1 yr residence contract needed for annual ext to stay?

I rent my residence in LOS, often same house for varying period of time and occasionally return to the USA-then-LOS while my rental is still active.  I never spend over 88 days in LOS so I never require a 90day report.  I returned via BKK recently, spent 1 night in hotel and reported to my IMO in under 24 hrs, to report new address and submit a report of alien stay for my landlord. I also had re-rented, with new contract for 88 days.  While making my change of address I asked for my original contract back; the IMO agreed then told me that I had to have a "new 1 yr contract" when I made my next 90day report.  I explained that I planned to renew my req for extension of permission to stay (about 30 days ((conveniently)) before  a 90 day report is required and then I would be in the USA 1-3 months after that.

My friendly IMO seemed to think this all thru and then said I "would have to have a new contract because the extension was for 1 Yr ".  I am in hopes that this is just another event where the IMO was making up rules, realized the box she was in, and just attempting to save face with this encounter.  I have about 50 days to either forget the extension or cough up for a 1 year rental.  Has anyone else heard of this requirement?         Thanks

There is no requirement for you to have a 1 year rental contract to apply for an extension. I think the officer wanted it because most people do.

My wife did one that is indefinite on a month to month basis that immigration accepts. Perhaps you could do one like that if you are staying at the same residence all the time. 

Thanks UBJ,  This is what I expected (and hoped) to hear from you.  I considered this as well but occasionally this renter will accept a longer staying tenant and leave me wanting--in which case I find something elsewhere.  Guess I will try to avoid this young lady in January.