Connect Caos-linux Pc To Internet (true High Speed Internet Service)

Celegans

Hi. I am trying to install cAos linux on a hard drive on my pc desktop. During the installation, I could not yum to install the gnome desktop packages because the internet connection didn't work. Another issue is that I also have a pc laptop that already have fedora core 5 installed. It has been connected to internet (dhcp) before but when I tried to connect to modem from True-internet service, it just didn't work.

My general question is how do I connect a linux computer to True internet service? I have an adsl modem (BILLION BiPAC 5200SR2) with ethernet wire. Would I need a separate router to make the connection automatic to bypass the need of using the True program to connect?

Please pardon me if I am not very clear or confusing. I have used linux for a while but never have to do admin job until very recently.

Thank you very much for your time/help

He Celecans,

When you use a router from True, they probably to surely not work in a multi connection configuration. What I know is that True disables most of the functions in the routers with uploading special modified firmware.

I always say not buy your router from True, they sell good equipment but change the firmware so that it works like 20% what it can do. The Billion BiPAC 5200SR2is one of the best routers I ever work with...

Anyway I'm not a big believer of dhcp, for security issues I like to give all my workstations a dedicated address. Which to my feeling also works better. Some of us probably experience ultra slow startup of Linux computers, because the DHCP server cannot startup.

Anyway I'm not a big believer of dhcp, for security issues I like to give all my workstations a dedicated address. Which to my feeling also works better. Some of us probably experience ultra slow startup of Linux computers, because the DHCP server cannot startup.

Hi Richard Bkk,

Thanks very much for your reply. I did not intend to use the desktop as a server, just more like for being a terminal to connect to servers elsewhere. The desktop is at home. I did experience the slow startup with my laptop when I tried to startup linux when I hooked it with adsl modem from true. I fixed this by changing the network setting to dialup instead of dhcp. It speeds things up a lot.

I tried to use rp-pppoe client. It did connects to ip address of certain ips (i.e. the ips that show up when you netstat -np). However, I could not connect to anywhere else. I am not exactly sure why.

I am currently looking for a router that could replace true modem and allows to connect to linux. My brother seems to find a place to buy it. The price is not too bad. I might give it a try. Any suggestions?

I personal use a D-Link DSL-G604T combi-router (ADSL/router/Wireless), this router work very well with all my computers at home. We have Apple's, Windows PC's and several Linux boxes. We also have several other devices in the home who use the network, including a Sony Playstation.

The D-link DSL-G604T is one of the easiest to install wireless routers around, the setup let you select all settings. Which are very easy, just select a Thai Internet provicer and the D-link adjust the settings for you, basical you only need your True login and password to start using it.

For additional Ethernet connections we have 2 D-link DES-1008 switches connected to the D-link router.

Additional to the True ADSL connection we have also a Samart Wow 2048/512 ADSL connection which we mostly use to look TV channels and is basically only used by a small computer near our TV set (something like a media center). The Samart Wow connection is connected by a Billion Bipac 5102S (old True ADSL/router)

For future purchases we are thinking about buying a D-link DI-LB604 load balancer, which can combine our two ADSL connections to one more speedy connection. (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452&sec=0)

The D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL/combi-router cost around 2200 Baht

The D-Link DES-1008 switch cost aroun 800 Baht

The D-Link DI-LB-604 load balancer cost around 5000 Baht