Trump defends Senate candidate Moore despite misconduct allegations

webfact

Trump defends Senate candidate Moore despite misconduct allegations

By Jeff Mason

tag_reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during the 70th National Thanksgiving turkey pardoning ceremony in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, U.S., November 21, 2017. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump defended embattled U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore on Tuesday, saying the Alabama Republican had denied allegations of sexual misconduct and emphasizing that he did not want Moore's Democratic opponent to win.

Trump has previously said that Moore should step aside if the allegations were true.

Trump, speaking to reporters at the White House before leaving Washington for Florida, left open the possibility of campaigning for Moore, saying he would make an announcement on that next week.

"Roy Moore denies it, he totally denies it," Trump said.

Trump's position is a break from that of other national Republicans. Republican U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other prominent lawmakers have pressed Moore to quit the race.

Trump's comments represent a shift in strategy by the White House, which has largely tried to keep its distance from the Moore controversy.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders has said repeatedly that Alabama voters should decide the election, and Trump stood by his position that Moore should step aside if the allegations were true. The White House also backed the Republican National Committee's decision to withdraw support for the controversial former state Supreme Court chief justice.

Moore's campaign has been in turmoil since the Washington Post published a story detailing the accounts of three women who claim he pursued them while they were teenagers and he was in his 30s. More women have since spoken out with allegations of their own.

Moore, 70, has denied any wrongdoing.

Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the accusations.

Before the allegations came to light, Moore was heavily favoured to defeat Democrat Doug Jones, a former federal prosecutor, in the special election on Dec. 12.

Republicans are eager to hold on to their slim 52-48 majority in the Senate.

Trump said he did not want Jones to win. “We don’t need a liberal person in there, a Democrat."

He added: "Roy Moore denies it. That's all I can say. And by the way, he totally denies it."

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; additional reporting by Eric Walsh; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-22

21 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The pussy-grabber defends a teenage girl molester.

Congratulations America! This truly is your golden age!

Libelous slander. Did America used to have some system before where a person was innocent until proved guilty? 

edit to add - most based polls show Mr Moore is still a clear favorite to win this election, even with the appalling smear campaign by the democrats and the liberal elite.

Edited by FreddieRoyle

1 minute ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Libelous slander. Did America used to have some system before where a person was innocent until proved guilty? 

I refer to Trump as the 'pussy-grabber' based on his own words.

In the case of Moore, there are nine (to date) women who have come forward to accuse him. I believe them as I cannot think of a reason not to. And I would not be the least surprised if even more women came forward; this is the pattern with cases like this.

I stand by my original comment.

24 minutes ago, daoyai said:

it should come down to what were the Alabama laws on consent at the time and what statute of limitations are now...

That right, let's excuse abominable behavior based only on the law at the time, sort of like slavery was OK because it was the law back then

1 hour ago, FreddieRoyle said:

edit to add - most based polls show Mr Moore is still a clear favorite to win this election, even with the appalling smear campaign by the democrats and the liberal elite.

There are a few cases filed against Mr Trump for libelous slander for when he called accusers liars and worse.

Democrat candidate is not running a smear campaign.

Trump backers seem to think presenting facts and reporting the news is smearing.

Republican party and the evangelicals who support Moore have lost their moral compasses.

43 minutes ago, daoyai said:

it should come down to what were the Alabama laws on consent at the time and what statute of limitations are now...

Respectfully, if the statute of limitations has passed (I do not know), would it be okay for a man in his early/mid thirties to sexually touch a fourteen year-old girl?

I am not sure if this is a legal issue or not.

I AM sure it is a moral one; it is NOT right for a man in his thirties to sexually touch a fourteen year-old girl.

Trump has said HIMSELF he grabbed them by the pussy, jeez your defending of this excuse for a human being is pathetic.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Trump has said HIMSELF he grabbed them by the pussy, jeez your defending of this excuse for a human being is pathetic.

I said his calling Mr Moore a "teenage girl molester" was libelous and it is. In the developed world we have courts of law to decide what is, and what is not, illegal behavior. Can we at least wait until the alleged crimes of Mr Moore have been tried in a court of law before branding him a molester. In many cases these claims are false and have been made under pressure. I note several of Moore's accusers own family member and friends are publicly saying the claims are made-up.

Recent polls show Moore way ahead now, more so thanks to Trumps defending him. Let's see how this plays out but I suspect it is just another case of dems shooting themselves in their feet, and no doubt the accusers will be shown to be perverts just like in the liberal Hollywood elite's downfall. It's happy times in MAGAland.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump defended embattled U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore on Tuesday, saying the Alabama Republican had denied allegations

If Moore were Hillary, there would be EIGHT separate investigations over several years and even after ALL of them (some run by partisan committees) found no evidence of wrong-doing, Trump would still tweet that Moore should be prosecuted.

But Moore, like Putin, claim they didn’t do it, so it must be true. End of story, nothing to see here folks, it’s not like they’re...ugh—Democrats.

Edited by Thakkar

7 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Let,s face it, some people actually do tell blatant lies ! Maybe Moore is innocent, but who here in Thailand can fault a 30 yr old for making advances on a teenager ? Hypocrisy lives and thrives in Thailand !

This post is a little disturbing errr, Mr Fiddler!

Maybe you do not fault it, but most people can see a bit of a difference in ages between 13-teen and 19-teen y.o girl

11 minutes ago, Becker said:

So I guess that means FreddyRoyle is as full of ****as the abominable Moore and the man-child. How unsurprising!

Some recent polls show him well ahead, some behind. The average shows he is ever so slightly trailing but well within the margin of error. Honest Abe's assertion that some people can be fooled ALL the time never rang truer.

Edited by lannarebirth

I said his calling Mr Moore a "teenage girl molester" was libelous and it is. In the developed world we have courts of law to decide what is, and what is not, illegal behavior. Can we at least wait until the alleged crimes of Mr Moore have been tried in a court of law before branding him a molester. In many cases these claims are false and have been made under pressure. I note several of Moore's accusers own family member and friends are publicly saying the claims are made-up.

Recent polls show Moore way ahead now, more so thanks to Trumps defending him. Let's see how this plays out but I suspect it is just another case of dems shooting themselves in their feet, and no doubt the accusers will be shown to be perverts just like in the liberal Hollywood elite's downfall. It's happy times in MAGAland.

His own friend admits it now, any more excuses?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/roy-moores-pastor-ally-says-he-dated-teens-because-of-their-purity

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Let,s face it, some people actually do tell blatant lies ! Maybe Moore is innocent, but who here in Thailand can fault a 30 yr old for making advances on a teenager ? Hypocrisy lives and thrives in Thailand !

Loads of people, not the kiddy fiddlers though. 

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is a simple case of right and wrong. It is not legal. It is not political. It is right and wrong.

It is wrong for a man in his thirties to sexually touch a fourteen year-old girl. End of story.

Whatever the polls show in the end does not matter; it will be wrong no matter the results of the election.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

I admit, as a middle age guy, I've had sex with Asian gals in their late teens.  However, I pay for it, and the gals are eager to participate.  They even compete for attention, and sometimes get jealous of other gals.  Heck, there have been times when I've sensed genuine affection, and some of the gals have become long-time friends.  

That's different than what Trump has done:  namely: sexually assaulting women without their consent.

.....or what Moore has done:  force himself sexually upon mid-teen gals who are too young to decide or resist effectively.

Plus, what Trump and Moore have done also creates psychiatric problems for the gals, which can last decades or more.

That's quite different than consensual sexual interaction, as sometimes found in places like Thailand's massage parlors.

48 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

... Heck, there have been times when I've sensed genuine affection, and some of the gals have become long-time friends. ...

And that's probably how US Senatorial pick Moore viewed his indecent, predatory actions until the Rose McGowan bomb busted the Weinstein Dam wide open.

Edited by NanLaew

10 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Has there ever been an occasion where these actual, real, clear, liberal polls have been so completely wrong that they have become a running joke? nudge..nudge.

I don't know, has there?  I'm thinking no until you show otherwise.

Anyway let's hope the Trump endorsement is the same kiss of death for Moore that it was for Ed Gillespie.  And even if not, it's worth noting that the GOP always wins alabama by huge margins - often twenty points or more.  The fact that it's now just a few points in such a deep red state should worry congressional republicans in 2018.

If Roy Moore, in his 30's, spending time running around malls and schoolyards chasing 14 year old girls is not enough to raise your back- Roy Moore was twice removed  as Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court for failing to follow the law.  The last time he refused to recognize that gay people have rights under Alabama law to marry indicating it was against religious beliefs . Since when does the Alabama Supreme court decide  what laws to enforce and what not to enforce.

In addition, Moore has ties to Neo Confederate groups and White Supremacy advocates. If it was up to Moore- slavery would still be legal in Alabama.

This man is not suited for any elected office and certainly not as a US Senator. For Donald Trump to support such a man- shows who Donald Trump really is and that should be a concern to all Americans.