New workshop - bike hoist.

AllanB

Building a new small workshop, so I can spend another 3-4 years tinkering with my old bike, but in air-conditioned comfort. I was thinking about using a hoist and simple table for the bike, to save building a complicated lifting table. I can put a double (ladder type) ridge bar in the roof to handle 200kg load and can make up a simple pulley, or even a cheapo block and tackle.

Just wondered if anyone had seen this done before, a bike hoist and did it work, any problems? Also what is the best height for a bike table?

I have quite a bit of experience in lifting equipment, so safety won't be an issue, we have been making equipment for lifting horses and cows since '85. 

This shed of mine is not that big so a big table would be a problem for me too.

I currently have too chairs one with sawn off legs, trouble is I have trouble getting up after 20 minutes. It is not necessarily a disabled workshop, but a half way house.

I can't see my arthritis getting much better, hopefully not much worse, so this will give me an opportunity to keep tinkering for some years.

The Shadow is a 35 year old Jap bike, so the tinkering will be ongoing and when the faults are all sorted I plan on doing some frame mods, which will be easier with A/C.

Yes, never thought of that, a wooden table, with screw on legs would work. I could reemploy half of the timber as a bike ramp for my truck.

The other one I made was too short and the timber was appropriated as shuttering during the shed build.

The hoist would need to work from a single rope, so would still need a table, hard getting a spanner on a swinging/revolving bike.:shock1: