Non-o based on marriage

I didn't find information for this question older posts so I ask,I will apply non-o based on marriage visa soon and Im living in Pattaya.Do I have to apply that visa at Chonburi Immigration or can I apply that at Savannakhet? I have now single entry Tourist Visa and its still valid for month and i have residence in Pattaya,I read from somewhere that first application have to leave to that province Immigration where you live and its nearest to you and renew application can do somewhere else too or is this misinformation?

I just think that Savannakhet would be so much easy to leave application because they don't demand 400k deposits etc.

You seem to be confused and mixing up two completley diffrent things.

A non o visa based on marriage can only be got outside Thailand Savanakhet as you mentioned is easy. On that non o you have to leave the country after 90 days or extend it at immigration based on visiting wife for another 60 days then you leave Thailand and get a new 90 day entry and do the process over again.

The other method is an Extension based on marriage which can be obtained in country at your local immigration office with all the paper work and 400k in bank for 2 months i belive. Then every 90 days you report to immigration and do whats called a 90 day report.

Two very diffrent things

I am currently having discussions regarding this issue with my wife.  I have a Non-immigrant Type O Multiple Entry Visa based on marriage with an "Enter Before" date of 7 Sep 2018; when I went through Immigration (13 Sep 2017) they stamped passport with "Admitted Until" 11 Dec 2017.  I believe this requires a Visa run prior to 11 Dec to get another 90 days...my wife says I have 1 year stay in Thailand and Immigration made mistake.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

3 minutes ago, chuck6660 said:

I am currently having discussions regarding this issue with my wife.  I have a Non-immigrant Type O Multiple Entry Visa based on marriage with an "Enter Before" date of 7 Sep 2018; when I went through Immigration (13 Sep 2017) they stamped passport with "Admitted Until" 11 Dec 2017.  I believe this requires a Visa run prior to 11 Dec to get another 90 days...my wife says I have 1 year stay in Thailand and Immigration made mistake.

The multiple entry Non O only allows 90-day stays. The Enter before date of the visa is completely unrelated to the length of the permission to stay you receive each time you enter Thailand. Normally, as you believe, a border hop is needed on or before 11 Dec to get a fresh 90-day entry. You do have the option of a 60-day extension to visit your wife, on payment of 1,900 baht at your local immigration office. Your wife must accompany you if you wish to get this, but otherwise the 60-day extension is very easy to get.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 8:10 PM, jeab1980 said:

A non o visa based on marriage can only be got outside Thailand Savanakhet as you mentioned is easy. 

a non immigrant 'O' visa can be obtained within Thailand as part of a conversion process, but not every office will do this

On 11/22/2017 at 8:10 PM, jeab1980 said:

The other method is an Extension based on marriage which can be obtained in country at your local immigration office with all the paper work and 400k in bank for 2 months i belive.

you would need a no immigrant visa first to apply for a one year extension of stay.

Only your "local office" is permitted to do conversions.  Old posts here indicate you can do it in Bangkok, but they won't do this any more.  If you have over 400K Baht in a Thai bank, seasoned for 2 or 3 months, you might be able to get a "conversion to a Non-O visa" at the Jomtien (serving Pattaya area) immigration office.  The "official" list of the requirements is shown in this post:

You will notice that the official list shows you should be able to get your conversion done with non-seasoned funds or an income document.  Unfortunately, that is only possible at offices who follow these official rules.  At Jomtien, you will be given an unofficial list, which does not include income as an option, and requires seasoned money.  OTOH, if you pay an agent a hefty-fee, they will happily process your conversion (and some offer to fake the money).  You can guess why agent-applications which involve a wad of cash are accepted, but honest ones with all the correct paperwork are not.

For a fraction of the agent-fee, you can go to Laos and get a single-entry Non-O Visa, which can then be extended.  It is next-day service for this - available at Savanakhet or Vientiane

Once you have your initial Non-O - either via conversion or applying at a consulate - you then can apply for an "extension of stay" for 1-year at Jomtien during the last 30-days of an entry with it.  Unlike conversions, reports indicate that the family extensions desk is honest (as is the retirement-extensions desk), and will process your extension with the standard paperwork.  Do be prepared to have a lot of documents from your landlord, though - signed copies landlord's house-book and id-card, plus a signed copy of the house-book where you are living.

Note: If an agent offers to get a conversion and a 1-year extension all at once - this is not legal, and you should decline, as it could create problems later when a corruption investigation occurs, eventually.  So, do the conversion first - then, in the last 30-days of that 90-days, apply for the 1-year.

Another option is the "One year multiple entry Non-O Visa" available at Savanahket, requiring only your marriage certificate and copy of you wife's house-book and ID card.  This allows you to avoid immigration entirely - but you must do visa-runs every 90-days for new entries.  You could also do 60-day extensions of those entries, but that brings you back into the immigration office, with issues like TM-30s and landlord-docs to deal with.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

On 25/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, steve187 said:

a non immigrant 'O' visa can be obtained within Thailand as part of a conversion process, but not every office will do this

you would need a no immigrant visa first to apply for a one year extension of stay.

A non o based on marriage can not be obtained in country end Of  

Try reading the op post and my reply before jumping in with a 

wrong reply eh

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

wrong reply eh

My advice would be to take the fairly recent information provided by @ubonjoe in https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1001644-converting-30-day-arrival-visa-into-non-immigrant-o-visa/?do=findComment&comment=12260848 over the views of others on this board:

You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

You will have supply the same financial proof and supporting documents needed for an extension of stay based upon marriage. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply.

Nobody is perfect, but @ubonjoe is rarely wrong.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

A Non O ME cannot be obtained in Country, however a Non O can be obtained in Country as part of the conversion process to obtaining an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage.

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

wrong reply eh

your always right except when you are wrong, as others have posted it can be done. look at post 8

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

wrong reply eh

With respect jeab1980, that is incorrect.

2 years ago I successfully converted my Tourist Visa to a Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi in Surin.

Was told by everyone that it couldn't be done, but I visited KC Immi and asked direct. "Can do now" was the reply. Next day I returned with all the correct paperwork. Took 3 weeks for the application to be approved, via Korat I believe. No probs.

OP wallju .... I recommend you visit your local Immi and ask them. Only then will you know for sure if they will convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-O. Might save you a long trip to Savanahket.

Make sure you time it so the last time you re-enter Thailand is just before or on September 7th 2018 which will get you nearly 15 months from that visa.

Oh and I'd personally ignore those advising you to get that visa in Thailand. It cant be done.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, banjoe said:

Make sure you time it so the last time you re-enter Thailand is just before or on September 7th 2018 which will get you nearly 15 months from that visa.

Oh and I'd personally ignore those advising you to get that visa in Thailand. It cant be done.

Agree on maxing-out his Non-O Multiple-Entry Visa.  But two different types of cases seem to be getting mixed up in this thread. 

If someone already has a Non-O Visa (multiple) based on marriage (Chuck6660), they can apply for a 1-year extension at any immigration office using either income (stat-doc from your embassy) or money in-the-bank (400K Baht+) seasoned for 2 months.  Some offices are reported to demand 3 months seasoning, even for the 1st extension - which is wrong, but there seems to be no oversight to stop offices from making up their own rules.

In the OP's case (wallju) concerning a person without a Non-O Visa - they would need to get a conversion to a Non-O at a local office OR to go to a Consulate to get a Visa.  Whether a conversion is possible is dependent on which office serves their area. 

Some offices do follow the rules and allow conversions to a Non-O - in these cases, it can be done in-country. 

Other offices only allow conversions under made-up rules and/or with the use of agents (again, thanks to no oversight of local offices).  Where someone is served by a less-cooperative office, it is often much easier to make a trip to a Consulate to get a single-entry Non-O Visa, and then apply for an extension in the last 30 to 45 days of their entry with that visa.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

My advice would be to take the fairly recent information provided by @ubonjoe in https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1001644-converting-30-day-arrival-visa-into-non-immigrant-o-visa/?do=findComment&comment=12260848 over the views of others on this board:

you are quoting a non o not a non o based on marriage which can not be got inside Thailand read the post

4 hours ago, electric said:

With respect jeab1980, that is incorrect.

2 years ago I successfully converted my Tourist Visa to a Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi in Surin.

Was told by everyone that it couldn't be done, but I visited KC Immi and asked direct. "Can do now" was the reply. Next day I returned with all the correct paperwork. Took 3 weeks for the application to be approved, via Korat I believe. No probs.

OP wallju .... I recommend you visit your local Immi and ask them. Only then will you know for sure if they will convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-O. Might save you a long trip to Savanahket.

you can convert tourist visa to a NON O yes then get a extension based on marriage no one id disputing that,

you Can NOT get a NON O based on Marriage in Country maybe upto joe could tell you all your wrong.

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

you can convert tourist visa to a NON O yes then get a extension based on marriage no one id disputing that,

you Can NOT get a NON O based on Marriage in Country maybe upto joe could tell you all your wrong.

Maybe we are getting caught in semantics - but my understanding:

Generally, "Visas" are only issued at Consulates.  Conversions to a Non-O are special, because it is a rare-case where Immigration issues you a "Visa" in-country.  These Non-O visas, like their MFA counterparts, can be issued "based on" Marriage, Retirement, etc. 

What they put in your passport for a "conversion" is a "Non-O Visa" stamp, which grants a 90-day duration upon use.  Upon issuance by immigration (vs the MFA), it is then cancelled immediately, and you get a 90-day "permitted stay" stamp from it. 

Your permitted-stay duration begins that day - not beginning at the end of your previous permitted-stay like an extension would.  Technically, you were just "stamped in" with a "Non-O Visa" that very minute.

If I got any of that wrong, I welcome a correction.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:
9 hours ago, BritTim said:

you are quoting a non o not a non o based on marriage which can not be got inside Thailand read the post

I did read the post. The simultaneous Non O visa and its use for a 90-day stay is usually a prelude to a one-year extension of stay, but there is no regulation that mandates application for the extension at the end of the 90-day stay. The conversion process is an exception to the rule that you cannot apply for a visa from within Thailand. It cannot be used to get a multiple entry visa, but it most certainly does provide an (immediately used) single entry Non O visa. It is right there in your passport, and you can see it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I did read the post. The simultaneous Non O visa and its use for a 90-day stay is usually a prelude to a one-year extension of stay, but there is no regulation that mandates application for the extension at the end of the 90-day stay. The conversion process is an exception to the rule that you cannot apply for a visa from within Thailand. It cannot be used to get a multiple entry visa, but it most certainly does provide an (immediately used) single entry Non O visa. It is right there in your passport, and you can see it.

You still havent got it have you. You apply for a non o visa and an Extension at the same time that non o is not based on marriage the extensioñ is. Therefore you CANNOT get a NON O based on marriage whine Thailand. You can dress up the fact you are incorrect as much as you want. Fact remains you are wrong

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Maybe we are getting caught in semantics - but my understanding:

Generally, "Visas" are only issued at Consulates.  Conversions to a Non-O are special, because it is a rare-case where Immigration issues you a "Visa" in-country.  These Non-O visas, like their MFA counterparts, can be issued "based on" Marriage, Retirement, etc. 

What they put in your passport for a "conversion" is a "Non-O Visa" stamp, which grants a 90-day duration upon use.  Upon issuance by immigration (vs the MFA), it is then cancelled immediately, and you get a 90-day "permitted stay" stamp from it. 

Your permitted-stay duration begins that day - not beginning at the end of your previous permitted-stay like an extension would.  Technically, you were just "stamped in" with a "Non-O Visa" that very minute.

If I got any of that wrong, I welcome a correction.

No semantics just correct terminology something most on here beat there chests over

Untill they are erong of course then its semantics!!

8 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You apply for a non o visa and an Extension at the same time that non o is not based on marriage the extensioñ is.

You are wrong. They are 2 separate applications.

The application for the 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) application requires the same financial proof and supporting documents as the extension of stay based upon marriage. As soon as the visa stamp is done is it marked as used and a 90 day entry stamp is done. The fee for the visa is 2000 baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 entry you can a apply for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage for a fee of 1900 baht. You must show the financial proof and supporting documents again.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, electric said:

I left my Non-O application at Jomtien Immigration today and application was visa change based on marriage.

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

You still havent got it have you. You apply for a non o visa and an Extension at the same time that non o is not based on marriage the extensioñ is. Therefore you CANNOT get a NON O based on marriage whine Thailand. You can dress up the fact you are incorrect as much as you want. Fact remains you are wrong

OK, so please explain to me

• on what basis is that visa you get in your passport issued?
  • why does your wife need to accompany you to receive the 90-day stay from the visa they put in your passport?
  • why is there no extension stamp, but an entry stamp matching the date the Non O visa in the passport is issued, and an Admitted until date 90 days later?
  • why are you charged 2,000 baht (the cost of a Non O visa) but nothing that seems to match the normal cost of an extension?

You are correct, I still do not get why a visa and entry stamp (but no extension stamp) given based on provided financial proof equivalent to that required at many consulates for a Non O based on Thai spouse, and wife present is somehow not a single entry visa based on having a Thai spouse.

Edited by BritTim

11 hours ago, wallju said:

I left my Non-O application at Jomtien Immigration today and application was visa change based on marriage.

If you could share:

What financials-method was accepted?

Were you given a custom-made list of requirements?

Were you asked to pay an "extra fee" for service beyond the standard 2000 Baht and/or was an agent involved?

I hit a brick-wall there using an embassy income stat-doc with MFA certification backed up by bank-books with incoming-transfers, proving the income was genuine. 

16 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Fact remains that he is correct and you are wrong.:shock1: