delivered in a way that will be listened to by the intended audience.

It is actually quite a bit worse than that.  Parents of Ivy Leaguers are actually paying for their kids to do internships with the big investment firms.  And what is also troubling is that the people who are influential in these young people's

lives didn't have the guts to tell them that the number of jobs in the finance sector has contracted significantly since the GFC, and perhaps even more so architecture.  Did anyone bother pointing out to your niece that there are millions of building plans online that cost a lot less than a few rounds at Beer Republic?  But unlike the DN pyramid victims; she actually knows something.  I was working at The Pentagon at age 20, with full civil service status, GS-4.  Not the best job, and the six and a half hour days crept by, but I was saving money, and building my resume.  

26 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

It is actually quite a bit worse than that.  Parents of Ivy Leaguers are actually paying for their kids to do internships with the big investment firms.  And what is also troubling is that the people who are influential in these young people's

lives didn't have the guts to tell them that the number of jobs in the finance sector has contracted significantly since the GFC, and perhaps even more so architecture.  Did anyone bother pointing out to your niece that there are millions of building plans online that cost a lot less than a few rounds at Beer Republic?  But unlike the DN pyramid victims; she actually knows something.  I was working at The Pentagon at age 20, with full civil service status, GS-4.  Not the best job, and the six and a half hour days crept by, but I was saving money, and building my resume.  

Well, the firms where my niece has interned are ones that build big soaring skyscrapers or design entire new cities.  Not the sort of thing you download from the internet.  The course she took in school was more "engineering" than artistic design and the projects she's worked on are engineering marvels.  You're right -- it's sad to see someone who has some real knowledge and skill being exploited in this way.  And while she's worked in some interesting locations, I don't think she's had the free time to do much exploring, unlike the DNs sitting around Camp at Maya.

This is something the architecture professors should have told prospective students who wanted to get to the top of their profession.  My brother certainly had no idea he'd be supporting his daughter this long.

21 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Well, the firms where my niece has interned are ones that build big soaring skyscrapers or design entire new cities.  Not the sort of thing you download from the internet.  The course she took in school was more "engineering" than artistic design and the projects she's worked on are engineering marvels.  You're right -- it's sad to see someone who has some real knowledge and skill being exploited in this way.  And while she's worked in some interesting locations, I don't think she's had the free time to do much exploring, unlike the DNs sitting around Camp at Maya.

This is something the architecture professors should have told prospective students who wanted to get to the top of their profession.  My brother certainly had no idea he'd be supporting his daughter this long.

Yes, the Pentagon was working on some sizeable projects, too, but it doesn't mean squat if you are making 6.13 an hour and a basic apartment in the suburbs is 650 per month, (30+ years ago).  A gal served me a beer and told me she had just been offered her first newspaper job...20 hours per week at 8.65 an hour.  She was fresh out of Cronkite School of Journalism...I asked if anyone had been honest with her about the prospects for journalism majors.  She told me that there was actually a sign up in the lobby of her department saying you were warned, no guarantees here, significant layoffs have and will happen.  Probably still working at the bar.  

Our dark family secret is that a relative works as an enrollment counselor for an accredited online school (student loan mill).  My brother said the difference between him, and our friend Mitch, who went to prison for bribing a Congressman, is that Mitchell's parents can actually say he accomplished something.

On the National Geographic channel they had a program on Coal mining in the US. I watch as my old dad was a coal miner in UK, starting back in late 1920's.

One point in the US made program was that more miners died in accidents in the 20C then troops died in the Korean and Vietnam Wars Combined.

john

1 minute ago, jonwilly said:

On the National Geographic channel they had a program on Coal mining in the US. I watch as my old dad was a coal miner in UK, starting back in late 1920's.

One point in the US made program was that more miners died in accidents in the 20C then troops died in the Korean and Vietnam Wars Combined.

john

Yes my dad was a coal miner too in England

I have seen a few segments on Coal Mining

Its a dangerous job  even these days

Accidents always happening all over the world  Underground

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

It isnt a pyramid scheme or a lie.

DN's are supposed to work online themselves

There are different types of “digital nomads” in Chiang Mai. One group is doing actual paid work for clients, their employer, or running their own business selling real/useful products.

Another group is spamming the internet with blog posts like “7 best restaurants in Chiang Mai” and trying to monetize this via ads and affiliate marketing, they also try to build a following (e.g. via YouTube) and then attempts to sell their “knowledge” (about how to become successful as a digital nomad) to their followers .

I didn’t watch the entire video, but I think it is this latter group that is being compared to a pyramid scheme, because the scheme is basically to build a group of followers and then sell products to these people, and the product is basically telling your followers that they should also build a group of followers to which they can market their “services”.

22 hours ago, NancyL said:

"Back in the day" (1970s) when I was working on my degree in mechanical engineering, we didn't have "internships", but something called "summer jobs in industry" and I was able to get my first after my sophomore year with a Fortune 100 company and it paid $1000 a month

Working for free is nothing new. Musicians, comedians, chefs, people in the movie industry, etc. has done that for as long as I can remember.

Though working for free in the more hard sciences (like mechanical engineering) is definitely unusual (also today).

Architect (like your niece) probably a little more likely because you have “rock stars” who everyone wants to work for, so famous architect firms can get away with paying their “interns” little to no money.

But I think your niece is making a very conscious choice about working for free for someone “famous” (to build up her C.V.) rather than take a paid architect job that might not look as good on her C.V. or be as interesting/exciting.

Archived