PM apologises for outburst at fisherman

webfact

PM apologises for outburst at fisherman

By The Nation

060bf7643ca78f8810ba243f79ed311a.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday apologised for having raised his voice against a Pattani fisherman who had asked the premier to alleviate measures curbing fishing activities in order to keep up with international standards.

“The PM is upset for complaining about a fisherman yesterday in Pattani,” said a status update on Facebook page “Prayut Chan-o-cha’s team”.

“But please understand that the government has solved illegal fishery for the survival of the Thai fishery industry and its exports in line with our [international] commitment. This is also to maintain natural balances and to sustain our fishery for the future,” the page said.

The message came a day after Paranyu Charoen approached the premier during the latter’s field trip to Pattani, telling Prayut that he had suffered from the government’s regulation that limits fishermen to sailing out to sea on only 220 days a year.

“The limited number of days has caused me to face deficits in my fishery business,” Paranyu told Prayut with a loud voice to keep up with nearby speakers.

Prayut, understanding that Paranyu had yelled at him, scolded him and said: “Talk nice to me, don’t raise your voice to pressure me. The government is ready to listen to problems.

“We’re proceeding things but we also have to think of the fishery sector across the country and around the world. We’re not solving the problem for anyone in particular,”

Prayut’s scolding caused his secretary-general, General Vilas Aroonsri, to abruptly intervene and suggest that the 34-year-old fisherman submit a petition to the government-run Damrongdhamma Centre instead.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332708

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-28

Prayut “sorry” for yelling at fisherman

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37NuhTARKmysf4imTZtSVr7i

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is sorry for yelling at a fisherman during his meeting with local people in Pattani’s Nong Chik district on Monday (Nov 27), according to a message posted on his Facebook page by his staff.

The message was posted at about 8.30am on Tuesday (Nov 28) after a large number of netizens made critical remarks against the prime minister for doing so in the social media.

“The prime minister is sorry for yelling at a fisherman in Pattani yesterday. But, please understand that the government is trying to solve the problem over illegal fishing so that the Thai fishery industry can survive and exports can continue in line with our obligation. We also want to maintain the balance of nature for sustainable fisheries in the future. As for grievances made by the fishermen, the prime minister has ordered concerned agencies to look into them in detail,” said the posting.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-sorry-yelling-fisherman/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-28

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

The PM is upset for complaining about a fisherman yesterday in Pattani,” said a status update on Facebook page “Prayut Chan-o-cha’s team”.

Another case of the backroom lawyers, speech writers , and Spin Doctors covering up for bad in-your-face Behavior

45 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Me too !!....kudos to the PM for appologizing....no matter what one can think, but when a man with unquestionnable power does appologize, it gives him credit...sorry to the PM bashers in the house.

Anyone see him apologise? Or is it just a few minders saying it on his behalf? I suspect the latter, which means the square root of sod all.

6 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

Anyone see him apologise? Or is it just a few minders saying it on his behalf? I suspect the latter, which means the square root of sod all.

Kindly allow me some doubt that there would be people brave (or mindless) enough to speak on Thai social media, on the behalf of the PM, without the PM's approval or knowledge.

28 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

PM Prayut is a pathetic little man.

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

“But please understand that the government has solved illegal fishery for the survival of the Thai fishery industry

Have they?

No. Thailand is under a yellow card from the EU as evidence that the government hasn't yet solved the issue of illegal, unreported and unregulated (UII) fishing.

These fishermen protesting may be forced to reduced sailing time due to the government's efforts to address the overcapacity of the Thai fishing fleet which has been a huge driver of illegal fishing in the region. http://www.iuuwatch.eu/2017/06/thailands-efforts-eradicate-illegal-fishing-seafood-slavery-remain-inadequate/

Some of the owners in the South have refused to register their boats, purchase required compliance equipment and submit to compliance inspections of vessel and crews by deciding not to fish - but asking for compensation. To which Prayut has refused.

While Prayut seems to have been soft with rice and rubber farmers, he's been fairly firm with the fishermen. Perhaps that's because the viability agriculture is primarily a matter of internal policies whereas the viability of the fishing industry is more a matter of EU external policies.

Though, for once, PM Prayuth seems to have been quite right in what he said to the fisherman, about relativating the issues linked with fishing activities in Thailand I mean, I, alas, much too well, see him, with his 'communication skills'(erm...?), to have barked at the man as if he was a conscript stepping out of the ranks, daring to address the commanding officer reviewing the company... A soldier he is, and will remain until at least in his next life, alas! 'There have been some true genius' in the military, but it seems those all were already so well before wearing a uniform'... Not given to everyone, sorry, whatever this one might think of himself... 

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Kindly allow me some doubt that there would be people brave (or mindless) enough to speak on Thai social media, on the behalf of the PM, without the PM's approval or knowledge.

'The benefit of the doubt', three years and still ongoing, erm...? In 2006 (though a totally different 'ballgame' I admit) it took 'them' two years to realise they were screwing up really bad and let civilians plunder the coffers again, now, after three years it seems Thailand is just entering into the tunnel (you know, the long one, with the promised light at the end of it...). Is there, in any foreseeable future, a positive alternative for the country? I'm so very sorry to tell I seriously doubt it. But is 'this' bad? Oh, yes, it is! 

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Me too !!....kudos to the PM for appologizing....no matter what one can think, but when a man with unquestionnable power does appologize, it gives him credit...sorry to the PM bashers in the house.

Has he personally apologised?  A posting on a team facebook page (Facebook page “Prayut Chan-o-cha’s team”.) By a team member cleaning up his mess is hardly a sorry from Prayuth himself.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I agree. If they said anything, it would have been with his imprimatur. Which is what makes it worth sod all.

6 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

so the comments yesterday that is was noisy so he had to raise his voice is all nonsense, it wasn't noisy and he had a microphone. Yet people still make excuses for him

If that had been true, he would not have needed to apologise.

Stupid is rapidly becoming the new normal.

2 hours ago, kingkenny said:

so the comments yesterday that is was noisy so he had to raise his voice is all nonsense, it wasn't noisy and he had a microphone. Yet people still make excuses for him

Indeed.

The video says it all really. Shouting at what he no doubt sees as a peasant that doesn't know his place. Yet still the usual sycophants defend him. Quite a few threads they need to avoid these days. 

Let us not forget his background. The little man was a general. My guess is that few raise their voices to an army general. So, he is simply not able to adjust to the transition to public life, and he would rather be a dictator type, than a man who wears his power lightly. These occasional outbursts are who he truly is. The rest of the time he is trying very hard to be nice. Or at least nicer than usual. He is a mean spirited, small minded, misguided fool, with very limited intelligence and imagination. And he is imperious. Lastly, he is moving his country backwards, at an astonishing and alarming pace. He is one of the worst things that has ever happened to this nation.