Phuket temple faces investigation over Chinese tourist rip-offs

webfact

Phuket temple faces investigation over Chinese tourist rip-offs

The Phuket News

1511434042_1-org.jpg

Buddhism authority officials are to investigate the operations at Wat Tai in Chalong for price gouging Chinese tourists and even possible illegal construction. Photo: Chulcherm Yukol

PHUKET: The chief of the Phuket office of the National Office of Buddhism (NOB) has been called to investigate an allegedly illegally built chapel at Ladthiwanaram Temple – locally known simply as “Wat Tai” – in Chalong, where overpriced items and artefacts are sold to Chinese tourist who are brought to the chapel in droves.

Winya Pluskwa, who heads the Phuket NOB office, told The Phuket News that he intends to inspect the goings on at the temple tomorrow morning (Nov 24).

The investigation follows complaints by Chulcherm Yukol filed to the Phuket NOB office as well as to Chalong Mayor Samran Jindapol and the Damrongtham Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) at Provincial Hall.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-temple-faces-investigation-over-chinese-tourist-rip-offs-64830.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-24

Winya Pluskwa, who heads the Phuket NOB office, told The Phuket News that he intends to inspect the goings on at the temple tomorrow morning

If You're going to investigate possible wrong doings it's always best to give a bit of warning.

Mmm  theres a temple not two Kms from me as I type that busses in the tiddly winks daily

sells them the necessaries for wai'ing a three faced statue

then shepherds them into a dedicated building where Chinese speaking salesfolk inflict over priced 'gold' cased amulets upon them for prices ranging from 18000 to 330000THB

I simply don't visit temples anymore. I've seen enough. I know what can go on in them, and I simply have zero interest. Often I've been accused of being 'negative and disrespectful' for my lack of enthusiasm towards temples. Here is another story of why. But it's not something I didn't know already.  

The joys of being a libertarian who thinks rationally in the modern world. Believing people should have the right to do as they please. And then having to deal with people who believe that you should do what others do as not to upset their narcissistic and sensitive souls.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, Cereal said:

A Buddhist temple ripping off tourists is a new low in lows. Ya just gotta believe that somehow monk(s) are involved and that's just sad.

I believe a group of mainland Chinese is behind this.  There is also a similar operation near Chiang mai's Arcade bus terminal.