Do I need to translate passport for falang residency card.

I'm on retirement extension and live at my girlfriend's house. I went to Min Buri, Bangkok office for farang residency card. I was told that I need to get:

1- Proof of address from immigration.

2- A copy of translated passport that is stamped by US consulate.

Do I really need a copy of translated passport ?  

Or only this particular office has ruled that (since she even did not understand what "Retirement extension" is even after she looked at my passport)  

Hua Hin requires translated passport which then must be then stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok which then must be notarized at the US Embassy. Also translated names of mother and father (but not stamped). A royal pain the butt. The crazy thing is when you get the "pink card" it is all in Thai. While a Thai ID is in both English and Thai.

5 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Correct, the Yellow  Tambien Ban comes first, then you can ask for the pink colored ID card.

Did not have to do a translation of the ID page of my passport when I did this.

Mac

true, yellow first , then pink id; in my case, i didnt even have to ask for the pink id, they just did it automatically as part of the overall process (for me , no translation needed)

My amphur wanted a translation of passport from Embassy/MFA even though the office in the provincial Big City (Khon Kaen) didn't. I asked if they'd accept a transliteration of my name from another Thai official document, marriage certificate, but they wouldn't so Embassy/MFA it had to be.

That translation/transliteration used the Thai version of my name from the marriage certificate I'd offered earlier ...... so choose the transliteration you want (make sure it agrees with driving licences and whatever other docs. you have bearing your name in Thai) and offer that to the translator.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

What is Frank and Winifred in Thai?

For my parents' names, I went here http://www.thai-language.com/id/589838/ although one of the names meant I had to be a bit creative and combine two names. Frank is in the list but Winifred isn't so might mean combining Willie and Fred, changing a letter and getting something like วินี่เฟร็ด .   

6 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Most Bangkok district offices follow the DOPA instructions manual which requires a translated copy of the applicants passport with MFA stamps. I had to do this for my Ket quit a few years ago. 

I’m in Bangkok, I did not have to translate my passport. All I needed was the yellow book 

I needed af approved/certified Thai translation of my passport, when applying for Yellow House Book. In my case it did not need to be legalized by me embassy, but by a lawyers having the right certificates and rubber stamps (probably cheaper by the embassy, that paying a share of a lawyers expensive education and rubber-tamps). However, according to numerous posts in ThaiVisa forums, it's different from province-to province what is demanded of documentation; in some places it's very easy to get the Yellow House Book;  whilst others, like where I live, it's quite complicated. 

To my knowledge the Yellow House Book is needed before one can obtain a Pink ID-card for aliens, but again, it may be different from area-to-area. However, if the local administration (amphor for ID-cards) requires a proof of address from Immigration, and a translation of Passport certified by the US-embassy, then that's it...:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

true, yellow first , then pink id; in my case, i didnt even have to ask for the pink id, they just did it automatically as part of the overall process (for me , no translation needed)

how can i get the yellow....???? 

have a-o retitement visa 1 year... will soon live in my gf house that gets build right now... i want yellow and pink pls tell me how to proceed... she dont know

14 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Correct, the Yellow  Tambien Ban comes first, then you can ask for the pink colored ID card.

Mac

Could everybody please leave the M out of "tabien"? I can see why you might confuse it with the Spanish word, but I assure you there's no M sound in the Thai word which means register or registry.

12 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Most Bangkok district offices follow the DOPA instructions manual which requires a translated copy of the applicants passport with MFA stamps. I had to do this for my Ket quit a few years ago. 

I was wondering why my district office (Khlong San, Bangkok) asked for this MFA-certified Thai translation of my passport with my application for the yellow house registration book. Now I know why.

3 hours ago, free123 said:

how can i get the yellow....???? 

have a-o retitement visa 1 year... will soon live in my gf house that gets build right now... i want yellow and pink pls tell me how to proceed... she dont know

When your GF's house is 80% finished, she can apply for a house number and the mandatory Blue House Book; then you can apply for having your name in the House Book, which mean that you as an alien will receive a Yellow House Book. Rules are little different in various areas – some places it's very easy, others almost as complicated as applying for Permanent Residency – so you and your GF need to ask at the local Tabien Ban about what they require for obtaining an alien in a House Book.

:smile:

8 hours ago, MartinL said:

I asked if they'd accept a transliteration of my name from another Thai official document, marriage certificate, but they wouldn't so Embassy/MFA it had to be.

The transliteration of your name would not have been enough by itself; the certified translation of the ID page of your passport, as correctly required by many district offices, was needed.

In my case, the translator asked me for the transliteration of my name and if I remember correctly I took it from my Thai driving license. As my wife accompanied me to the district office, the official checked it against the name on the marriage registration and found a discrepancy, then used the name of the marriage registration for my yellow book.

(Now I wonder what Thai name immigration has on record for me)

Edited by Maestro

On 22.11.2017 at 2:39 PM, khunPer said:

When your GF's house is 80% finished, she can apply for a house number and the mandatory Blue House Book; then you can apply for having your name in the House Book, which mean that you as an alien will receive a Yellow House Book. Rules are little different in various areas – some places it's very easy, others almost as complicated as applying for Permanent Residency – so you and your GF need to ask at the local Tabien Ban about what they require for obtaining an alien in a House Book.

:smile:

Thank you I will try this....

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 6:03 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Mac

similar to my experience; in mine, i did not have to ask for the pink id card, they included that process in the overall process; automatic; 60 baht for the photo they took;total price for book and card

On 11/22/2017 at 10:04 AM, glamont002 said:

Hua Hin requires translated passport which then must be then stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok which then must be notarized at the US Embassy. Also translated names of mother and father (but not stamped). A royal pain the butt. The crazy thing is when you get the "pink card" it is all in Thai. While a Thai ID is in both English and Thai.

Thankfully the Thai drivers licenses show your name in English, just one of the many strange processes they follow here.

I always understood that generally names are not translated which ever country you live in, although no doubt someone on this site will post an exception.