webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

Impossible to get a taxi at normal fare in Pratunam (not at least outside Baiyoke Sky hotel), in Lower sukhumvit inside the sois (namely soi 11), in Chinatown (namely in Charoen Krung road and Yawarat Road).  The problem is worst after 4 pm.

Not to mention Silom or Suriwongse tourist areas, especially in the evening.

Start by shutting down the taxi-meter business in Pattaya...the ones that charge 300 baht for the first 100 meters...10 times more than anywhere else!

In Ubon, no problem at all...very nice taxi-meter starting at 30 baht and never trying to rip you off.

They even come get me at home, 60 km away, when requested...in Pattaya, for the same service it would be cheaper to rent a helicopter!

Check points will do nothing What you need to do is get those cops dressed in regular cloths and start to hail cabs

as if you are going to use the cab Then you can assess if they are conforming to the rules

Then let them know then have been checked and given good marks or they are not If good they are happy and know you are out there

If bad they know from the fine you just levied and may behave knowing that they may get you again Use male and female officers

This is the only way you are going to clean this mess up

No other way will work PERIOD

5 hours ago, brucec64 said:

How can Prayut complain about fake news when he puts out this nonsense? Taxis will not be put under control no matter how long the junta stays. How can they take on the taxi mafia when they can't even take on the lottery mafia?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I love Prayut because he told me to. Otherwise I may get a big fine or go to gaol. Pure democracy telling his subjects and falangs to say nice things about him!

if not for the crackdown of these crackdowns, the number of crackdowns will be a lot higher than the number of crackdowns being announced. stop those crackdowns so we can all crack down on the real number of crackdowns in the hub of crackdowns. this is crackin'!!!

About time this is Killing Samui and many tourist destinations. They refuse to put the meter on, and when they get a fare its a stupid rate of 400 to 1000 bht , Now even the Songthaews are doing the same is always been flat fares of 50 bht and 100bht at night Now we are hearing  taxi prices fares.  it is killing tourist by making them hire scoter with No experience or licences , But the Hospitals, doing insurance scams and rescue vans are on a commision so the Hospitals win , Bike hire company win on the repairs/replacements . If not fixed Thailand will not get repeat customers returning year after year as it leaves a bad taste .

Ah yes, Pratunam. In September I tried to get a taxi to Makkasan. At least 6 taxi drivers asked for fares between 200 and 300 baht. ( The actual fare I eventually paid to an honest driver was 65 baht plus a tip ). If they refuse to use the meter, I leave the door open and address them as " joan plon " read " thief " and look for another taxi. So, it pisses them off. Who cares ?

I have used Taxis in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, the US, Korea, Japan, Germany & TJ Mexico I found the most ruthless cabbies to be in the US, usually foreigners, (Indians usually) I have had relatively good luck with bkk taxis, never a problem with the green/yellow taxis the few problems were with a couple pink taxis. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tourist police vow crackdown on taxi driver scams.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Somebodies having a laugh.

Thai crackdowns stopped even being funny thousands of crackdowns ago, although the officials announcing them can still draw a smirk now & then.   'Not even worth a roll of the eyes anymore. 

I had to get real agressive to get a cabbie to turn in the meter.  If you could turn in a video of a cabbie refusing to turn on the meter and he knew he would lose his permit for a year this problem would be fixed.  The cabbie who clicked the meter higher everyone I glanced away got a surprise when I paid him what I wanted and not the meter.   He saw in my eyes that he was going to bleed if he did a dam thing plus I grabbed the wire and said let's just call the police. 

18 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I had to get real agressive to get a cabbie to turn in the meter.  If you could turn in a video of a cabbie refusing to turn on the meter and he knew he would lose his permit for a year this problem would be fixed.  The cabbie who clicked the meter higher everyone I glanced away got a surprise when I paid him what I wanted and not the meter.   He saw in my eyes that he was going to bleed if he did a dam thing plus I grabbed the wire and said let's just call the police. 

Not sure I'd recommend this technique to everyone, but well done.

The only thing the taxi drivers will understand is being taken out of the cab and given a night or two at the Hotel de Bar. Nothing will happen unless the offending drivers and operators are hit where it hurts...a DEEP dive into their wallets...and probably not even then. Corruption is too ingrained into Thai society on whole.