I'm confused about the BTS Rabbit card or something does not add up

gma992

On 11/25/2017 at 5:50 PM, Thian said:

From mochit to Central world we always paid around the 40 a person single way.

Last time we did that was with Rabbit and it was around 60 a person iirc.

So in my book that's about 50% raise in price.

And what are those machines where you can do something with rabbit? I thought they were for topping up or some bonussystem but it was not working if you didn't provide your details like emailaddress so it was a big waste of time.

At first i liked Rabbit but you can't topup easy so i stopped using it, lately many shops have it though but can't topup.

Just travelled OnNut - MoChit and back the other day, 44 baht per trip.

Fares from June 1st 2013

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/pdf/A4_fare_table_1June13.pdf

Fares from October 1st 2017

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/pdf/webLeaflet_flat_fare_SJT.pdf

Increase on MoChit- Chitlom the last 4 years: 2 baht...

Edited by BadCash

The Rabbit card rates for single trips has gone up quite a bit recently, but in a sense that's all relative.  With my memory I wouldn't be able to quote really accurate pricing but per my recollection less than a year ago the pricing was for 22 to 25 baht per trip based on the two volume levels I would purchase (25 or 40 trips, cheaper to buy more, but they only last a month, so you have to use the BTS a good bit to get the extra value out of it), and now are more like 26 and 29.  Per that memory issue I just refilled it on Friday, so as an estimate that's pretty close, but still kind of a best guess.

It's a significant increase as percentages go, up the better part of 20%, but still under $1 USD for one way on a train, still kind of reasonable.  If they hadn't adjusted their debit card based fares in four years (as with the case fares) that would explain the jump, since inflation is a real thing.  Those extensions charging an extra 10 or 15 baht adds to that but it seems fair to put more of the expansion cost on people using the extra stations, and it's not exactly a crippling level of additional expense.