Astra Condo and area

ctrunfree

Hi people

I'm coming back for another month in August next year, and I'm just working out where I want to stay this time.  I notice since my last visit that the relatively new Astra condo near the Shangri-La seems pretty flash.  However, they seem to be advertising a lot (more than 50 at a rough count) of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments on Air BnB (many apparently owned by Chinese, targeting the Chinese market) .  Many seem to make use of the front desk staff to help people with key pickup, so I'm guessing the condo management is not averse to short term rentals.  I'm wondering if this has had a detrimental impact on the place.  Does anyone live there, or know anyone who does, who could comment?

We haven't stayed in that area since we had a month in a Peaks Garden flat quite a few years ago. What has been happening in that part of town? I don't suppose the refurb of the Pantip Plaza has included a food court?  What is the Big C like-presumably not a match for Rimping?

Edited by ctrunfree

There is KFC and McDonalds with just a few coffee places

The Big C is a Big C Market it has a few things for supplies

But not a full Big C Supermarket

Mostly Phone and Internet places street level

With IT Upstairs

Repairs up further again

Learning Thai on top level still has food in the corner

I believe it is still a work in progress

5 hours ago, ctrunfree said:

I notice since my last visit that the relatively new Astra condo near the Shangri-La seems pretty flash.  However, they seem to be advertising a lot (more than 50 at a rough count) of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments on Air BnB (many apparently owned by Chinese, targeting the Chinese market) .  Many seem to make use of the front desk staff to help people with key pickup, so I'm guessing the condo management is not averse to short term rentals.  I'm wondering if this has had a detrimental impact on the place.  Does anyone live there, or know anyone who does, who could comment?

I had a look at some of the units in there recently and I also noticed that many of the people wandering around seemed to be short-termers. The location is good but due to its sideways layout none of the units I looked at had a nice view, so at the price I simply would not bother with it.

I personally would not want to buy or live in any building that has many short-term tenants, and would prefer a building where the management actively bans them.

9 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

There is KFC and McDonalds with just a few coffee places

The Big C is a Big C Market it has a few things for supplies

But not a full Big C Supermarket

Mostly Phone and Internet places street level

With IT Upstairs

Repairs up further again

Learning Thai on top level still has food in the corner

I believe it is still a work in progress

I saw a rat in that top floor food court the size of a dachshund.  Filthy.

On 11/22/2017 at 9:56 AM, KittenKong said:

I personally would not want to buy or live in any building that has many short-term tenants, and would prefer a building where the management actively bans them.

There are two buildings, I think the intent was to have rental business limited to building A with the more permanent residents in building B, which I believe have a separate entrance/lobby.

That said, in the Astra area I would definitely recommend one of the Peaks buildings over Astra. Further down south there is The Shine which I can also recommend (unless you need a full kitchen).

There is also Anantara’s new building which looks pretty nice, though the interior is “Lanna style” and many of the condos there are being used as hotel apartments (managed by Anantara). Last I was there, the clerk joked that you need a Chinese passport to enter (as the lobby was filled with Chinese people).

If it’s more than a year since you stayed at Peaks Garden, there is a new nighttime food market opposite Pantip Plaza, it seems to be a success, they even expanded across the street, but 90% of the vendors disappeared after the first week (of no customers).

Edited by lkn

3 hours ago, ctrunfree said:

I'd imagine getting across Chang Klan and Sridonchai hasn't got any easier.  I think it might become a toss up between Peaks and some places in the quieter parts of Nimman (such as they exist).

That intersection is still painful (with no light for pedestrians).

As for quiet place in Nimman, are you aware of the plane noise associated with that area?