Enclosed balcony? how much u pay?

2 hours ago, trogers said:

Suitable for detached homes, but not for condos, as there would be the question of where it is to begin and end, and how the dirty water would be blown and splash from the drip edges...

You're wrong, but never mind.

21 minutes ago, Senechal said:

Don't forget to consider your increased air conditioning expenses.

The reason for balconies in Thailand is only partially outdoor space. Balconies are the cheapest form of head reduction money can buy.

There no sun ever on that side..

On 11/23/2017 at 10:52 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Friend of mine is considering and he is allowed by the juristic comitee to partially enclose his balcony about 3,5 Meters wide...

On 11/24/2017 at 8:43 AM, Destiny1990 said:

I think u correct about the dirt streak that will effect units under mine is there a good way to prevent this?

On 11/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, Destiny1990 said:

The outerwall of my enclosed kitchen will be from the ground up bricks cement till about one meter high. So right above my kitchen sink...

:whistling:

22 hours ago, trogers said:

Perhaps you can make me wiser with the example below under a 100mm monsoon rain.

Looking at your picture it seems that the monsoon rain has washed away those dirt streaks you were so worried about. Coincidentally it must do the same in my building, and in the ones near mine, as none of them have any dirt streaks under the flush-mounted windows either. Some of them also have sills on those windows, yet they dont have any problems with where the sills start and finish. Probably because they work like this:

home-design.jpg

Nor does the dirty water from the sills in the buildings around mine cause a problem with units lower down, and indeed why should it? After it has rained for a few tens of seconds all the water coming off will be normal rain water, and the general heavy flow of the rain here will dilute any dirt.

Dirt streaks are much more likely to be a problem is countries like the UK where they get a lot of light rain and drizzle. And even there sills solve the problem which, of course, is why they are universally used there.

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Dirt streaks are much more likely to be a problem is countries like the UK where they get a lot of light rain and drizzle. And even there sills solve the problem which, of course, is why they are universally used there.

I believe the primary motivation is to protect the wall from moisture damage by draining away the water that might otherwise end below the window and find its way through cracks in the wall, dissolve the mortar, or similar.

I have certainly seen dirt streaks starting from the side of the window sills, but only on white buildings which are not overly common in Northern Europe (where majority of buildings are brick and mortar which age pretty well).

Not difficult to look for dirt streak. Just look at the roof parapet walls of building older than 5 years to see them. They are caused by dust accumulated during the 4 months of the dry season. Dust accumulate most on flat surfaces, such as the top of parapets, protruding ledges and balconies with upstands. The first rains come and wash the dust off the edge onto side of the building facade, creating these dirt streaks.

The photo I have posted is a recently completed project of AP in Rachada. That's why their pool deck looks spotless.

You can even see the dirt streaks on buildings with lots of glass or curtain wall. The condo next to the Ekamai bus terminal is an example. That's the reason why some commented that projects here age prematurely. They are not, but just look like it because of the dirt on the facades 

Edited by trogers

43 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

So most units have it not seems to matter enclosed balcony or open style.

Opened or enclosed would depend on how the space is to be used.

Present design in new buildings is an open space for the compressor and laundry. Unlike the old, where we can have a bbq on the balcony.

40 minutes ago, trogers said:

Opened or enclosed would depend on how the space is to be used.

Present design in new buildings is an open space for the compressor and laundry. Unlike the old, where we can have a bbq on the balcony.

Yes but u said an enclosed balcony will   strain units underneath but now we can see they all will strain with open and or enclosed balconies.

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes but u said an enclosed balcony will   strain units underneath but now we can see they all will strain with open and or enclosed balconies.

No, I said dirt streaks will form down the outside of the balcony wall and those windows should be frequently cleaned to minimise this problem.

12 hours ago, lkn said:

I believe the primary motivation is to protect the wall from moisture damage by draining away the water that might otherwise end below the window and find its way through cracks in the wall, dissolve the mortar, or similar.

This is true. The cosmetic effect is secondary.

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So most units have it not seems to matter enclosed balcony or open style.

The surface area of the windows above the balcony wall is about 20x that of half the width of the balcony top. Think of the consequence should that 3.5m long window be fixed and not accessible for cleaning.

20 minutes ago, trogers said:

IMG_20171126_153222.jpg

Will be all accessible sliding windows..i might set the window a bit back 5 cm on the wall and or make sills. But Biggest issue remains will it be approved  by the commission who decides about it. I fear it was always approved in the past but maybe nowadays no more...

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Sills would solve that. In fact sliding the windows open once a week and wiping them would also solve it.

It's keeping those windows cleaned that would solve the problem. If there is a sill, it too has to be cleaned.

Unfortunately, many new condos now have large window areas but poorly designed panes that when opened cannot access part of areas to clean.

Some projects even incorporate curtain wall in some units and not in others, creating arguements on the use of common fees to employ spidermen for cleaning jobs to the benefit of certain co-owners.

Edited by trogers